Says 10/100/1000 but transfering at 4MBps... - Routers

This is a discussion on Says 10/100/1000 but transfering at 4MBps... - Routers ; Hello, I have a FreeBSD file server in the office. All NICs and routers are 10/100/1000 and all cables are category 7. This is because employees work with large files most of the time (>10MB), and we need speed, but ...

  1. Says 10/100/1000 but transfering at 4MBps...

    Hello, I have a FreeBSD file server in the office. All NICs and routers
    are 10/100/1000 and all cables are category 7. This is because employees
    work with large files most of the time (>10MB), and we need speed, but
    still, the network is slow. If I transfer a large file such as a CD image
    (.iso file), it transfers at 4MBps, although the leds on the routers shows
    1000Kbps. There are 3 leds on the switches: 1 for 10Kbps, another one for
    100Kbps (the connection to the DSL modem shows 100kbps), and the other one
    for 1000Kbps (all computers and the server show 1000kbps).
    All computers use 7,200rpm HDDs and the server uses 10,000rpm HDDs,
    Athlon64, at least 1GB RAM, and high-end equipment in general.

    Any idea why I'm transfering so slowly?
    Thanks,

    --
    Charles.

    Desenvolvimento e criação de sites: www.auriance.com
    Hospedagem de sites e servidores dedicados: www.auriance.net

  2. Re: Says 10/100/1000 but transfering at 4MBps...

    You need to go to each nic and set it for "100 Full" the default is
    10mbps. Be carefull though, when I did it to my network it actually
    got slower. This is what the network guys at work said to you have to
    do in order to get high speed transfers.
    YMMV

    On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 10:35:12 -0300, Charles wrote:

    >Hello, I have a FreeBSD file server in the office. All NICs and routers
    >are 10/100/1000 and all cables are category 7. This is because employees
    >work with large files most of the time (>10MB), and we need speed, but
    >still, the network is slow. If I transfer a large file such as a CD image
    >(.iso file), it transfers at 4MBps, although the leds on the routers shows
    >1000Kbps. There are 3 leds on the switches: 1 for 10Kbps, another one for
    >100Kbps (the connection to the DSL modem shows 100kbps), and the other one
    >for 1000Kbps (all computers and the server show 1000kbps).
    >All computers use 7,200rpm HDDs and the server uses 10,000rpm HDDs,
    >Athlon64, at least 1GB RAM, and high-end equipment in general.
    >
    >Any idea why I'm transfering so slowly?
    >Thanks,

  3. Re: Says 10/100/1000 but transfering at 4MBps...

    Em Fri, 17 Feb 2006 21:09:21 -0300, f/fgeorge
    escreveu:

    > You need to go to each nic and set it for "100 Full" the default is
    > 10mbps.

    Thank you... How do I do that on FreeBSD and on Windows? Do you have a
    tutorial or good links?
    Thanks,

    Charles.

  4. Re: Says 10/100/1000 but transfering at 4MBps...

    On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 09:41:49 -0300, Charles wrote:

    >Em Fri, 17 Feb 2006 21:09:21 -0300, f/fgeorge
    >escreveu:
    >
    >> You need to go to each nic and set it for "100 Full" the default is
    >> 10mbps.

    >Thank you... How do I do that on FreeBSD and on Windows? Do you have a
    >tutorial or good links?
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Charles.

    For FreeBSD not a clue, for Windows find my network connection and do
    a right click on the icon, then a left click on properties. Then do a
    right click on local area connection, then a left click on properties.
    Then at the top where it shows the type of network card you have there
    is a configure button, click it. Then you will see some tabs at the
    top, click advanced then you will see a list of stuff with a box of
    options next to it. Click on each until you see the one that talks
    about the speed of the card, mine says speed and duplex, mine is now
    set at auto-sense. That is the option you change in the box of
    options. Click on the arrow and you should see all your options of 10
    half, 10 full, 100 half, 100 full and auto-sense.
    Auto-sense equals 10 half.
    Theoritically auto-sense will sense that you have a high speed
    connection and automatically raise it to the highest it can. But if
    you have different types of cards it doesn't do that, because they are
    not EXACTLY the same.

  5. Re: Says 10/100/1000 but transfering at 4MBps...

    Em Sun, 19 Feb 2006 10:27:04 -0300, f/fgeorge
    escreveu:

    > For FreeBSD not a clue, for Windows find my network connection and do
    > a right click on the icon, then a left click on properties.

    Thank you... I only have "My Network places" but then the options are
    different.
    Cheers,

    Charles.

  6. Re: Says 10/100/1000 but transfering at 4MBps...

    On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 13:52:54 -0300, Charles wrote:

    >Em Sun, 19 Feb 2006 10:27:04 -0300, f/fgeorge
    >escreveu:
    >
    >> For FreeBSD not a clue, for Windows find my network connection and do
    >> a right click on the icon, then a left click on properties.

    >Thank you... I only have "My Network places" but then the options are
    >different.
    >Cheers,
    >
    >Charles.

    WEll start clicking on your options then, something will come up that
    lets you adjust the network cards settings.

+ Reply to Thread