voip with WRTP54G question - Routers

This is a discussion on voip with WRTP54G question - Routers ; I have cable internet. I subscribe to Vonage using a WRTP54G wireless router (supplied by Vonage when i signed up). I also have a wireless laptop thats using the router. If I'm on the phone and i try to surf ...

  1. voip with WRTP54G question

    I have cable internet. I subscribe to Vonage using a WRTP54G wireless router
    (supplied by Vonage when i signed up). I also have a wireless laptop thats
    using the router. If I'm on the phone and i try to surf the web the call
    breaks up and is garbled until the data transfer stops. Is there a way to
    fix this? (other than not using the laptop when on the phone)
    Thanks
    Eric

  2. Re: voip with WRTP54G question

    Eric wrote:
    > I have cable internet. I subscribe to Vonage using a WRTP54G
    > wireless router (supplied by Vonage when i signed up). I also
    > have
    > a wireless laptop thats using the router. If I'm on the phone
    > and i
    > try to surf the web the call breaks up and is garbled until the
    > data transfer stops. Is there a way to fix this? (other than
    > not
    > using the laptop when on the phone)
    > Thanks
    > Eric

    An internet connection with better upload bandwidth may help.

    --

    Travis in Shoreline Washington

  3. Re: voip with WRTP54G question

    Travis wrote:

    > Eric wrote:
    >> I have cable internet. I subscribe to Vonage using a WRTP54G
    >> wireless router (supplied by Vonage when i signed up). I also
    >> have
    >> a wireless laptop thats using the router. If I'm on the phone
    >> and i
    >> try to surf the web the call breaks up and is garbled until the
    >> data transfer stops. Is there a way to fix this? (other than
    >> not
    >> using the laptop when on the phone)
    >> Thanks
    >> Eric

    > An internet connection with better upload bandwidth may help.

    Well i have proved to myself that is not the problem. Basicly i have 2
    routers: A wired one connected to my cable modem, a wireless one thats a
    client of the wired router. As long as i go through the wired and not the
    wireless it has no effect on the phone so the problem has to be the
    wireless router.

    ---cable---cablemodem--wired-router --pc_1

    |___WRTP54G -..-..-..-lpatop

    phone-------|
    surfing from pc_1 has no effect on the phone
    surfing from laptop cause phone to be badly garbled
    Eric

  4. Re: voip with WRTP54G question

    Eric skrev:
    > Travis wrote:
    >
    >> Eric wrote:
    >>> I have cable internet. I subscribe to Vonage using a WRTP54G
    >>> wireless router (supplied by Vonage when i signed up). I also
    >>> have
    >>> a wireless laptop thats using the router. If I'm on the phone
    >>> and i
    >>> try to surf the web the call breaks up and is garbled until the
    >>> data transfer stops. Is there a way to fix this? (other than
    >>> not
    >>> using the laptop when on the phone)
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Eric

    >> An internet connection with better upload bandwidth may help.
    >>

    > Well i have proved to myself that is not the problem. Basicly i have 2
    > routers: A wired one connected to my cable modem, a wireless one thats a
    > client of the wired router. As long as i go through the wired and not the
    > wireless it has no effect on the phone so the problem has to be the
    > wireless router.
    >
    > ---cable---cablemodem--wired-router --pc_1
    > |
    > |___WRTP54G -..-..-..-lpatop
    > |
    > phone-------|
    > surfing from pc_1 has no effect on the phone
    > surfing from laptop cause phone to be badly garbled
    > Eric

    Hi Eric
    is your Wlan encrypted by WEP or another algorithm? If yes, its my
    experience that the working range between the AP and NIC is
    substancially reduced not to speak of the transferspeed - try sitting
    like 3 metres away from the AP with no objects between the laptop and
    and the AP and give it a test - if the quality is better that might be
    your problem.

    If that isnt the problem it might be a bad cable from the LAN to the AP.
    One of my first selfmade network cables had a flaw - after i made it, i
    tested it with my Fluke network tester and it turned up all ok. Then i
    plugged in and started copying and it gave me a load of bad files - not
    to mention a copy time of 5 minutes pr. 10 meg or so.

    Hope you crack the problem

    Bitflux

+ Reply to Thread