Wireless network query - Routers

This is a discussion on Wireless network query - Routers ; I wonder if you can help me. I currently have a 512MB ADSL internet connection using a wired (rather than wireless) router which I also use to network my computers. I use Windows XP Pro. I am considering getting a ...

  1. Wireless network query

    I wonder if you can help me.

    I currently have a 512MB ADSL internet connection using a wired (rather
    than
    wireless) router which I also use to network my computers. I use Windows
    XP
    Pro.

    I am considering getting a wireless router but I have a few questions that
    hope you can help me with before I go ahead.

    1. If I get a wireless router can I still connect using a cable for
    instances where I do not want to connect wirelessly (i.e. very old laptop
    that would require a wireless PCMCIA card so thought it better to stay
    wired)? If so how many wired connections can I have?

    2. What sort of specification do I need to look for to make sure I get a
    good quality and secure connection?

    3. What sort of specification do I need to look for when getting an
    internal
    wireless network card for my Desktop PC?

    4. Are there any wireless routers and internal wireless network cards you
    can recommend?

    I hope you are able to help.

    I appreciate any help or information given.

    Thanks!

    FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
    http://mail.giantcompany.com

  2. Re: Wireless network query

    Linksys has some nice wireless routers that have four or five wired
    connections as well. You can also keep your existing router and add a
    wireless access point to it, and if your existing router doesn't have enough
    wired ports, you can add a switch to it as well as a wireless access point.
    Linksys is probably considered garden variety, but I've had no problems with
    their stuff

    "Neil Hindry" wrote in message
    >I wonder if you can help me.
    >
    > I currently have a 512MB ADSL internet connection using a wired (rather
    > than
    > wireless) router which I also use to network my computers. I use Windows
    > XP
    > Pro.
    >
    > I am considering getting a wireless router but I have a few questions that
    > hope you can help me with before I go ahead.
    >
    > 1. If I get a wireless router can I still connect using a cable for
    > instances where I do not want to connect wirelessly (i.e. very old laptop
    > that would require a wireless PCMCIA card so thought it better to stay
    > wired)? If so how many wired connections can I have?
    >
    > 2. What sort of specification do I need to look for to make sure I get a
    > good quality and secure connection?
    >
    > 3. What sort of specification do I need to look for when getting an
    > internal
    > wireless network card for my Desktop PC?
    >
    > 4. Are there any wireless routers and internal wireless network cards you
    > can recommend?
    >
    > I hope you are able to help.
    >
    > I appreciate any help or information given.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >

    > --

    > FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
    > Download Spam Inspector, the Award Winning Anti-Spam Filter
    > http://mail.giantcompany.com

+ Reply to Thread