Linksys wireless connects but no internet - Routers

This is a discussion on Linksys wireless connects but no internet - Routers ; I have just installed a Linksys ADSL Gateway WAG54GS which after so hassle is working OK on the main PC connected by cable. I have a wireless adaptor for the laptop WPC54G which connects to the router with good signal ...

  1. Linksys wireless connects but no internet

    I have just installed a Linksys ADSL Gateway WAG54GS which after so hassle
    is working OK on the main PC connected by cable.
    I have a wireless adaptor for the laptop WPC54G which connects to the router
    with good signal etc but I cannot see the rest of the network or connect to
    the internet.
    The phone helpline to Linksys is not a valid number and they have not
    replied to e-mail.
    I have been through all the relevant stuff on the website but cannot get a
    clue, I suspect that it is a small setting somewhere, can anyone advise?
    I previously had a Belkin router and card which connected fine, it just had
    other problems which is why I changed.
    Barry

  2. Re: Linksys wireless connects but no internet

    > I have just installed a Linksys ADSL Gateway WAG54GS which after so hassle
    > is working OK on the main PC connected by cable.
    > I have a wireless adaptor for the laptop WPC54G which connects to the

    router
    > with good signal etc but I cannot see the rest of the network or connect

    > the internet.
    > The phone helpline to Linksys is not a valid number and they have not
    > replied to e-mail.
    > I have been through all the relevant stuff on the website but cannot get a
    > clue, I suspect that it is a small setting somewhere, can anyone advise?
    > I previously had a Belkin router and card which connected fine, it just

    had
    > other problems which is why I changed.
    > Barry

    Given that I don't know what "all the stuff on the web site" includes, I'm
    going to suggest this. Ping the gateway (router) from the problem laptop. If
    you can do it without fail, start looking at software issues.

  3. Re: Linksys wireless connects but no internet

    Barry wrote:
    > I have just installed a Linksys ADSL Gateway WAG54GS which after so hassle
    > is working OK on the main PC connected by cable.
    > I have a wireless adaptor for the laptop WPC54G which connects to the router
    > with good signal etc but I cannot see the rest of the network or connect to
    > the internet.
    > The phone helpline to Linksys is not a valid number and they have not
    > replied to e-mail.
    > I have been through all the relevant stuff on the website but cannot get a
    > clue, I suspect that it is a small setting somewhere, can anyone advise?
    > I previously had a Belkin router and card which connected fine, it just had
    > other problems which is why I changed.
    > Barry

    You say the laptop connects to the router but not the network or
    Internet. Can you actully log on to the router and bring up the router
    setup screens? If yes, you probably just need to change the
    configuration in either the laptop or the router.

    Good luck, jimbo

  4. Re: Linksys wireless connects but no internet

    "jimbo" wrote in message
    > Barry wrote:
    >> I have just installed a Linksys ADSL Gateway WAG54GS which after so
    >> hassle is working OK on the main PC connected by cable.
    >> I have a wireless adaptor for the laptop WPC54G which connects to the
    >> router with good signal etc but I cannot see the rest of the network or
    >> connect to the internet.
    >> The phone helpline to Linksys is not a valid number and they have not
    >> replied to e-mail.
    >> I have been through all the relevant stuff on the website but cannot get
    >> a clue, I suspect that it is a small setting somewhere, can anyone
    >> advise?
    >> I previously had a Belkin router and card which connected fine, it just
    >> had other problems which is why I changed.
    >> Barry

    > You say the laptop connects to the router but not the network or Internet.
    > Can you actully log on to the router and bring up the router setup
    > screens? If yes, you probably just need to change the configuration in
    > either the laptop or the router.
    >
    > Good luck, jimbo

    Thanks for suggestions, eventually in frustration took both bits back to PC
    World, got a refund and got a Netgear router and laptop adaptor, plugged it
    all in and it works perfectly all functions. The instructions and web
    interface are more professional and although it cost 20 more than the
    Linksys I think it's money well spent.
    Thanks again though.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread