Linksys router "Access Restrictions" - Routers

This is a discussion on Linksys router "Access Restrictions" - Routers ; I am having trouble with the Access Restrictions. I can "Deny" internet access to my kids pc fine, but the "allow" feature seems useless(?) I got a hold of the Linksys tech in chat, I said "I try to allow ...

  1. Linksys router "Access Restrictions"

    I am having trouble with the Access Restrictions. I can "Deny" internet
    access to my kids pc fine, but the "allow" feature seems useless(?) I got a
    hold of the Linksys tech in chat,

    I said "I try to allow access for only a certain time frame, but when the
    time is over access is still allowed.

    They replied "That's because by default all pc's have access 24-7, you must
    first create a profile denying access for 24-7, then another profile
    allowing access for your desired time frame"...

    when I try that they 'conflict(?)' and access is denied, but not allowed for
    desired time frame. A co-worker who is our tech said "Create a profile
    denying (for example) 22 hours, and another profile allowing for the 2
    hours.
    all fine and dandy, but why bother creating a profile at all "Allowing" for
    the 2 hours when it will allow by default after the 22 hour "Deny" profile
    is over?

    I guess I'm trying to figure out why they even put the "Allow" radio button
    there in the first place.

    is there a good easy website with tutorials and samples of access
    restriction using the Linksys router?

  2. Re: Linksys router "Access Restrictions"

    "rwrede" wrote in message
    > I am having trouble with the Access Restrictions. I can "Deny"
    > internet access to my kids pc fine, but the "allow" feature
    > seems
    > useless(?) I got a hold of the Linksys tech in chat,
    >
    > I said "I try to allow access for only a certain time frame,
    > but
    > when the time is over access is still allowed.
    >
    > They replied "That's because by default all pc's have access
    > 24-7,
    > you must first create a profile denying access for 24-7, then
    > another profile allowing access for your desired time frame"...
    >
    > when I try that they 'conflict(?)' and access is denied, but
    > not
    > allowed for desired time frame. A co-worker who is our tech
    > said
    > "Create a profile denying (for example) 22 hours, and another
    > profile allowing for the 2 hours.
    > all fine and dandy, but why bother creating a profile at all
    > "Allowing" for the 2 hours when it will allow by default after
    > the
    > 22 hour "Deny" profile is over?
    >
    > I guess I'm trying to figure out why they even put the "Allow"
    > radio button there in the first place.
    >
    > is there a good easy website with tutorials and samples of
    > access
    > restriction using the Linksys router?

    Seems it would be much easier to just monitor their access in
    person.

    --

    Travis in Shoreline Washington

  3. Re: Linksys router "Access Restrictions"

    rwrede wrote:
    > I am having trouble with the Access Restrictions. I can "Deny"
    > internet access to my kids pc fine, but the "allow" feature seems
    > useless(?) I got a hold of the Linksys tech in chat,
    >
    > I said "I try to allow access for only a certain time frame, but when
    > the time is over access is still allowed.
    >
    > They replied "That's because by default all pc's have access 24-7,
    > you must first create a profile denying access for 24-7, then another
    > profile allowing access for your desired time frame"...
    >
    > when I try that they 'conflict(?)' and access is denied, but not
    > allowed for desired time frame. A co-worker who is our tech said
    > "Create a profile denying (for example) 22 hours, and another profile
    > allowing for the 2 hours.
    > all fine and dandy, but why bother creating a profile at all
    > "Allowing" for the 2 hours when it will allow by default after the 22
    > hour "Deny" profile is over?
    >
    > I guess I'm trying to figure out why they even put the "Allow" radio
    > button there in the first place.
    >
    > is there a good easy website with tutorials and samples of access
    > restriction using the Linksys router?

    It's likely a lost cause. "Linksys" in my experience equates with
    "bozo". I had high hopes the Cisco would excercise some reality demands
    with Linksys, but apparently even Cisco cannot get control over the
    bozos. At least Linksys power adapters don't anymore melt down. I
    think.

