Setup FTP Server - Routers

This is a discussion on Setup FTP Server - Routers ; Hello Group, I have an old laptop running Ubuntu Linux that I have set up as an FTP server on port 21. I can successfully access it from within my wireless network at my home (so I am assuming that ...

  1. Setup FTP Server

    Hello Group,

    I have an old laptop running Ubuntu Linux that I have set up as an FTP
    server on port 21. I can successfully access it from within my wireless
    network at my home (so I am assuming that the server is configured
    properly), but cannot gain access to it from the web. Can someone help?

    The server's local IP is 192.168.2.10.
    I have a Dell TrueMobile2300 Wireless Router that currently has a public IP
    address of 151.197.240.90. I believe I have configured the router's port
    forwarding such that FTP requests to it are forwarded to the server. These
    are the settings I have chosen for Custom Port Forward Settings:

    Service: prsntFTP
    Enable: Y
    Incoming Ports: 21-21
    Destination IP Address: 192.168.2.10
    Destination Prot: 21-21
    Type: TCP

    I have nothing set for Port Trigger Settings, and Enable DMZ Host is
    unchecked.

    I'd like to configure this all such that I can access my FTP server on
    192.168.2.10:21 from anywhere that has an internet connection. What am I
    doing wrong?

    Thanks a lot,
    Ted Present

    --
    Ted Present
    presentt@gmail.com

  2. Re: Setup FTP Server

    Hmm, it is all resolved now. I apologize for the unnecessary post.

    I was test-accessing my server using the public IP address from behind my
    router (the same router the server is behind), and it turns out that the
    public IP address doesn't work from on the local LAN. Does anyone know why
    this is? Shouldn't a public IP work from anywhere, not just outside my
    network?

    I asked a friend to try accessing my server, and she was able to connect
    using the public IP from her house. I was able to connect using the local
    IP from my house. Interesting....

    --
    Ted Present
    presentt@gmail.com

  3. Re: Setup FTP Server

    Ted Present ha spiegato il 06/01/2006 :
    > Hmm, it is all resolved now. I apologize for the unnecessary post.
    >
    > I was test-accessing my server using the public IP address from behind my
    > router (the same router the server is behind), and it turns out that the
    > public IP address doesn't work from on the local LAN. Does anyone know why
    > this is? Shouldn't a public IP work from anywhere, not just outside my
    > network?
    >
    > I asked a friend to try accessing my server, and she was able to connect
    > using the public IP from her house. I was able to connect using the local IP
    > from my house. Interesting....

    because into your lan, your pc must use the same port (out) like the pc
    with ftp server (in). No possible
    Into your lan you must use the privat ip (the static ip of the pc with
    server ftp) to access

    Bye bye

    Felix

    --
    Le dimensioni forse non sono importanti per le donne, ma sono
    essenziali per le vagine!

+ Reply to Thread