Can't access router without changing adapter settings - Routers

This is a discussion on Can't access router without changing adapter settings - Routers ; Every time I restart the computer, I lose my internet connection and acess to my router setup. To fix the problem, I have to go into Network Connections, change my network adapter settings from "Obtain an IP address automatically" to ...

  1. Can't access router without changing adapter settings

    Every time I restart the computer, I lose my internet connection and
    acess to my router setup. To fix the problem, I have to go into
    Network Connections, change my network adapter settings from "Obtain an
    IP address automatically" to a specific address, confirm the change,
    and then change it BACK to "automatic". Only then can I acess the
    router, or the internet.

    Setup:
    Win XP Home PC
    Marvell Yukon Network adapter
    Linksys WRT54GS wireless router, IP 192.192.1.1
    DSL internet, PPoE connection

    Any help would be appreciated

    Thanks

    Dave_t

  2. Re: Can't access router without changing adapter settings

    Compare the working and non-working host configurations using ipconfig/all.

  3. Re: Can't access router without changing adapter settings

    dave_t wrote:
    > Every time I restart the computer, I lose my internet connection and
    > acess to my router setup. To fix the problem, I have to go into
    > Network Connections, change my network adapter settings from "Obtain an
    > IP address automatically" to a specific address, confirm the change,
    > and then change it BACK to "automatic". Only then can I acess the
    > router, or the internet.

    I think without you rebooting the machine, the static or specific IP you
    have assigned is still being used, even though you have changed the NIC
    back to Obtain an IP Automatically. You can check this using IPconfig
    /all at the Command Prompt to see what IP the machine is using a static
    IP on the router you assigned or a DHCP IP from the DHCP server on the
    router. You boot the machine again, then the computer tries to Obtain a
    DHCP IP automatically from the router and it cannot do it and the O/S
    is most likely assigning the 169.254 IP to the NIC meaning that the O/S
    couldn't get an IP from the DHCP server on the router and has timed out,
    which again you can see what IP the machine has by doing IPconfig /all.

    If the IP is 169.254.xxx.xxx, then the IP will allow the machine to
    access other machines on the LAN but the IP will not allow the machine
    to access the Internet or the router's Admin. Setup, since it's not
    using an IP from the router.

    This is usually due to some kind of mis-configuration or something is
    going defective, like the NIC, the router or the cable something along
    those lines that.

    You can try IPconfig /release and IPconfig /renew to see if the machine
    will Obtain a DHCP IP from the router after you have set the NIC to
    Obtain an IP Automatically.

    > Setup:
    > Win XP Home PC
    > Marvell Yukon Network adapter
    > Linksys WRT54GS wireless router, IP 192.192.1.1
    > DSL internet, PPoE connection
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated

    Try swapping the NIC with another machine and see if the problem follows.

    Duane

  4. Re: Can't access router without changing adapter settings

    I had the same problem after I installed BW-Meter 2.40 (cracked).
    After I removed this program all works fine.

    D.

    On 12 Feb 2006 19:21:04 -0800, "dave_t"
    wrote:

    >Every time I restart the computer, I lose my internet connection and
    >acess to my router setup. To fix the problem, I have to go into
    >Network Connections, change my network adapter settings from "Obtain an
    >IP address automatically" to a specific address, confirm the change,
    >and then change it BACK to "automatic". Only then can I acess the
    >router, or the internet.
    >
    >Setup:
    >Win XP Home PC
    >Marvell Yukon Network adapter
    >Linksys WRT54GS wireless router, IP 192.192.1.1
    >DSL internet, PPoE connection
    >
    >Any help would be appreciated
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Dave_t