  4. Re: Linksys router "Access Restrictions"

    "rwrede" wrote in message
    >I am having trouble with the Access Restrictions. I can "Deny" internet
    >access to my kids pc fine, but the "allow" feature seems useless(?) I got a
    >hold of the Linksys tech in chat,
    >
    > I said "I try to allow access for only a certain time frame, but when the
    > time is over access is still allowed.
    >
    > They replied "That's because by default all pc's have access 24-7, you
    > must first create a profile denying access for 24-7, then another profile
    > allowing access for your desired time frame"...
    >
    > when I try that they 'conflict(?)' and access is denied, but not allowed
    > for desired time frame. A co-worker who is our tech said "Create a profile
    > denying (for example) 22 hours, and another profile allowing for the 2
    > hours.
    > all fine and dandy, but why bother creating a profile at all "Allowing"
    > for the 2 hours when it will allow by default after the 22 hour "Deny"
    > profile is over?
    >
    > I guess I'm trying to figure out why they even put the "Allow" radio
    > button there in the first place.
    >
    > is there a good easy website with tutorials and samples of access
    > restriction using the Linksys router?

    I had a DLink DI-604. After 2.5 years, it burned out (next one I get will
    have its ventilation holes drilled out to let it cool better). Because of
    urgent need, I had to pickup a Linksys BEFSR41 from a local retailer. Ever
    since I wished that I could've waited to get another DLink (or maybe
    investigated Netgear). There was just too many features that I had gotten
    used to that were missing in the Linksys. So much for a product from Cisco
    (who didn't improve the product after buying out Linksys in March 2003).
    The DLink DI-604 had features that would cost the double priced Linksys
    BEFSR41 didn't have, and I have to quadruple the price to get a Linksys
    model with the features in the Dlink. The only advantage of the Linksys
    over the Dlink is that the Linksys takes twice as long to burn out (provided
    you don't stack them).

  5. Re: Linksys router "Access Restrictions"

    Gee, I am desperate here and all I get are three sob stories! I'm sorry you
    hate Linksys but I need HELP! is there anybody out there that is familliar
    with Access Restrictions in the Linksys Router? I hate to be rude but
    come-on, When somebody needs help with a product it is of NO help to bitch
    and whine about past experiences that are totally unrelated!!
    wrote in message news:qZGdnUBXOeOSRQXeRVn-sA@comcast.com...
    > "rwrede" wrote in message
    >>I am having trouble with the Access Restrictions. I can "Deny" internet
    >>access to my kids pc fine, but the "allow" feature seems useless(?) I got
    >>a hold of the Linksys tech in chat,
    >>
    >> I said "I try to allow access for only a certain time frame, but when the
    >> time is over access is still allowed.
    >>
    >> They replied "That's because by default all pc's have access 24-7, you
    >> must first create a profile denying access for 24-7, then another profile
    >> allowing access for your desired time frame"...
    >>
    >> when I try that they 'conflict(?)' and access is denied, but not allowed
    >> for desired time frame. A co-worker who is our tech said "Create a
    >> profile denying (for example) 22 hours, and another profile allowing for
    >> the 2 hours.
    >> all fine and dandy, but why bother creating a profile at all "Allowing"
    >> for the 2 hours when it will allow by default after the 22 hour "Deny"
    >> profile is over?
    >>
    >> I guess I'm trying to figure out why they even put the "Allow" radio
    >> button there in the first place.
    >>
    >> is there a good easy website with tutorials and samples of access
    >> restriction using the Linksys router?
    >>

    > I had a DLink DI-604. After 2.5 years, it burned out (next one I get will
    > have its ventilation holes drilled out to let it cool better). Because of
    > urgent need, I had to pickup a Linksys BEFSR41 from a local retailer.
    > Ever since I wished that I could've waited to get another DLink (or maybe
    > investigated Netgear). There was just too many features that I had gotten
    > used to that were missing in the Linksys. So much for a product from
    > Cisco (who didn't improve the product after buying out Linksys in March
    > 2003). The DLink DI-604 had features that would cost the double priced
    > Linksys BEFSR41 didn't have, and I have to quadruple the price to get a
    > Linksys model with the features in the Dlink. The only advantage of the
    > Linksys over the Dlink is that the Linksys takes twice as long to burn out
    > (provided you don't stack them).

