2 Routes can't see network places. - Routers

This is a discussion on 2 Routes can't see network places. - Routers ; I have a hard wired primary router (Linksys BEFSR41) to my cable modem. I got a wireless router (Linksys WRT54GC) to use with my laptop. I set the wirless up as a LAN connection with the IP 192.168.1.1 and changed ...

  1. 2 Routes can't see network places.

    I have a hard wired primary router (Linksys BEFSR41) to my cable modem. I
    got a wireless router (Linksys WRT54GC) to use with my laptop. I set the
    wirless up as a LAN connection with the IP 192.168.1.1 and changed my wired
    BEFSR 41 IP to 192.168.2.1 Everything works well, but I cannot see my
    laptop on my networked places, with the same workgroup name. Is there some
    setting on of the IP's and DHCP that I need to do? Thanks.

    --
    Elliot Feldbau
    44 Wedgewood Dr.

  2. Re: 2 Routes can't see network places.

    of course.... the wireless is doing address translation so the other computer can't get to the laptop, plus that unit isn't just an
    access point, it's a router and firewall (so your wired computer is firewalled off from the laptop). It's not really designed for
    the way you want to use it. It's designed to be used INSTEAD of your Linksys BEFSR41. You could in fact set it up and use its hub
    for your wired computer and the wireless for the laptop and that way both computers would be on the same side (the inside) of the
    firewall. Or get an access point that has no NAT or firewall.

    Dennis

    Elliot Feldbau wrote:
    > I have a hard wired primary router (Linksys BEFSR41) to my cable modem. I
    > got a wireless router (Linksys WRT54GC) to use with my laptop. I set the
    > wirless up as a LAN connection with the IP 192.168.1.1 and changed my wired
    > BEFSR 41 IP to 192.168.2.1 Everything works well, but I cannot see my
    > laptop on my networked places, with the same workgroup name. Is there some
    > setting on of the IP's and DHCP that I need to do? Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread