At wits end... - Routers

This is a discussion on At wits end... - Routers ; I have a trendnet tw100-s4w1ca router, a desktop with xp, and a laptop with win98. My problem is that the desktop for some odd reason assigns it's own ip that isn't what the router is assigning. The laptop gets the ...

  1. At wits end...

    I have a trendnet tw100-s4w1ca router, a desktop with xp, and a laptop
    with win98. My problem is that the desktop for some odd reason assigns
    it's own ip that isn't what the router is assigning. The laptop gets the
    proper ip from the router. Every once in a while when I reset the
    router, the desktop does get the correct ip, but is lost as soon as the
    dsl modem is connected.

    The modem is a speedtouch ethernet. I'm by far a newbie at computers,
    but I've tried assigning the ips manually, only to get a message at xp
    and 98's startup saying there is an ip conflict, when both ips are
    indeed different.

    I've searched, and found nothing. Could someone please shed some light
    on this?

    TIA.

  2. Re: At wits end...

    From: "McScratchy"

    | I have a trendnet tw100-s4w1ca router, a desktop with xp, and a laptop
    | with win98. My problem is that the desktop for some odd reason assigns
    | it's own ip that isn't what the router is assigning. The laptop gets the
    | proper ip from the router. Every once in a while when I reset the
    | router, the desktop does get the correct ip, but is lost as soon as the
    | dsl modem is connected.
    |
    | The modem is a speedtouch ethernet. I'm by far a newbie at computers,
    | but I've tried assigning the ips manually, only to get a message at xp
    | and 98's startup saying there is an ip conflict, when both ips are
    | indeed different.
    |
    | I've searched, and found nothing. Could someone please shed some light
    | on this?
    |
    | TIA.

    Is that desktop IP address 169.254.x.y ?

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

  3. Re: At wits end...

    David H. Lipman wrote:

    > Is that desktop IP address 169.254.x.y ?

    Yes it is, and yes I do realize that that means it's not receiving an ip
    from the dhcp from the router. It's not a cable issue, as I have tried
    numerous cables, and I'm using one of those right now directly connected
    to the modem to post this.

    So I guess my real problem is, how do I get the xp desktop to get an ip
    from the router on a regular and stable occurance?

    TIA

  4. Re: At wits end...

    From: "McScratchy"

    | David H. Lipman wrote:
    >>
    >> Is that desktop IP address 169.254.x.y ?
    >>

    | Yes it is, and yes I do realize that that means it's not receiving an ip
    | from the dhcp from the router. It's not a cable issue, as I have tried
    | numerous cables, and I'm using one of those right now directly connected
    | to the modem to post this.
    |
    | So I guess my real problem is, how do I get the xp desktop to get an ip
    | from the router on a regular and stable occurance?
    |
    | TIA

    Yes, that's IPAutoConfiguration at work.

    You can turn off IP Auto Configuration by creating and merging the following....

    Copy and paste the following between the dashes (-----------) and save as FixIPAuto.REG then
    double-click on the file and allow the Registry merge to occur.

    -----------
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{813C26C9-
    EB43-4993-BF12-2EDCEDF8FB42}]
    "IPAutoconfigurationEnabled"=dword:00000000

    -----------

    Is the NIC motherboard embedded or is it a PCI card ?

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

  5. Re: At wits end...

    David H. Lipman wrote:

    > Yes, that's IPAutoConfiguration at work.
    >
    > You can turn off IP Auto Configuration by creating and merging the following....
    >
    > Copy and paste the following between the dashes (-----------) and save as FixIPAuto.REG then
    > double-click on the file and allow the Registry merge to occur.
    >
    > -----------
    > Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    >
    > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{813C26C9-
    > EB43-4993-BF12-2EDCEDF8FB42}]
    > "IPAutoconfigurationEnabled"=dword:00000000
    >
    > -----------
    >
    > Is the NIC motherboard embedded or is it a PCI card ?

    I figured that's what is going on. The reg script isn't working. Xp is
    giving an error that it's not a valid yadda yadda... Can I not modify it
    directly is administrative tools?

  6. Re: At wits end...

    McScratchy wrote:
    > David H. Lipman wrote:
    >

    >> Yes, that's IPAutoConfiguration at work.
    >>
    >> You can turn off IP Auto Configuration by creating and merging the
    >> following....
    >>
    >> Copy and paste the following between the dashes (-----------) and save
    >> as FixIPAuto.REG then
    >> double-click on the file and allow the Registry merge to occur.
    >>
    >> -----------
    >> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    >>
    >> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{813C26C9-
    >>
    >> EB43-4993-BF12-2EDCEDF8FB42}]
    >> "IPAutoconfigurationEnabled"=dword:00000000
    >>
    >> -----------
    >>
    >> Is the NIC motherboard embedded or is it a PCI card ?
    >>

    > I figured that's what is going on. The reg script isn't working. Xp is
    > giving an error that it's not a valid yadda yadda... Can I not modify it
    > directly is administrative tools?

    Nevermind... I entered it manually, and have received no errors as of
    yet... But I'm setting up my laptop now, as it seems to be having the
    same problem. I have just installed the ipac_off.inf file from the 98
    cd. Now I am assuming that I would have to force the ip by entering it
    manually?

  7. Re: At wits end...

    From: "McScratchy"

    | David H. Lipman wrote:
    >>
    >> Yes, that's IPAutoConfiguration at work.
    >>
    >> You can turn off IP Auto Configuration by creating and merging the following....
    >>
    >> Copy and paste the following between the dashes (-----------) and save as FixIPAuto.REG
    >> then double-click on the file and allow the Registry merge to occur.
    >>
    >> -----------
    >> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    >>
    >> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{813C26
    >> C9- EB43-4993-BF12-2EDCEDF8FB42}] "IPAutoconfigurationEnabled"=dword:00000000
    >>
    >> -----------
    >>
    >> Is the NIC motherboard embedded or is it a PCI card ?
    >>

    | I figured that's what is going on. The reg script isn't working. Xp is
    | giving an error that it's not a valid yadda yadda... Can I not modify it
    | directly is administrative tools?

    I'm sorry, I should have noted...

    the line...
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{813C26C9-
    EB43-4993-BF12-2EDCEDF8FB42}]

    is wrapped. It needs to be unwrapped to work.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

+ Reply to Thread