  6. Re: Linksys router "Access Restrictions"

    "rwrede" wrote in message
    > Gee, I am desperate here and all I get are three sob stories! I'm sorry
    > you hate Linksys but I need HELP! is there anybody out there that is
    > familliar with Access Restrictions in the Linksys Router? I hate to be
    > rude but come-on, When somebody needs help with a product it is of NO help
    > to bitch and whine about past experiences that are totally unrelated!!
    > wrote in message news:qZGdnUBXOeOSRQXeRVn-sA@comcast.com...
    >> "rwrede" wrote in message
    >>>I am having trouble with the Access Restrictions. I can "Deny" internet
    >>>access to my kids pc fine, but the "allow" feature seems useless(?) I got
    >>>a hold of the Linksys tech in chat,
    >>>
    >>> I said "I try to allow access for only a certain time frame, but when
    >>> the time is over access is still allowed.
    >>>
    >>> They replied "That's because by default all pc's have access 24-7, you
    >>> must first create a profile denying access for 24-7, then another
    >>> profile allowing access for your desired time frame"...
    >>>
    >>> when I try that they 'conflict(?)' and access is denied, but not allowed
    >>> for desired time frame. A co-worker who is our tech said "Create a
    >>> profile denying (for example) 22 hours, and another profile allowing for
    >>> the 2 hours.
    >>> all fine and dandy, but why bother creating a profile at all "Allowing"
    >>> for the 2 hours when it will allow by default after the 22 hour "Deny"
    >>> profile is over?
    >>>
    >>> I guess I'm trying to figure out why they even put the "Allow" radio
    >>> button there in the first place.
    >>>
    >>> is there a good easy website with tutorials and samples of access
    >>> restriction using the Linksys router?
    >>>

    >> I had a DLink DI-604. After 2.5 years, it burned out (next one I get
    >> will have its ventilation holes drilled out to let it cool better).
    >> Because of urgent need, I had to pickup a Linksys BEFSR41 from a local
    >> retailer. Ever since I wished that I could've waited to get another DLink
    >> (or maybe investigated Netgear). There was just too many features that I
    >> had gotten used to that were missing in the Linksys. So much for a
    >> product from Cisco (who didn't improve the product after buying out
    >> Linksys in March 2003). The DLink DI-604 had features that would cost the
    >> double priced Linksys BEFSR41 didn't have, and I have to quadruple the
    >> price to get a Linksys model with the features in the Dlink. The only
    >> advantage of the Linksys over the Dlink is that the Linksys takes twice
    >> as long to burn out (provided you don't stack them).

    You got the sob stories because no one can help you. Why? Because you
    never said WHICH model of Linksys router that you use. Why do you think
    there are different models of increasing cost? Other than hardware
    technology differences, why do you think some are more expensive than
    others? Because the pricier they get the more features you get. If you had
    actually mentioned which one YOU use then someone else familiar with that
    particular model might know how to do the setup that you want. If you asked
    how to record the outgoing message in an answering machine, you don't think
    it would help to tell the readers WHICH answering machine you use? Our
    crystal balls cannot penetrate your obscurity.

    Also, yours was a sob story, so you got sob replies. If that is how the
    product works, that is how it works and your remaining choice is whether you
    stick with having to work that way with that product or get something
    different.

    Rather than finally divulge which model you use in a reply post somewhere
    done in this thread which is unlikely to be viewed by as many readers that
    looked at your original post, you might as well start a new thread and make
    sure you mention which model you are using (along with its firmware
    version). For best focus of your post by those familiar with that model,
    include it in the Subject header.

+ Reply to Thread