dlink 624s wifi router very slow - Routers

This is a discussion on dlink 624s wifi router very slow - Routers ; I have tried 2 Dlink di-624s wifi routers with trendmicro parental control for URL blocking necessary for our customer lounge internet access. Both units very often pause for a long time while loading web pages. To the extent where our ...

  1. dlink 624s wifi router very slow

    I have tried 2 Dlink di-624s wifi routers with trendmicro parental
    control for URL blocking necessary for our customer lounge internet
    access.

    Both units very often pause for a long time while loading web pages.
    To the extent where our customer would be very unhappy. I am
    temporarlily using my linksys wrt54g without url blocking.

    The internet access is via cable modem. Nothng else is accessing the
    cable modem and it stands alone.

    I am looking for a solution to this problem... thank you! Jim

  2. Re: dlink 624s wifi router very slow

    speedi@ptd.net wrote:

    > I have tried 2 Dlink di-624s wifi routers with trendmicro parental
    > control for URL blocking necessary for our customer lounge internet
    > access.
    >
    > Both units very often pause for a long time while loading web pages.
    > To the extent where our customer would be very unhappy. I am
    > temporarlily using my linksys wrt54g without url blocking.
    >
    > The internet access is via cable modem. Nothng else is accessing the
    > cable modem and it stands alone.
    >
    > I am looking for a solution to this problem... thank you! Jim

    Hmmmm... doesnt that sound like maybe the dlink is windows based vs the the
    Linksys which i know is Linux based? I have a similar problem with comcast
    cable TV. Sometimes i press buttons to get listings or change channels and
    the cable box ignores me for 30 to 45 seconds then WHAM all the buttons i
    pressed that were ignored are executed in rapid fire procession. Comcast
    uses windows to do their cable.
    Eric

  3. Re: dlink 624s wifi router very slow

    speedi@ptd.net wrote:
    > I have tried 2 Dlink di-624s wifi routers with trendmicro
    > parental
    > control for URL blocking necessary for our customer lounge
    > internet
    > access.
    >
    > Both units very often pause for a long time while loading web
    > pages.
    > To the extent where our customer would be very unhappy. I am
    > temporarlily using my linksys wrt54g without url blocking.
    >
    > The internet access is via cable modem. Nothng else is
    > accessing
    > the cable modem and it stands alone.
    >
    > I am looking for a solution to this problem... thank you!
    > Jim

    Why bother with URL blocking? Censorship is a bad thing unless
    it involves controlling what your own children can or cannot see.

    --

    Travis in Shoreline Washington

  4. Re: dlink 624s wifi router very slow

    Eric wrote:
    > speedi@ptd.net wrote:
    >
    > > I have tried 2 Dlink di-624s wifi routers with trendmicro
    > > parental
    > > control for URL blocking necessary for our customer lounge
    > > internet access.
    > >
    > > Both units very often pause for a long time while loading web
    > > pages. To the extent where our customer would be very
    > > unhappy. I
    > > am temporarlily using my linksys wrt54g without url blocking.
    > >
    > > The internet access is via cable modem. Nothng else is
    > > accessing
    > > the cable modem and it stands alone.
    > >
    > > I am looking for a solution to this problem... thank you!
    > > Jim

    > Hmmmm... doesnt that sound like maybe the dlink is windows
    > based vs
    > the the Linksys which i know is Linux based? I have a similar
    > problem with comcast cable TV. Sometimes i press buttons to get
    > listings or change channels and the cable box ignores me for 30
    > 45 seconds then WHAM all the buttons i pressed that were
    > ignored
    > are executed in rapid fire procession. Comcast uses windows to
    > do
    > their cable.
    > Eric

    Not in all markets.

    --

    Travis in Shoreline Washington

  5. Re: dlink 624s wifi router very slow

    Travis wrote:

    > Eric wrote:
    >> speedi@ptd.net wrote:
    >>
    >> > I have tried 2 Dlink di-624s wifi routers with trendmicro
    >> > parental
    >> > control for URL blocking necessary for our customer lounge
    >> > internet access.
    >> >
    >> > Both units very often pause for a long time while loading web
    >> > pages. To the extent where our customer would be very
    >> > unhappy. I
    >> > am temporarlily using my linksys wrt54g without url blocking.
    >> >
    >> > The internet access is via cable modem. Nothng else is
    >> > accessing
    >> > the cable modem and it stands alone.
    >> >
    >> > I am looking for a solution to this problem... thank you!
    >> > Jim

    >> Hmmmm... doesnt that sound like maybe the dlink is windows
    >> based vs
    >> the the Linksys which i know is Linux based? I have a similar
    >> problem with comcast cable TV. Sometimes i press buttons to get
    >> listings or change channels and the cable box ignores me for 30
    >> 45 seconds then WHAM all the buttons i pressed that were
    >> ignored
    >> are executed in rapid fire procession. Comcast uses windows to
    >> do
    >> their cable.
    >> Eric

    > Not in all markets.

    really? lucky for them. Mine drives me nuts. I called today and asked what
    to do and they gave me the standard windows troubleshooting procedure -
    reboot. Although in this case you have to unplug each DVR for 40 seconds
    and then plug it back in to reboot it. windows is good for some things but
    for running devices (DVR's, TV's, home entertainment centers, Routers etc)
    its really the wrong choice.
    Eric

