Need help setting up a wired and wireless configuration? - Routers

This is a discussion on Need help setting up a wired and wireless configuration? - Routers ; I need some guidance on what I need to buy to hel me in setting up my home network. Basically the way I have it set up now is that I'm running an ethernet cable from my cable modem up ...

  1. Need help setting up a wired and wireless configuration?

    I need some guidance on what I need to buy to hel me in setting up my
    home network.

    Basically the way I have it set up now is that I'm running an ethernet
    cable from my cable modem up into the ceiling and then into a room
    which contains my wireless router. The wireless router is then
    connected via ethernet cable to my ReplayTV and Xbox Live and also
    provides a centrally located wireless internet connection to the house.

    The problem I'm having is that the wireless signal is now bad in the
    room (my office) where the cable modem is located, so I'm now having
    problems accessing the internet from this room. What I'd like to do is
    hook up some sort of a switch or something which allows me to hook up
    the laptop in the office to a wired ethernet connection and also
    continue to run the existing ethernet cable which is attached to my
    wireless router in the other room.

    Will a Ethernet Switch hooked up betwee the cable modem and the line
    that runs into the wireless modem accomplish this goal? Or can I get a
    wired router and then daisy chain them together? Looking for
    suggestions on what I need to buy.

    Thanks

    Mick

  2. Re: Need help setting up a wired and wireless configuration?

    There are probably several ways to accomplish what you want, but I think the
    first device off the modem, will need to be a router. I would have an
    Ethernet router with built in switches at the modem location and using your
    existing Ethernet cable going up, connected to a wireless access point with
    built in switches. You probably can accomplish this using your existing
    wireless router, but I think you have to disable it as a router

    wrote in message
    news:1132797031.110364.324710@g49g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    >I need some guidance on what I need to buy to hel me in setting up my
    > home network.
    >
    > Basically the way I have it set up now is that I'm running an ethernet
    > cable from my cable modem up into the ceiling and then into a room
    > which contains my wireless router. The wireless router is then
    > connected via ethernet cable to my ReplayTV and Xbox Live and also
    > provides a centrally located wireless internet connection to the house.
    >
    > The problem I'm having is that the wireless signal is now bad in the
    > room (my office) where the cable modem is located, so I'm now having
    > problems accessing the internet from this room. What I'd like to do is
    > hook up some sort of a switch or something which allows me to hook up
    > the laptop in the office to a wired ethernet connection and also
    > continue to run the existing ethernet cable which is attached to my
    > wireless router in the other room.
    >
    > Will a Ethernet Switch hooked up betwee the cable modem and the line
    > that runs into the wireless modem accomplish this goal? Or can I get a
    > wired router and then daisy chain them together? Looking for
    > suggestions on what I need to buy.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Mick

+ Reply to Thread