AP versus router used as AP: why the price difference? - Routers

This is a discussion on AP versus router used as AP: why the price difference? - Routers ; It seems that it is a lot less expensive to use a router and restrict it to use as a wireless access point only than to purchase a dedicated access point from the same company, like Linksys, D-Link, or Netgear. ...

  1. AP versus router used as AP: why the price difference?

    It seems that it is a lot less expensive to use a router and restrict it
    to use as a wireless access point only than to purchase a dedicated
    access point from the same company, like Linksys, D-Link, or Netgear.
    Am I missing something here or should I not consider just using a router
    as an access point?

    Thanks
    Ken

  2. Re: AP versus router used as AP: why the price difference?

    Ken wrote:
    > It seems that it is a lot less expensive to use a router and restrict it
    > to use as a wireless access point only than to purchase a dedicated
    > access point from the same company, like Linksys, D-Link, or Netgear. Am
    > I missing something here or should I not consider just using a router as
    > an access point?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Ken

    I think some/most access points can be configured as a bridge between
    two LANs. Most/all routers will not have this capability. If all you
    want is local wireless capability, a router configured as an access
    point will do just fine.

    Good luck, jimbo

  3. Re: AP versus router used as AP: why the price difference?

    jimbo wrote:
    > Ken wrote:
    >
    >> It seems that it is a lot less expensive to use a router and restrict
    >> it to use as a wireless access point only than to purchase a dedicated
    >> access point from the same company, like Linksys, D-Link, or Netgear.
    >> Am I missing something here or should I not consider just using a
    >> router as an access point?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Ken

    > I think some/most access points can be configured as a bridge between
    > two LANs. Most/all routers will not have this capability. If all you
    > want is local wireless capability, a router configured as an access
    > point will do just fine.
    >
    > Good luck, jimbo

    Thanks. That works for me.
    KK