Networking Wired and Wireless - Routers

This is a discussion on Networking Wired and Wireless - Routers ; Hey everyone, I will be getting a laptop soon.... I have a wired home network (Linksys BFSR41 4 port) and I will be wanting to setup the laptop to be wireless and use it on my same network. What will ...

  1. Networking Wired and Wireless

    Hey everyone,

    I will be getting a laptop soon.... I have a wired home network (Linksys
    BFSR41 4 port) and I will be wanting to setup the laptop to be wireless and
    use it on my same network. What will be involved? I wouldn't think that I
    would have to go all wireless to make this stuff work. I like my wired
    network.

    Thanx in advance,

    Doug

  2. Re: Networking Wired and Wireless

    Doug wrote:
    > Hey everyone,
    >
    > I will be getting a laptop soon.... I have a wired home
    > network
    > (Linksys BFSR41 4 port) and I will be wanting to setup the
    > laptop
    > to be wireless and use it on my same network. What will be
    > involved? I wouldn't think that I would have to go all
    > wireless to
    > make this stuff work. I like my wired network.
    >
    > Thanx in advance,
    >
    > Doug

    Buy a WAP (Wireless Access Point) and plug that into one of the 4
    ports on your router and then get a wireless adapter for your
    laptop. I do this to hook one of my TiVo's to my network. Works
    great.

    --

    Travis in Shoreline Washington

  3. Re: Networking Wired and Wireless

    "Travis" wrote in message
    > Doug wrote:
    >> Hey everyone,
    >>
    >> I will be getting a laptop soon.... I have a wired home network
    >> (Linksys BFSR41 4 port) and I will be wanting to setup the laptop
    >> to be wireless and use it on my same network. What will be
    >> involved? I wouldn't think that I would have to go all wireless to
    >> make this stuff work. I like my wired network.
    >>
    >> Thanx in advance,
    >>
    >> Doug

    > Buy a WAP (Wireless Access Point) and plug that into one of the 4 ports on
    > your router and then get a wireless adapter for your laptop. I do this to
    > hook one of my TiVo's to my network. Works great.
    >
    > --
    >

    > Travis in Shoreline Washington

    =========================
    There is another option;
    Buy a Linksys BEFW 11S4
    It is like your BEFSR but with the addition of an wireless access point.
    that is the one I have, or I would bet that there is an updated version that
    does the same.

    If you are going to buy something to make your wired network wireless simply
    get the combo
    unit "wireless access point router, with a 4 port switch".

    Just a thought for you.

    Good luck with whatever you do.
    Bill

  4. Re: Networking Wired and Wireless

    Fathergoose wrote:
    > "Travis" wrote in
    > message
    > > Doug wrote:
    > > > Hey everyone,
    > > >
    > > > I will be getting a laptop soon.... I have a wired home
    > > > network
    > > > (Linksys BFSR41 4 port) and I will be wanting to setup the
    > > > laptop to be wireless and use it on my same network. What
    > > > will
    > > > be involved? I wouldn't think that I would have to go all
    > > > wireless to make this stuff work. I like my wired network.
    > > >
    > > > Thanx in advance,
    > > >
    > > > Doug

    > > Buy a WAP (Wireless Access Point) and plug that into one of
    > > the 4
    > > ports on your router and then get a wireless adapter for your
    > > laptop. I do this to hook one of my TiVo's to my network.
    > > Works
    > > great. --
    > >

    > > Travis in Shoreline Washington

    > =========================
    > There is another option;
    > Buy a Linksys BEFW 11S4
    > It is like your BEFSR but with the addition of an wireless
    > access
    > point. that is the one I have, or I would bet that there is an
    > updated version that does the same.
    >
    > If you are going to buy something to make your wired network
    > wireless simply get the combo
    > unit "wireless access point router, with a 4 port switch".
    >
    > Just a thought for you.
    >
    > Good luck with whatever you do.
    > Bill

    The OP said he liked his wired network.

    --

    Travis in Shoreline Washington

  5. Re: Networking Wired and Wireless

    Hey guys,

    Wow, I didn't think anyone else would reply to this post so I haven't
    checked back lately.... Thank you all for your replies.

    It was kind of funny how things worked out. As it turned out, I had to
    trouble shoot my network lately, and I thought my old router took a crap, so
    I was in the market for a new one. What I opted for was the "Linksys
    WRT55AG", which has two access points and is a 4 port for my wired network.
    It seems to work pretty darn well. (Didn't fix the problem BTW, but I"m
    here now)

    http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...VisitorWrapper

    I haven't read any reviews or used the Wireless portion of it yet, so what
    do you guys think of this router? Did I make a good purchase with this one?

    Thanks everyone!

    Doug

    "Travis" wrote in message
    > Fathergoose wrote:
    >> "Travis" wrote in message

    >> > Buy a WAP (Wireless Access Point) and plug that into one of the 4
    >> > ports on your router and then get a wireless adapter for your
    >> > laptop. I do this to hook one of my TiVo's to my network. Works
    >> > great. --
    >> >

    >> > Travis in Shoreline Washington

    >> =========================
    >> There is another option;
    >> Buy a Linksys BEFW 11S4
    >> It is like your BEFSR but with the addition of an wireless access
    >> point. that is the one I have, or I would bet that there is an
    >> updated version that does the same.
    >>
    >> If you are going to buy something to make your wired network
    >> wireless simply get the combo
    >> unit "wireless access point router, with a 4 port switch".
    >>
    >> Just a thought for you.
    >>
    >> Good luck with whatever you do.
    >> Bill

    > The OP said he liked his wired network.
    >
    > --
    >

    > Travis in Shoreline Washington

  6. Re: Networking wired and wireless

    X-No-Archive
    3. Fathergoose wrote

    Buy a Linksys BEFW 11S4
    It is like your BEFSR but with the addition of an wireless access point
    [...] [or] an updated version that does the same.

    Now that your network is running,
    if you can troubleshoot your old Linksys BFSR41 4 port, then
    could you plug that into your new Linksys WRT55AG
    and have a seven-port wired network for free expansion?

+ Reply to Thread