security settings - linksys wireless router - Routers

This is a discussion on security settings - linksys wireless router - Routers ; I'm new to the ng, so if I should be posting this to another group, please advise. I have a wireless Linksys G router with Speedboost. Right now it's setup as an unsecured network. I know how to get to ...

  1. security settings - linksys wireless router

    I'm new to the ng, so if I should be posting this to another group, please
    advise.
    I have a wireless Linksys G router with Speedboost.
    Right now it's setup as an unsecured network.
    I know how to get to the router; 192.168.1.1, but I don't know how to
    enter/setup WEP settings (or for that matter, what they are!).
    Is there a web site that can be recommended as a tutorial?
    Thank you for the assistance.
    Janice

  2. Re: security settings - linksys wireless router

    WEP settings are security settings (a key). If you don't use them everyone
    can find you netwerk and worse can use it and the equipment attached to it.
    You probably will find the WEP key (i think it was a 24 digits number)
    somewhere on your router or in the documentation that came with it.
    Fill in the key and your network can be set up.
    Good luck
    Fred (Holland)

    "Janice" schreef in bericht
    news:Xns9730DA54D6A5janice221amfnet@216.196.97.136 ...
    > I'm new to the ng, so if I should be posting this to another group, please
    > advise.
    > I have a wireless Linksys G router with Speedboost.
    > Right now it's setup as an unsecured network.
    > I know how to get to the router; 192.168.1.1, but I don't know how to
    > enter/setup WEP settings (or for that matter, what they are!).
    > Is there a web site that can be recommended as a tutorial?
    > Thank you for the assistance.
    > Janice

  3. Re: security settings - linksys wireless router

    You should make up your own WEP key and use it when connecting your wireless
    devices to the router. (A long sequence of random letters, numbers, and
    underscores should be sufficient.)

    --
    Marcin Jastrzebski
    jastmar@iit.edu

    "Fred Huge" wrote in message
    > WEP settings are security settings (a key). If you don't use them everyone
    > can find you netwerk and worse can use it and the equipment attached to
    > it.
    > You probably will find the WEP key (i think it was a 24 digits number)
    > somewhere on your router or in the documentation that came with it.
    > Fill in the key and your network can be set up.
    > Good luck
    > Fred (Holland)
    >
    > "Janice" schreef in bericht
    > news:Xns9730DA54D6A5janice221amfnet@216.196.97.136 ...
    >> I'm new to the ng, so if I should be posting this to another group,
    >> please
    >> advise.
    >> I have a wireless Linksys G router with Speedboost.
    >> Right now it's setup as an unsecured network.
    >> I know how to get to the router; 192.168.1.1, but I don't know how to
    >> enter/setup WEP settings (or for that matter, what they are!).
    >> Is there a web site that can be recommended as a tutorial?
    >> Thank you for the assistance.
    >> Janice

  4. Re: security settings - linksys wireless router

    "Fred Huge" wrote in

    > WEP settings are security settings (a key). If you don't use them
    > everyone can find you netwerk and worse can use it and the equipment
    > attached to it. You probably will find the WEP key (i think it was a
    > 24 digits number) somewhere on your router or in the documentation
    > that came with it. Fill in the key and your network can be set up.
    > Good luck
    > Fred (Holland)
    >
    > "Janice" schreef in bericht
    > news:Xns9730DA54D6A5janice221amfnet@216.196.97.136 ...
    >> I'm new to the ng, so if I should be posting this to another group,
    >> please advise.
    >> I have a wireless Linksys G router with Speedboost.
    >> Right now it's setup as an unsecured network.
    >> I know how to get to the router; 192.168.1.1, but I don't know how to
    >> enter/setup WEP settings (or for that matter, what they are!).
    >> Is there a web site that can be recommended as a tutorial?
    >> Thank you for the assistance.
    >> Janice

    Is there a web site that can provide tutorials on setting up routers?

+ Reply to Thread