port redirection with linksys - Routers

This is a discussion on port redirection with linksys - Routers ; All - I have a home network with a video-server (for home security) that listens on port 80 for requests. This cannot be changed. My ISP (RCN Boston) blocks port 80. I had been using a router that supports PAT ...

  1. port redirection with linksys

    All -
    I have a home network with a video-server (for home security) that
    listens on port 80 for requests. This cannot be changed.

    My ISP (RCN Boston) blocks port 80. I had been using a router that
    supports PAT to route port 8080 traffic inside to the video box's port
    80.

    Recently, my router died. Because I was in a pinch, I went to Staples
    and replaced it with a Linksys BEFSR41. Now, of course, I cannot do
    any port redirection. I did see in the manual some mention of using
    UPnP to achieve this. But the video box is old and linux-based, and I
    don't know whether UPnP is supported.

    If I cannot make this work with UPnP, do you folks have any other
    suggestions (besides getting a router with PAT support =^)

    Thanks in advance for any help!
    -Bill

  2. Re: port redirection with linksys

    wrote in message
    news:1135029094.982849.26640@g44g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com
    > All -
    > I have a home network with a video-server (for home security)
    > that
    > listens on port 80 for requests. This cannot be changed.
    >
    > My ISP (RCN Boston) blocks port 80. I had been using a router
    > that
    > supports PAT to route port 8080 traffic inside to the video
    > box's
    > port
    > 80.
    >
    > Recently, my router died. Because I was in a pinch, I went to
    > Staples and replaced it with a Linksys BEFSR41. Now, of
    > course, I
    > cannot do any port redirection. I did see in the manual some
    > mention of using UPnP to achieve this. But the video box is
    > old
    > and linux-based, and I don't know whether UPnP is supported.
    >
    > If I cannot make this work with UPnP, do you folks have any
    > other
    > suggestions (besides getting a router with PAT support =^)
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help!
    > -Bill

    Google is your friend.
    http://www.dslwebserver.com/main/fr_...orwarding.html

    --

    Travis in Shoreline Washington

  3. Re: port redirection with linksys

    I saw something to the effect of the article you mention, but I was
    under the impression that only devices/computers that support UPnP
    could take advantage. My error.

    And as far as Google being my friend - when's the last time he came out
    for beers with me? He never writes and he always forgets my birthday.
    I was in Google's neighborhood one time, so I popped in... I was there
    for, like, ten minutes before I saw him fiddling with his cellphone
    behind his back. Then his house phone rings and he pretends its his
    Mom and he has to take the call. The guy freakin called his own house
    and faked a conversation just so he wouldn't have to deal with me.
    Google my friend? Feh. With friends like him, who needs enemies.

    Thank you, though, for the link.

  4. Re: port redirection with linksys

    Oh. Having actually read the article, this does not answer the
    question.
    This article shows how the following mapping takes place:
    :80 to :80

    What i need to have is:
    :8080 to :80

    =)