Internet connectivity lost after serveral days on Linksys WRT54G v2 router - Routers

This is a discussion on Internet connectivity lost after serveral days on Linksys WRT54G v2 router - Routers ; Hi I have a Linksys WRT54G v2 wireless router for a seven computer network. Two of the computers are on a hub, another two on a VOIP box, and sometimes my wife's laptop connects wirelessly. The last month I've noticed ...

  1. Internet connectivity lost after serveral days on Linksys WRT54G v2 router

    Hi

    I have a Linksys WRT54G v2 wireless router for a seven computer
    network.

    Two of the computers are on a hub, another two on a VOIP box, and
    sometimes my wife's laptop connects wirelessly.

    The last month I've noticed that I lose internet connectivity after
    several days and the only way to restore it is to reset the router, then
    everything is fine again. During these outages the computers on the
    network are able to communicate with each other with no problem. On one
    occasion I attempted to connect to the web configuration page and the
    browser indicated it could not connect to the configuration page
    address. There doesn't seem to be any problems with my ISP provider
    (Comcast) in this period.

    I've called Linksys support twice -- the first time they tould me that
    should reset the router including depressing the reset button (usually I
    just disconnect from power, wait, and reattach). This did nothing,
    after
    about three days the internet halted again. On the second occassion the
    support person told me I should reflash the firmware even though I
    already had the latest firmware. Sounds like BS to me -- does flash
    memory usually get corrupted? Additionally, these problems did not
    follow a firmware upgrade (I had had the firmware upgraded several
    months before these problems started appearing).

    Has anyone seen this before? I've had the router several years.

    Thanks,

    Krazy
    --

  2. Re: Internet connectivity lost after serveral days on Linksys WRT54G v2 router

    I have been experiencing very similar problems with my Linksys router
    (BEFW11S4, I believe). I too updated my firmware and it didn't seem to
    resolve the problem. I seem to get disconnected randomly and
    intermittently, i.e. internet access will randomly resume without any
    action on my part. Let me know if you find a solution.

  3. Re: Internet connectivity lost after serveral days on Linksys WRT54G v2 router

    "Krazy Katt" wrote in news:GIWdnfqfMbHNfgTeRVn-
    pw@comcast.com:

    > The last month I've noticed that I lose internet connectivity after
    > several days and the only way to restore it is to reset the router, then
    > everything is fine again.

    Even routers "several years old" should be recent enough to have worked
    this out. And even with the latest firmware, maybe not. Dunno.

    But about five years ago, a client was complaining that her Internet
    connectivity died. Power cycling the router (Barricade 7004) restored
    connectivity, only to lose it again a few weeks later. This was a regular
    occurance.

    Being able to think outside the box rather easily, I port-forwarded all the
    common ports to a non-existent private IP. That is, 21, 25, 80 (and maybe a
    few others) were port-forwarded to a non-existant private-ip machine. NEVER
    had another unexplained loss of Internet connectivity.

    My thinking at the time was: the router's undeliverable packet stack was
    overflowing. Now, there may be no such thing as an undeliverable packet
    stack. But since telling the router to send unrequested packets for these
    server ports to an actual IP address instead of letting them disappear into
    an inner abyss within the router, the loss of connectivity problem has not
    reappeared.

    This trick has also been seen to work on a D-Link DSL-500.

    --
    Remove INVALID from e-mail address.

    Brian Smither
    Smither Consulting