Wireless Question from Newbie. - Routers

This is a discussion on Wireless Question from Newbie. - Routers ; I currently have wired home network in place using a DLink D1-604 router. I have 3 desktops and I have my laptop from work. The laptop has built in wireless so the question is. If I buy a wireless router.... ...

  1. Wireless Question from Newbie.

    I currently have wired home network in place using a DLink D1-604 router.
    I have 3 desktops and I have my laptop from work. The laptop has built in
    wireless so the question is. If I buy a wireless router.... can I use the
    new wireless router and use cables to plug in the desktops and use the
    laptop as wireless or do I need to buy wireless cards for each desktop PC.
    Also -- any recommendations for which wireless router to purchase.

    thanks
    RDG

  2. Re: Wireless Question from Newbie.

    Most garden variety wireless routers, Dlink, Linksys, netgear, all provide 4
    Ethernet ports, so yes, you would connect your existing wired computers just
    like they are now, and the wireless laptop would connect through its
    wireless card.

    "RDG" wrote in message
    >I currently have wired home network in place using a DLink D1-604 router.
    >I have 3 desktops and I have my laptop from work. The laptop has built in
    >wireless so the question is. If I buy a wireless router.... can I use the
    >new wireless router and use cables to plug in the desktops and use the
    >laptop as wireless or do I need to buy wireless cards for each desktop PC.
    > Also -- any recommendations for which wireless router to purchase.
    >
    > thanks
    > RDG

  3. Re: Wireless Question from Newbie.

    this router is capable of connecting atleast 16 wireless systems and
    four wired systems,configuring the router depends upon the Type of
    internet connection,for cable connection you just need to do a physical
    connection,for dsl connection,there is something called PPPoE sttings
    which needs to be configured,it can be configured in 2 ways ,1 using
    the cd for the router,
    2. need to got to the router page and need to type the user name and
    the password for the internet connection

    RDG wrote:
    > I currently have wired home network in place using a DLink D1-604 router.
    > I have 3 desktops and I have my laptop from work. The laptop has built in
    > wireless so the question is. If I buy a wireless router.... can I use the
    > new wireless router and use cables to plug in the desktops and use the
    > laptop as wireless or do I need to buy wireless cards for each desktop PC.
    > Also -- any recommendations for which wireless router to purchase.
    >
    > thanks
    > RDG

  4. Re: Wireless Question from Newbie.

    wrote in message
    news:1140997088.410949.232890@j33g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com
    > this router is capable of connecting atleast 16 wireless
    > systems and
    > four wired systems,configuring the router depends upon the Type
    > of
    > internet connection,for cable connection you just need to do a
    > physical connection,for dsl connection,there is something
    > called
    > PPPoE sttings which needs to be configured,it can be configured
    > in
    > 2 ways ,1 using the cd for the router,
    > 2. need to got to the router page and need to type the user
    > name and
    > the password for the internet connection
    >
    > RDG wrote:
    > > I currently have wired home network in place using a DLink
    > > D1-604 router. I have 3 desktops and I have my laptop from
    > > work.
    > > The laptop has built in wireless so the question is. If I
    > > buy a
    > > wireless router.... can I use the new wireless router and use
    > > cables to plug in the desktops and use the laptop as wireless
    > > or
    > > do I need to buy wireless cards for each desktop PC. Also --
    > > any
    > > recommendations for which wireless router to purchase.
    > >
    > > thanks
    > > RDG

    Not all ISP's use PPPoE, some use DHCP.

    --