I can't find a good IP address off my router - Routers

This is a discussion on I can't find a good IP address off my router - Routers ; Hi, Hope you can help me. I have a lynksys router on a Comcast cable network. I have a project I'm working on that requires two devices be set with static IP addresses. The router is set up as a ...

  1. I can't find a good IP address off my router

    Hi,

    Hope you can help me.

    I have a lynksys router on a Comcast cable network. I have a project
    I'm working on that requires two devices be set with static IP
    addresses.

    The router is set up as a DHCP server which is enabled.

    I looked at my router admin page and it indicates that I have up to 50
    available addresses and there is currently 4 being used. I tried to set
    one of the devices with the next available IP address and I can't ping
    it. I also checked the subnet mask and it matches.

    What could I be doing wrong.

  2. Re: I can't find a good IP address off my router

    mike wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Hope you can help me.
    >
    > I have a lynksys router on a Comcast cable network. I have a project
    > I'm working on that requires two devices be set with static IP
    > addresses.
    >
    > The router is set up as a DHCP server which is enabled.
    >
    > I looked at my router admin page and it indicates that I have up to 50
    > available addresses and there is currently 4 being used. I tried to
    > set one of the devices with the next available IP address and I can't
    > ping it. I also checked the subnet mask and it matches.
    >
    > What could I be doing wrong.

    If you have 50 DHCP addresses permissible, then the static IP addresses
    must start at .52.

  3. Re: I can't find a good IP address off my router

    That did the trick. Make sense once I thought about it. Guess it helps
    to know what your doing.
    Thanks

    Quaoar wrote:
    > mike wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Hope you can help me.
    > >
    > > I have a lynksys router on a Comcast cable network. I have a project
    > > I'm working on that requires two devices be set with static IP
    > > addresses.
    > >
    > > The router is set up as a DHCP server which is enabled.
    > >
    > > I looked at my router admin page and it indicates that I have up to 50
    > > available addresses and there is currently 4 being used. I tried to
    > > set one of the devices with the next available IP address and I can't
    > > ping it. I also checked the subnet mask and it matches.
    > >
    > > What could I be doing wrong.

    > If you have 50 DHCP addresses permissible, then the static IP addresses
    > must start at .52.

  4. Re: I can't find a good IP address off my router

    mike wrote:
    > That did the trick. Make sense once I thought about it. Guess it helps
    > to know what your doing.
    > Thanks
    >
    > Quaoar wrote:
    >> mike wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> Hope you can help me.
    >>>
    >>> I have a lynksys router on a Comcast cable network. I have a project
    >>> I'm working on that requires two devices be set with static IP
    >>> addresses.
    >>>
    >>> The router is set up as a DHCP server which is enabled.
    >>>
    >>> I looked at my router admin page and it indicates that I have up to
    >>> 50 available addresses and there is currently 4 being used. I tried
    >>> to set one of the devices with the next available IP address and I
    >>> can't ping it. I also checked the subnet mask and it matches.
    >>>
    >>> What could I be doing wrong.

    >> If you have 50 DHCP addresses permissible, then the static IP
    >> addresses must start at .52.

    The restriction on numbers of DHCP addresses offers security if the
    number is reduced to only satisfy the needs of the network; that would
    be 4 addresses in your case. I think it also unloads reserved memory in
    the router that can make overall router performance better.

  5. Re: I can't find a good IP address off my router

    "Quaoar" wrote in message
    > mike wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Hope you can help me.
    > >
    > > I have a lynksys router on a Comcast cable network. I have a
    > > project I'm working on that requires two devices be set with
    > > static IP addresses.
    > >
    > > The router is set up as a DHCP server which is enabled.
    > >
    > > I looked at my router admin page and it indicates that I have
    > > up
    > > to 50 available addresses and there is currently 4 being
    > > used. I
    > > tried to set one of the devices with the next available IP
    > > address and I can't ping it. I also checked the subnet mask
    > > and
    > > it matches. What could I be doing wrong.

    > If you have 50 DHCP addresses permissible, then the static IP
    > addresses must start at .52.

    Why not .51?

    --

    Travis in Shoreline Washington

  6. Re: I can't find a good IP address off my router

    Travis M. wrote:
    > "Quaoar" wrote in message
    >> mike wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> Hope you can help me.
    >>>
    >>> I have a lynksys router on a Comcast cable network. I have a
    >>> project I'm working on that requires two devices be set with
    >>> static IP addresses.
    >>>
    >>> The router is set up as a DHCP server which is enabled.
    >>>
    >>> I looked at my router admin page and it indicates that I have
    >>> up
    >>> to 50 available addresses and there is currently 4 being
    >>> used. I
    >>> tried to set one of the devices with the next available IP
    >>> address and I can't ping it. I also checked the subnet mask
    >>> and
    >>> it matches. What could I be doing wrong.

    >> If you have 50 DHCP addresses permissible, then the static IP
    >> addresses must start at .52.

    > Why not .51?

    ..001 is typically the lan side of the router.

+ Reply to Thread