DSL & Router - Routers

This is a discussion on DSL & Router - Routers ; Hi All, I have two computers networked together at present using a crossover cat5 cable. I have just ordered DSL service and don't know the answer to this question. I am getting a DSL modem with a router, so both ...

  1. DSL & Router

    Hi All,

    I have two computers networked together at present using a crossover
    cat5 cable. I have just ordered DSL service and don't know the answer
    to this question. I am getting a DSL modem with a router, so both PC's
    will plug into the router. The question is will I still need to use
    the crossover cable to network the two PC's or can I use the router
    for transferring files back and forth and sharing the printer I am now
    sharing?

    Thanks

    Later,
    Malcolm

  2. Re: DSL & Router

    Malcolm wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I have two computers networked together at present using a crossover
    > cat5 cable. I have just ordered DSL service and don't know the answer
    > to this question. I am getting a DSL modem with a router, so both PC's
    > will plug into the router. The question is will I still need to use
    > the crossover cable to network the two PC's or can I use the router
    > for transferring files back and forth and sharing the printer I am now
    > sharing?
    >

    > Thanks
    >
    > Later,
    > Malcolm

    You plug each computer into the router. Most routers will accept a
    crossover cable to connect a computer, although a straight through
    cable is used most often. Files would be transferred between computers
    via the router. And the priner sharing would also be via the router.
    You may need to change the configuration to get your new network working.

    Good luck, jimbo

  3. Re: DSL & Router

    You will network them through the router. If you get a router with a
    printserver, you'll be able to connect the printer as a node as well or else
    you'll need to have the PC that the printer is attached to on in order to
    print

    "Malcolm" wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I have two computers networked together at present using a crossover
    > cat5 cable. I have just ordered DSL service and don't know the answer
    > to this question. I am getting a DSL modem with a router, so both PC's
    > will plug into the router. The question is will I still need to use
    > the crossover cable to network the two PC's or can I use the router
    > for transferring files back and forth and sharing the printer I am now
    > sharing?
    >

    > Thanks
    >
    > Later,
    > Malcolm

  4. Re: DSL & Router

    On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 09:22:26 -0500, "RBM" this)@optonline.net> wrote:

    >You will network them through the router. If you get a router with a
    >printserver, you'll be able to connect the printer as a node as well or else
    >you'll need to have the PC that the printer is attached to on in order to
    >print
    >

    >"Malcolm" wrote in message
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> I have two computers networked together at present using a crossover
    >> cat5 cable. I have just ordered DSL service and don't know the answer
    >> to this question. I am getting a DSL modem with a router, so both PC's
    >> will plug into the router. The question is will I still need to use
    >> the crossover cable to network the two PC's or can I use the router
    >> for transferring files back and forth and sharing the printer I am now
    >> sharing?
    >>

    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Later,
    >> Malcolm

    Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it.

    Thanks

    Later,
    Malcolm

+ Reply to Thread