Difference bewteen router and switches - Routers

This is a discussion on Difference bewteen router and switches - Routers ; Hello All, i am new to this group and also to networking. from the snmpwalk files how to differentaiate between a router and a switch. does switches have IP?...

  1. Difference bewteen router and switches

    Hello All,
    i am new to this group and also to networking.

    from the snmpwalk files how to differentaiate between a router and a
    switch.

    does switches have IP?

  2. Re: Difference bewteen router and switches

    BlackHole wrote:
    > Hello All,
    > i am new to this group and also to networking.
    >
    > from the snmpwalk files how to differentaiate between a router and a
    > switch.
    >
    > does switches have IP?

    Nope.

    Good luck, jimbo

  3. Re: Difference bewteen router and switches

    From: "BlackHole"

    | Hello All,
    | i am new to this group and also to networking.
    |
    | from the snmpwalk files how to differentaiate between a router and a
    | switch.
    |
    | does switches have IP?

    Sounds like you are new to neworking - period !

    Switched may or may not have an IP address. I could be using a Ethernet switch used with
    IPX/SPX protocol and it will do quite nicely.
    However, if it is a managed Ethernet switch then it will have IP address for SNMP,
    BootP/TFTP and other protocols.

    The Router may have an IP address but if it is designed to only route a protocol like
    IPX/SPX it won't.

    Now I don't know what you mean by "snmpwalk files " but I'll take a guess it is a SNMP
    examination software for walking through the MIB of a SNMP managed device. When Browsing
    the SNMP MIB it will define the device and ist function such as being an Ethernet switch or
    a Router or a Print Server, etc.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm