Long distance networking - Routers

This is a discussion on Long distance networking - Routers ; Hi, A friend of mine lives on a large property and he wants to extend his local area network down into the valley (~400m/1312ft) where he has a small guest house. The guest house is in line-of-sight of his other ...

  1. Long distance networking

    Hi,

    A friend of mine lives on a large property and he wants to extend his
    local area network down into the valley (~400m/1312ft) where he has a
    small guest house.

    The guest house is in line-of-sight of his other house, so it might be
    possible to use wireless with a good antenna (directional?). This sounds
    expensive though.

    I know CAT5 only goes about 100m, so that's not really enough.

    I would have thought something like this would be common, but I can't
    find much information on the internet about how to do it.

    Any suggestions or ideas would be great.

    Thanks,
    n0dalus.

    PS: Sorry if this is not the right newsgroup to ask this question in;
    feel free to point me to a more appropriate one.

  2. Re: Long distance networking

    "n0dalus" wrote in message
    > The guest house is in line-of-sight of his other house, so it might be
    > possible to use wireless with a good antenna (directional?). This sounds
    > expensive though.

    Try this out:
    http://www.hackaday.com/entry/1234000870032574/

    It's just a summary on hackaday.com of this:
    http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template/

    It's dirt-cheap. Good luck.

    --
    Ted Present