FASTER SPEEDS with WRT54G ??? - Routers

This is a discussion on FASTER SPEEDS with WRT54G ??? - Routers ; Hi all, I have a Linksys BEFW11S4 Version 3 wireless router. It works great--no problems. Will a WRT54G router be any faster on the wireless than the BEFW114 ??? I have 1 wired computer and 3 wireless computers. The wired ...

  1. FASTER SPEEDS with WRT54G ???

    Hi all,

    I have a Linksys BEFW11S4 Version 3 wireless router. It works great--no
    problems. Will a WRT54G router be any faster on the wireless than the BEFW114
    ??? I have 1 wired computer and 3 wireless computers. The wired one sees 8M
    download speeds, and 1.2M upload speeds. All the wireless computers see the same
    upload speed but only about 3M downloads. I read somewhere that this is due to
    the WAN port on the BEFW11S4. Is the WRT54G any different ???

    RON
    Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.

  2. Re: FASTER SPEEDS with WRT54G ???

    Ron in NY cried out

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have a Linksys BEFW11S4 Version 3 wireless router. It works
    > great--no
    > problems. Will a WRT54G router be any faster on the wireless than
    > the BEFW114 ??? I have 1 wired computer and 3 wireless computers.
    > The wired one sees 8M download speeds, and 1.2M upload speeds. All
    > the wireless computers see the same upload speed but only about 3M
    > downloads. I read somewhere that this is due to the WAN port on
    > the BEFW11S4. Is the WRT54G any different ???
    >

    > RON
    > ================================================== ======
    > Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.

    Only difference you should notice will be file transfers between
    wiless devices and the network. The befw11s4 is 802.11b the wrt534g
    is 802.11g in english this means that the current model you have
    allows wireless data transfer at 10Mbps, theoretically,which is
    still faster than your internet connection, which will always be
    your bottleneck. The wrt54g allows data transfer at 54Mbps, again
    theoretically. with is much much faster than the older 802.11b. Your
    file transfer speed will be drastically affected by the number of
    wieless clients using the router at the same time as only one device
    can broadcast at any given time.

  3. Re: FASTER SPEEDS with WRT54G ???

    In reality, the avg speed of 802.11b(your BEFW11S4) is around 6mbps
    within your LAN. This is from 1 wireless client to another wired
    client. Any additional wireless clients will degrade this performance.
    The realistic avg speed for 80211.g(wrt54g) is 11mbps with the same
    constraints as 802.11b. In addition, if at any time, an 802.11b-only
    client connects to a 802.11g access point, ALL wireless client speeds
    for that access point will be reduced to 802.11b speeds i.e. 6mbps.
    Also, the range at this higher speed for 802.11g is not as far as
    802.11b and will degrade back to 802.11b speeds or less as you get
    farther away.

    So basically, if you have any clients with 802.11b only cards, don't
    bother, you will waste your money. And if I were you, I'd wait until
    the 802.11n/MIMO standard is complete and upgrade then.

    -Kevin

+ Reply to Thread