crossover cable - Routers

This is a discussion on crossover cable - Routers ; Help....I currently run a crossover cable into my main computer to connect a spare to the internet....I was looking to add a laptop and wireless router...any chance I could keep the crossover cable to connect to a router, or would ...

  1. crossover cable

    Help....I currently run a crossover cable into my main computer to connect a
    spare to the internet....I was looking to add a laptop and wireless
    router...any chance I could keep the crossover cable to connect to a
    router, or would I have to run regular cable to the spare????

  2. Re: crossover cable

    You would use straight through cable from modem to router and router to pc's

    "Greg" wrote in message
    > Help....I currently run a crossover cable into my main computer to connect
    > a spare to the internet....I was looking to add a laptop and wireless
    > router...any chance I could keep the crossover cable to connect to a
    > router, or would I have to run regular cable to the spare????

  3. Re: crossover cable

    My problem is I have run 30' of cable through my house and would prefer not
    to replace it.... how about adapters???if it's just 2 pair of crossed
    wires??? or programing the router...It technically should not be impossible,
    I'm just hoping someone has attempted this...

    "RBM" wrote in message
    > You would use straight through cable from modem to router and router to
    > pc's
    >

    > "Greg" wrote in message
    >> Help....I currently run a crossover cable into my main computer to
    >> connect a spare to the internet....I was looking to add a laptop and
    >> wireless router...any chance I could keep the crossover cable to connect
    >> to a router, or would I have to run regular cable to the spare????

  4. Re: crossover cable

    If it's Cat5, it's four pair, although only four wires are needed for
    Ethernet. I believe I Googled and found adaptors for what you want. You
    could also put new ends on the cables

    "Greg" wrote in message
    > My problem is I have run 30' of cable through my house and would prefer
    > not to replace it.... how about adapters???if it's just 2 pair of crossed
    > wires??? or programing the router...It technically should not be
    > impossible, I'm just hoping someone has attempted this...
    >

    > "RBM" wrote in message
    >> You would use straight through cable from modem to router and router to
    >> pc's
    >>

    >> "Greg" wrote in message
    >>> Help....I currently run a crossover cable into my main computer to
    >>> connect a spare to the internet....I was looking to add a laptop and
    >>> wireless router...any chance I could keep the crossover cable to connect
    >>> to a router, or would I have to run regular cable to the spare????

  5. Re: crossover cable

    Greg wrote:
    > Help....I currently run a crossover cable into my main computer to connect a
    > spare to the internet....I was looking to add a laptop and wireless
    > router...any chance I could keep the crossover cable to connect to a
    > router, or would I have to run regular cable to the spare????

    Most routers will use either a straight or cross over cable for
    connections from LAN ports to computers or other switches or routers.
    I think you would need a straight cable from cable moden to the WAN
    port of the router. If you have a long crossover cable that you want
    to convert to a straight through cable, just get another short
    crossover cable and a regular connector. Plug your long crossover
    cable into one end and your short cross over cable into the other end.
    You now have a long straight through cable.

    Good luck, jimbo

  6. Re: crossover cable

    A wireless pci card for the old computer and eliminate the cable altogether?

    Fitz

  7. Re: crossover cable

    If your router has 'auto-sensing' ports, then you can use EITHER a
    straight-through or cross-over and the router should pick up the difference.
    Most new routers & switches have all LAN ports as auto-sensing. Some older
    routers/switches only have ONE port that is auto-sensing (e.g. LAN port 1).

    Alternately, get a pair of testers, some CAT5 ends and a crimper and rewire
    the existing cables. By putting the powered tester on one end of the
    crossover that is straight-through, you need only snip, re-end and test the
    other end. Should be able to do it in 6-8 attempts.

    HTH,
    D.

    "Greg" wrote in message
    > Help....I currently run a crossover cable into my main computer to connect

    > spare to the internet....I was looking to add a laptop and wireless
    > router...any chance I could keep the crossover cable to connect to a
    > router, or would I have to run regular cable to the spare????

  8. Re: crossover cable

    That looks like the answer I was hoping for,,, Thanks a bunch

    PS Thanks as well to Jimbo with the way too simple low tech solution..

    "Snowman" wrote in message
    > If your router has 'auto-sensing' ports, then you can use EITHER a
    > straight-through or cross-over and the router should pick up the
    > difference.
    > Most new routers & switches have all LAN ports as auto-sensing. Some older
    > routers/switches only have ONE port that is auto-sensing (e.g. LAN port
    > 1).
    >
    > Alternately, get a pair of testers, some CAT5 ends and a crimper and
    > rewire
    > the existing cables. By putting the powered tester on one end of the
    > crossover that is straight-through, you need only snip, re-end and test
    > the
    > other end. Should be able to do it in 6-8 attempts.
    >
    > HTH,
    > D.
    >
    > "Greg" wrote in message
    >> Help....I currently run a crossover cable into my main computer to
    >> connect

    >> spare to the internet....I was looking to add a laptop and wireless
    >> router...any chance I could keep the crossover cable to connect to a
    >> router, or would I have to run regular cable to the spare????

  9. Re: crossover cable

    "Greg" wrote in message
    > That looks like the answer I was hoping for,,, Thanks a bunch
    >
    > PS Thanks as well to Jimbo with the way too simple low tech solution..

    just ensure that under "autosense" the manufacturer really means to detect
    automatically if it is a crossover cable or not, sometimes "autosense" is
    is used to adapt automatically to the speed 10 Mbit or 100Mbit.
    just my two cents

+ Reply to Thread