How smart is my router? - Routers

This is a discussion on How smart is my router? - Routers ; Hey, All, Below is my home network layout. As what might qualify as stupid question of the year: If I use Firefox on PC #1 to download a file, but I save it to PC #2, is the file's journey ...

  1. How smart is my router?

    Hey, All,

    Below is my home network layout. As what might qualify as stupid
    question of the year: If I use Firefox on PC #1 to download a file, but
    I save it to PC #2, is the file's journey Router->PC#1->Router->PC#2?
    Is it possible for my Linksys WRT-54G v2 router to put the download
    directly on PC#2?

    Thanks,
    -jc

    -------- -------
    DSL | | | |
    -------------------| Router |--------| PC #2 |
    | | | |
    -------- -------

    -------
    | |
    | PC #1 |
    | |
    -------

  2. Re: How smart is my router?

    No.

  3. Re: How smart is my router?

    No, it's not. Also, note that your file transfer between PCs takes
    place through the switch portion of the router without the involvement
    of the router software.

    jdoerr wrote:
    > Hey, All,
    >
    > Below is my home network layout. As what might qualify as stupid
    > question of the year: If I use Firefox on PC #1 to download a file, but
    > I save it to PC #2, is the file's journey Router->PC#1->Router->PC#2?
    > Is it possible for my Linksys WRT-54G v2 router to put the download
    > directly on PC#2?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > -jc
    >
    > -------- -------
    > DSL | | | |
    > -------------------| Router |--------| PC #2 |
    > | | | |
    > -------- -------
    > |

    > -------
    > | |
    > | PC #1 |
    > | |
    > -------

  4. Re: How smart is my router?

    jdoerr wrote:
    > Hey, All,
    >
    > Below is my home network layout. As what might qualify as stupid
    > question of the year: If I use Firefox on PC #1 to download a file, but
    > I save it to PC #2, is the file's journey Router->PC#1->Router->PC#2? Is
    > it possible for my Linksys WRT-54G v2 router to put the download
    > directly on PC#2?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > -jc
    >
    > -------- -------
    > DSL | | | |
    > -------------------| Router |--------| PC #2 |
    > | | | |
    > -------- -------
    > |

    > -------
    > | |
    > | PC #1 |
    > | |
    > -------

    Yes but you have to have access to a shared folder on that system so you
    can save it there.....Dont ask. That needs some more investigation. Some
    one here will know..

  5. Re: How smart is my router?

    Jonno wrote:

    > jdoerr wrote:
    >
    >> Hey, All,
    >>
    >> Below is my home network layout. As what might qualify as stupid
    >> question of the year: If I use Firefox on PC #1 to download a file,
    >> but I save it to PC #2, is the file's journey
    >> Router->PC#1->Router->PC#2? Is it possible for my Linksys WRT-54G v2
    >> router to put the download directly on PC#2?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> -jc
    >>
    >> -------- -------
    >> DSL | | | |
    >> -------------------| Router |--------| PC #2 |
    >> | | | |
    >> -------- -------
    >> |

    >> -------
    >> | |
    >> | PC #1 |
    >> | |
    >> -------
    >>

    > Yes but you have to have access to a shared folder on that system so
    > you can save it there.....Dont ask. That needs some more
    > investigation. Some one here will know..

    Further to this problem. If you have a shared network disk you can do
    this...Just save it to this disk.. End of problem..

+ Reply to Thread