Netgear WPN824 or Belkin F5D8230-4? - Routers

This is a discussion on Netgear WPN824 or Belkin F5D8230-4? - Routers ; Decided I wanted to upgrade my wireless from the USR 8054 to one of the newer Pre-N setup's.... Any preference or reccomendations? Current setup in household: 3 desktops on the second floor 2 laptops: roaming 2 desktops in the basement ...

  1. Netgear WPN824 or Belkin F5D8230-4?

    Decided I wanted to upgrade my wireless from the USR 8054 to one of the
    newer Pre-N setup's....
    Any preference or reccomendations?

    Current setup in household:

    3 desktops on the second floor
    2 laptops: roaming
    2 desktops in the basement
    Current USR 8054 located on the 1st floor

    Thanks...

  2. Re: Netgear WPN824 or Belkin F5D8230-4?

    Hello,

    I have the WPN824 which I use in a small 3 pc network at home. Two PCs are
    connected by wire and the third in another room, by wireless. I made sure
    that I had the latest firmware for the router. To ensure that I did not
    have compatability problems, I have the Netgear WPN111 usb adapter for that
    thrid PC.

    I have had no problems whatsoever with the speed and function of the WPN824.
    However, when I first got it a month ago, I noted that there is now a
    version two of this router referred to at the Netgear website. I have
    version one. I am not sure what the differences are, but I was at first a
    liitle annoyed that I may have bought an older device to the one advertised.
    It seems that V2 only came out in January 06. At the Netgear downloads
    (support) site, they have different firmware updates for these variants of
    the WPN824.

    http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/WPN824.asp

    Anyway, I am happy with the operation of my V1

    You might also wish to consider the later WPNT834. It is a little dearer
    but I think perhaps it is an improvement on the WPN824 in that Netgear are
    overtly promoting the WPNT834 as ideal for video streaming etc.

    http://www.netgear.com/products/details/WPNT834.php

    Regards,
    Shane

    "GuitarMan" wrote in message
    > Decided I wanted to upgrade my wireless from the USR 8054 to one of the
    > newer Pre-N setup's....
    > Any preference or reccomendations?
    >

    > Current setup in household:
    >
    > 3 desktops on the second floor
    > 2 laptops: roaming
    > 2 desktops in the basement
    > Current USR 8054 located on the 1st floor
    >
    > Thanks...

+ Reply to Thread