linskys 4 switch cable router - Routers

This is a discussion on linskys 4 switch cable router - Routers ; Hello ppl, I have a linskys BEFSR41 and have set up a small network for 2 computers. We are able to see each other and access the internet but are unable to share files. when i try to access the ...

  1. linskys 4 switch cable router

    Hello ppl, I have a linskys BEFSR41 and have set up a small network for 2
    computers. We are able to see each other and access the internet but are
    unable to share files. when i try to access the other pc I get this message
    :-mshome is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
    network resource. Contact the admistrator of this server to find out if you
    have access permisions. The network path was not found. Can anyone tell me
    what I need to do? Using XP Pro on both machines and have allowed printer
    and file sharing.

    Peter

  2. Re: linskys 4 switch cable router

    This might be a silly suggestion given is so easy, but have you gone to "My
    Computer" and right clicked on the drive you wanna share, and click "Sharing
    and Security" and allowed it that way yet? Once a resource is shared, you
    will see a little hand underneath of the folder or resource. You don't have
    to do a whole drive, you can do individual folders if you like. I just
    share my whole drives.

    Hope this helps,

    Doug

    "XYZ" wrote in message
    news:s3hif.92315$Es4.80358@fe2.news.blueyonder.co. uk...
    > Hello ppl, I have a linskys BEFSR41 and have set up a small network for 2
    > computers. We are able to see each other and access the internet but are
    > unable to share files. when i try to access the other pc I get this
    > message
    > :-mshome is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
    > network resource. Contact the admistrator of this server to find out if
    > you
    > have access permisions. The network path was not found. Can anyone tell
    > me
    > what I need to do? Using XP Pro on both machines and have allowed printer
    > and file sharing.
    >
    > Peter

  3. Re: linskys 4 switch cable router

    "Doug" wrote in message
    > This might be a silly suggestion given is so easy, but have you gone to

    "My
    > Computer" and right clicked on the drive you wanna share, and click

    "Sharing
    > and Security" and allowed it that way yet? Once a resource is shared, you
    > will see a little hand underneath of the folder or resource. You don't

    have
    > to do a whole drive, you can do individual folders if you like. I just
    > share my whole drives.
    >
    > Hope this helps,
    >
    > Doug
    >

    > "XYZ" wrote in message
    > news:s3hif.92315$Es4.80358@fe2.news.blueyonder.co. uk...
    > > Hello ppl, I have a linskys BEFSR41 and have set up a small network for

    2
    > > computers. We are able to see each other and access the internet but are
    > > unable to share files. when i try to access the other pc I get this
    > > message
    > > :-mshome is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
    > > network resource. Contact the admistrator of this server to find out if
    > > you
    > > have access permisions. The network path was not found. Can anyone

    tell
    > > me
    > > what I need to do? Using XP Pro on both machines and have allowed

    printer
    > > and file sharing.
    > >
    > > Peter

    Yes I've set an entire drive with nothing but movies and mp3's to share and
    the little hand appears under the drive. I shut down zonealarm on both
    machines and tada everything is there and I can move files back and forth
    from both machines. What bothers me is I have no firewall whilst transfering
    files. I heard somewhere that my router acts like a firewall. Can anyone
    tell me if this is so?

    TIA

    Peter

  4. Re: linskys 4 switch cable router

    The router does act as a firewall but both of your computers are behind it.
    They are on the LAN side, not the WAN side

    "XYZ" wrote in message
    news:ATGif.101773$Es4.40553@fe2.news.blueyonder.co .uk...

    > "Doug" wrote in message
    >> This might be a silly suggestion given is so easy, but have you gone to

    > "My
    >> Computer" and right clicked on the drive you wanna share, and click

    > "Sharing
    >> and Security" and allowed it that way yet? Once a resource is shared,
    >> you
    >> will see a little hand underneath of the folder or resource. You don't

    > have
    >> to do a whole drive, you can do individual folders if you like. I just
    >> share my whole drives.
    >>
    >> Hope this helps,
    >>
    >> Doug
    >>

    >> "XYZ" wrote in message
    >> news:s3hif.92315$Es4.80358@fe2.news.blueyonder.co. uk...
    >> > Hello ppl, I have a linskys BEFSR41 and have set up a small network for

    > 2
    >> > computers. We are able to see each other and access the internet but
    >> > are
    >> > unable to share files. when i try to access the other pc I get this
    >> > message
    >> > :-mshome is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
    >> > network resource. Contact the admistrator of this server to find out if
    >> > you
    >> > have access permisions. The network path was not found. Can anyone

    > tell
    >> > me
    >> > what I need to do? Using XP Pro on both machines and have allowed

    > printer
    >> > and file sharing.
    >> >
    >> > Peter
    >> >

    > Yes I've set an entire drive with nothing but movies and mp3's to share
    > and
    > the little hand appears under the drive. I shut down zonealarm on both
    > machines and tada everything is there and I can move files back and forth
    > from both machines. What bothers me is I have no firewall whilst
    > transfering
    > files. I heard somewhere that my router acts like a firewall. Can anyone
    > tell me if this is so?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Peter

  5. Re: linskys 4 switch cable router

    XYZ wrote:
    > "Doug" wrote in message
    > > This might be a silly suggestion given is so easy, but have
    > > you
    > > gone to "My Computer" and right clicked on the drive you
    > > wanna
    > > share, and click "Sharing and Security" and allowed it that
    > > way
    > > yet? Once a resource is shared, you will see a little hand
    > > underneath of the folder or resource. You don't have to do a
    > > whole drive, you can do individual folders if you like. I
    > > just
    > > share my whole drives.
    > >
    > > Hope this helps,
    > >
    > > Doug
    > >

    > > "XYZ" wrote in message
    > > news:s3hif.92315$Es4.80358@fe2.news.blueyonder.co. uk...
    > > > Hello ppl, I have a linskys BEFSR41 and have set up a small
    > > > network for 2 computers. We are able to see each other and
    > > > access the internet but are unable to share files. when i
    > > > try
    > > > to access the other pc I get this message
    > > > :-mshome is not accessible. You might not have permission
    > > > use this network resource. Contact the admistrator of this
    > > > server to find out if you
    > > > have access permisions. The network path was not found.
    > > > Can
    > > > anyone tell me
    > > > what I need to do? Using XP Pro on both machines and have
    > > > allowed printer and file sharing.
    > > >
    > > > Peter
    > > >

    > Yes I've set an entire drive with nothing but movies and mp3's
    > share and the little hand appears under the drive. I shut down
    > zonealarm on both machines and tada everything is there and I
    > can
    > move files back and forth from both machines. What bothers me
    > is I
    > have no firewall whilst transfering files. I heard somewhere
    > that
    > my router acts like a firewall. Can anyone tell me if this is
    > so?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Peter

    In ZA under Firewall---->Zones add the IP of the other computer
    and do the same thing on the other computers ZA.

    --

    Travis in Shoreline Washington

+ Reply to Thread