  6. Re: dlink 624s wifi router very slow

    Eric wrote:
    > Travis wrote:
    >
    > > Eric wrote:

    > > > Hmmmm... doesnt that sound like maybe the dlink is windows
    > > > based vs
    > > > the the Linksys which i know is Linux based? I have a
    > > > similar
    > > > problem with comcast cable TV. Sometimes i press buttons to
    > > > get
    > > > listings or change channels and the cable box ignores me
    > > > for 30
    > > > 45 seconds then WHAM all the buttons i pressed that were
    > > > ignored
    > > > are executed in rapid fire procession. Comcast uses windows
    > > > do
    > > > their cable.
    > > > Eric

    > > Not in all markets.
    > >

    > really? lucky for them. Mine drives me nuts. I called today and
    > asked what to do and they gave me the standard windows
    > troubleshooting procedure - reboot. Although in this case you
    > have
    > to unplug each DVR for 40 seconds and then plug it back in to
    > reboot it. windows is good for some things but for running
    > devices
    > (DVR's, TV's, home entertainment centers, Routers etc) its
    > really
    > the wrong choice.
    > Eric

    Oh! You forgot to mention you were talking about the STB with
    DVR.

    --

    Travis in Shoreline Washington

  7. Re: dlink 624s wifi router very slow

    Travis wrote:

    > Eric wrote:
    >> Travis wrote:

    >> > Not in all markets.
    >> >

    >> really? lucky for them. Mine drives me nuts. I called today and
    >> asked what to do and they gave me the standard windows
    >> troubleshooting procedure - reboot. Although in this case you
    >> have
    >> to unplug each DVR for 40 seconds and then plug it back in to
    >> reboot it. windows is good for some things but for running
    >> devices
    >> (DVR's, TV's, home entertainment centers, Routers etc) its
    >> really
    >> the wrong choice.
    >> Eric

    > Oh! You forgot to mention you were talking about the STB with
    > DVR.

    STB? Cant figure that one out. I have 2 DVR's one up and one down stairs
    Eric

  8. Re: dlink 624s wifi router very slow

    Set Top Box.

    --

    Travis in Shoreline Washington

  9. Re: dlink 624s wifi router very slow

    On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 18:06:39 GMT, "Travis"
    wrote:

    >Eric wrote:
    >> Travis wrote:

    The D-Link is a one way, or half duplex machine, you talk it listens,
    it talks you listen, no talking and listening at the same time. The
    Linksys is a 2 way, or full duplex machine, you can listen and talk at
    the same time.

  10. Re: dlink 624s wifi router very slow

    f/fgeorge wrote:
    > On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 18:06:39 GMT, "Travis"
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Eric wrote:

    > The D-Link is a one way, or half duplex machine, you talk it
    > listens, it talks you listen, no talking and listening at the
    > same
    > time. The Linksys is a 2 way, or full duplex machine, you can
    > listen and talk at the same time.

    Not true. The DLink is full dux.

    --

    Travis in Shoreline Washington

  11. Re: dlink 624s wifi router very slow

    On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 07:56:00 GMT, "T. M."
    wrote:

    >f/fgeorge wrote:
    >> On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 18:06:39 GMT, "Travis"
    >> wrote:

    >> The D-Link is a one way, or half duplex machine, you talk it
    >> listens, it talks you listen, no talking and listening at the
    >> same
    >> time. The Linksys is a 2 way, or full duplex machine, you can
    >> listen and talk at the same time.

    >Not true. The DLink is full dux.

    Then what does this mean?
    "Multi-Channel Bonding: Multi-Channel Bonding embraces two radio
    channels simultaneously. It collapses the available channels from 12
    to 6 for increased bandwidth on the available channels. Single and
    double channels are not run at the same time. This technology senses
    single channel and dual channel frames and negotiates time-based
    solutions with priority on single channel processing."
    from here: http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=6

    or this "Modulation Technology Orthogonal Frequency Division
    Multiplexing (OFDM)
    Complementary Code Keying (CCK)"
    from here:
    http://www.dlink.com/products/resour...=6&rid=7&sec=0

    I had a DI-624 and when I replaced it with a WRT54GS, Linksys, the
    network got alot faster! Data transfers that used to take more than 20
    minutes were all of a sudden done in 5 to 10 minutes. NO other changes
    were made!!!!

  12. Re: dlink 624s wifi router very slow

    speedi@ptd.net wrote:
    > I have tried 2 Dlink di-624s wifi routers with trendmicro parental
    > control for URL blocking necessary for our customer lounge internet
    > access.
    >
    > Both units very often pause for a long time while loading web pages.
    > To the extent where our customer would be very unhappy. I am
    > temporarlily using my linksys wrt54g without url blocking.
    >
    > The internet access is via cable modem. Nothng else is accessing the
    > cable modem and it stands alone.
    >
    > I am looking for a solution to this problem... thank you! Jim

    What is number of connections you are supporting? What is the total
    bandwidth?

  13. Re: dlink 624s wifi router very slow

    there hasn't been more than 2 users at one time that I am aware of. So
    heavy traffic is not the issue. The Cable modem service clocks in at
    about 10 mbps download and 700+ kbps upload. That isn' the issue
    either..

+ Reply to Thread