multiple routers? - Routers

This is a discussion on multiple routers? - Routers ; Hi, Is it possible to have 2 routers connected to the internet, and have a user who is usually on one LAN optionally switch to the other? The user wants to choose his connection to the internet (through router1 or ...

  1. multiple routers?

    Hi,

    Is it possible to have 2 routers connected to the internet, and have a
    user who is usually on one LAN optionally switch to the other? The user
    wants to choose his connection to the internet (through router1 or router2).

    Any ideas for configurations of this setup?

    THanks,
    Brett.

  2. Re: multiple routers?

    Yes this is possible, i had to write a VB script to this. i will have a
    look for you

  3. Re: multiple routers?

    barkingmadscot wrote:
    > Yes this is possible, i had to write a VB script to this. i will have a
    > look for you

    Thanks, Even a conceptual view will be helpful.

    Thanks,
    Brett.

  4. Re: multiple routers?

    Brett wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Is it possible to have 2 routers connected to the internet, and have a
    > user who is usually on one LAN optionally switch to the other? The user
    > wants to choose his connection to the internet (through router1 or router2).
    >
    > Any ideas for configurations of this setup?
    >
    > THanks,
    > Brett.

    Would each router connect to the Internet via different cable/DSL modems?

    jimbo

  5. Re: multiple routers?

    jimbo wrote:
    > Brett wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Is it possible to have 2 routers connected to the internet, and have a
    >> user who is usually on one LAN optionally switch to the other? The user
    >> wants to choose his connection to the internet (through router1 or
    >> router2).
    >>
    >> Any ideas for configurations of this setup?
    >>
    >> THanks,
    >> Brett.

    > Would each router connect to the Internet via different cable/DSL modems?
    >
    > jimbo

    No, a single modem, but each router would be assigned its own static IP
    address.

    Brett.

  6. Re: multiple routers?

    Brett wrote:
    > jimbo wrote:
    >
    >>Brett wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>Is it possible to have 2 routers connected to the internet, and have a
    >>>user who is usually on one LAN optionally switch to the other? The user
    >>>wants to choose his connection to the internet (through router1 or
    >>>router2).
    >>>
    >>>Any ideas for configurations of this setup?
    >>>
    >>>THanks,
    >>>Brett.

    >>Would each router connect to the Internet via different cable/DSL modems?
    >>
    >>jimbo

    > No, a single modem, but each router would be assigned its own static IP
    > address.
    >
    > Brett.

    The modems I have used have only one WAN port for connecting routers
    or PCs. Do you intend to have the modem connected to one router WAN
    port and then the second router connected to the first via LAN ports?

    jimbo

  7. Re: multiple routers?

    jimbo wrote:
    > Brett wrote:
    >
    >> jimbo wrote:

    >>> Would each router connect to the Internet via different cable/DSL
    >>> modems?
    >>>
    >>> jimbo

    >> No, a single modem, but each router would be assigned its own static IP
    >> address.
    >>
    >> Brett.

    > The modems I have used have only one WAN port for connecting routers or
    > PCs. Do you intend to have the modem connected to one router WAN port
    > and then the second router connected to the first via LAN ports?
    >
    > jimbo

    Yes, as you say. The modem only has one port. The second modem would be
    connected to the first via its LAN port.

    Brett.

  8. Re: multiple routers?

    Brett wrote:
    > jimbo wrote:
    >
    >>Brett wrote:

    >>>No, a single modem, but each router would be assigned its own static IP
    >>>address.
    >>>
    >>>Brett.

    >>The modems I have used have only one WAN port for connecting routers or
    >>PCs. Do you intend to have the modem connected to one router WAN port
    >>and then the second router connected to the first via LAN ports?
    >>
    >>jimbo

    > Yes, as you say. The modem only has one port. The second modem would be
    > connected to the first via its LAN port.
    >
    > Brett.

    You said earlier that you only had ONE modem. Now you talk about TWO
    modems.

    If you have one modem and one router connected to that modem, then a
    second router connected to the ROUTER via the LAN ports, and
    everything was wireless, you could connect to which ever router you
    wanted. Just set up each wireless router with a unique SSID and channel.

    Good luck, jimbo

  9. Re: multiple routers?

    jimbo wrote:
    > Brett wrote:
    >
    >> jimbo wrote:

    >>> The modems I have used have only one WAN port for connecting routers or
    >>> PCs. Do you intend to have the modem connected to one router WAN port
    >>> and then the second router connected to the first via LAN ports?
    >>>
    >>> jimbo

    >> Yes, as you say. The modem only has one port. The second modem would be
    >> connected to the first via its LAN port.
    >>
    >> Brett.

    > You said earlier that you only had ONE modem. Now you talk about TWO
    > modems.
    >
    > If you have one modem and one router connected to that modem, then a
    > second router connected to the ROUTER via the LAN ports, and everything
    > was wireless, you could connect to which ever router you wanted. Just
    > set up each wireless router with a unique SSID and channel.
    >
    > Good luck, jimbo

    Oops, I made a mistake. I meant "The second ROUTER would be connected to
    the first via its LAN port."

    The router's aren't wireless.

    Brett.

  10. Re: multiple routers?

    Brett wrote:
    > jimbo wrote:
    >
    >>Brett wrote:

    >>>Yes, as you say. The modem only has one port. The second modem would be
    >>>connected to the first via its LAN port.
    >>>
    >>>Brett.

    >>You said earlier that you only had ONE modem. Now you talk about TWO
    >>modems.
    >>
    >>If you have one modem and one router connected to that modem, then a
    >>second router connected to the ROUTER via the LAN ports, and everything
    >>was wireless, you could connect to which ever router you wanted. Just
    >>set up each wireless router with a unique SSID and channel.
    >>
    >>Good luck, jimbo

    > Oops, I made a mistake. I meant "The second ROUTER would be connected to
    > the first via its LAN port."
    >
    > The router's aren't wireless.
    >
    > Brett.

    I suppose you could install two nics in your PC, one nic connected to
    router #1 and one nic connected to router #2. I don't know why you
    want to do that or what you hope to accomplish.

    Good luck, jimbo

  11. Re: multiple routers?

    jimbo wrote:
    > Brett wrote:
    >> jimbo wrote:

    >>> You said earlier that you only had ONE modem. Now you talk about TWO
    >>> modems.
    >>>
    >>> If you have one modem and one router connected to that modem, then a
    >>> second router connected to the ROUTER via the LAN ports, and everything
    >>> was wireless, you could connect to which ever router you wanted. Just
    >>> set up each wireless router with a unique SSID and channel.
    >>>
    >>> Good luck, jimbo

    >> Oops, I made a mistake. I meant "The second ROUTER would be connected to
    >> the first via its LAN port."
    >>
    >> The router's aren't wireless.
    >>
    >> Brett.

    > I suppose you could install two nics in your PC, one nic connected to
    > router #1 and one nic connected to router #2. I don't know why you want
    > to do that or what you hope to accomplish.
    >
    > Good luck, jimbo

    Yeah, I thought of that, but I was hoping for a more elegant solution.
    I'm trying to give one user the option of switching their external IP
    address by going through different routers. I dont know much about IP
    spoofing, and thought this might be a good way of doing it legitimately.

    Brett.

+ Reply to Thread