IP Address - Routers

This is a discussion on IP Address - Routers ; I am experimenting with my router's "Access and Permissions" and one of the fields is IP address There is the PC IP address and the router IP address's. I forgot the quick way to find my computers IP, and how ...

  1. IP Address

    I am experimenting with my router's "Access and Permissions" and one of the
    fields is IP address There is the PC IP address and the router IP address's.
    I forgot the quick way to find my computers IP, and how do I find the IP of
    other PC's on my network? The instructions are breif and designed for people
    who allready know allot about networking and routers (Linksys)

  2. Re: IP Address

    On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 19:19:19 -0800, "rwrede" <*email_address_deleted*> wrote:

    >I am experimenting with my router's "Access and Permissions" and one of the
    >fields is IP address There is the PC IP address and the router IP address's.
    >I forgot the quick way to find my computers IP, and how do I find the IP of
    >other PC's on my network? The instructions are breif and designed for people
    >who allready know allot about networking and routers (Linksys)

    There are several free network scanning tools. I use, and recommend, AngryIP
    Scanner, and SoftPerfect Scanner. I've reviewed them in this article.

    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...sktop-and.html

    Your router will have a log of ip addresses handed out by its DHCP server. If a
    computer uses a fixed ip address, or is assigned an address by another server,
    the router won't know about it.

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]

  3. Re: IP Address

    "rwrede" wrote in message
    >I am experimenting with my router's "Access and Permissions" and one of the
    >fields is IP address There is the PC IP address and the router IP
    >address's. I forgot the quick way to find my computers IP, and how do I
    >find the IP of other PC's on my network? The instructions are breif and
    >designed for people who allready know allot about networking and routers
    >(Linksys)

    The simplest way to find the ip address of another computer on the network
    is to ping it:

    start > run
    cmd [enter]
    c:> ping anoPc

    If you are using DHCP then the IP addresses might change over time, so tying
    security to a DHCP allocated IP address probably isn't a good idea - unless
    you tied it to the range of IP addresses that DHCP is allocating from.
    --
    Brian Cryer
    www.cryer.co.uk/brian

+ Reply to Thread