Is there a way to connect to a windows file server trhough a router? - Routers

This is a discussion on Is there a way to connect to a windows file server trhough a router? - Routers ; This is my situation. I have a network with 2 Linux servers and many PC's. I currently have one router to connect to the Internet. One server is a web/mail/dns server and the other is my Windows File server (via ...

  1. Is there a way to connect to a windows file server trhough a router?

    This is my situation. I have a network with 2 Linux servers and many PC's.
    I currently have one router to connect to the Internet. One server is a
    web/mail/dns server and the other is my Windows File server (via samba). I
    want to move all my PC's to connect to a router that in turn connects to the
    network with the 2 servers and the Internet connected router. I have not
    had much luck seeing the fileserver through the router. Is there a trick to
    this? If so can someone share it?

    Thanks,

    --
    Mark Casazza
    http://casazza.net

  2. Re: Is there a way to connect to a windows file server trhough a router?

    From: "Mark C"

    | This is my situation. I have a network with 2 Linux servers and many PC's.
    | I currently have one router to connect to the Internet. One server is a
    | web/mail/dns server and the other is my Windows File server (via samba). I
    | want to move all my PC's to connect to a router that in turn connects to the
    | network with the 2 servers and the Internet connected router. I have not
    | had much luck seeing the fileserver through the router. Is there a trick to
    | this? If so can someone share it?
    |
    | Thanks,

    I got lost in what you are trying to do :-(

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

  3. Re: Is there a way to connect to a windows file server trhough a router?

    "Mark C" wrote in message
    > This is my situation. I have a network with 2 Linux servers and many
    > PC's.
    > I currently have one router to connect to the Internet. One server is a
    > web/mail/dns server and the other is my Windows File server (via samba).
    > want to move all my PC's to connect to a router that in turn connects to
    > the
    > network with the 2 servers and the Internet connected router. I have not
    > had much luck seeing the fileserver through the router. Is there a trick
    > this? If so can someone share it?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > --
    > Mark Casazza
    > http://casazza.net
    > Home of the "Clear Sky Alarm Clock" & "Tonight's Sky"

    Okay, to simplify, is it correct that you have subnet-A and subnet-B coming
    into the router but you cannot get hosts on subnet-A to connect to the
    servers on subnet-B? Maybe your router needs to have an option enabled to
    let the subnets connected to it to talk to each other, or maybe a rule needs
    to be defined. Do you have your clients specify the router as the gateway
    or some host beyond the router (so they cannot come back through the router
    after reaching the "external" host beyond the router)?

  4. Re: Is there a way to connect to a windows file server trhough a router?

    On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 03:13:32 +0000, Mark C wrote:

    > This is my situation. I have a network with 2 Linux servers and many PC's.
    > I currently have one router to connect to the Internet. One server is a
    > web/mail/dns server

    You may want to consider setting that up to be a DHCP server to boot.

    > and the other is my Windows File server (via samba).

    You want to be running this as a NBNS (WINS) server also.

    > I want to move all my PC's to connect to a router that in turn connects
    > to the network with the 2 servers and the Internet connected router.

    So IIUC we get:

    <~Internet~>

    [server][server][router]
    \ | /
    [router]
    | | |
    <~PCs~>

    (Maybe if all else fails: enable proxy-arp in the PC router.)

    > I have not had much luck seeing the fileserver through the router.

    With "seeing" i guess you mean the MS-Windows "My Network" (or something?)

    > Is there a trick to this?

    Make sure your server "wins" the SMB master browser election.

    > If so can someone share it?

    Edit /etc/samba/smb.conf to have:

    # Tell others we run MS-Windows 2010 (Longhorn?) or some such:
    os level = 99

    And read this post for other settings:
    http://groups.google.nl/group/comp.o...f167c728326c23

    Note that if you don't run a DHCP server for the MS clients to use, you'll
    have to configure the NBNS/WINS stuff on each by hand.

    > Thanks,

    HTH.

    --
    -Menno.