Startup Sequence - Routers

This is a discussion on Startup Sequence - Routers ; I was wondering if there is a way to change the startup-sequence of a laptop so that the wireless network gets initialized a little earlier. This is for when windows attempts to reconnect drives and lanch messenger, the resources are ...

  1. Startup Sequence

    I was wondering if there is a way to change the startup-sequence of a laptop
    so that the wireless network gets initialized a little earlier. This is for
    when windows attempts to reconnect drives and lanch messenger, the resources
    are there for those programs.

    As it is now, I'm still getting an IP address when Windows wants launch all
    that fun stuff..

    or is a wireless handshake just that slow?

    Thanks

  2. Re: Startup Sequence

    What version of Windows?

    My Windows 2000Pro laptop uses it's wireless as its only connection and it works just doing it's file sharing connections. Sounds
    like your DHCP server is really slow. Have tried assigning a static IP address and then seeing if you have the same problem?

    Dennis

    fred wrote:
    > I was wondering if there is a way to change the startup-sequence of a laptop
    > so that the wireless network gets initialized a little earlier. This is for
    > when windows attempts to reconnect drives and lanch messenger, the resources
    > are there for those programs.
    >
    > As it is now, I'm still getting an IP address when Windows wants launch all
    > that fun stuff..
    >
    > or is a wireless handshake just that slow?
    >
    > Thanks

  3. Re: Startup Sequence

    I'm using xp and dhcp. I had thought about a static IP, but I use the
    machine in many locations with different dns servers and octets.

    "Dennis Willson" wrote in message
    > What version of Windows?
    >
    > My Windows 2000Pro laptop uses it's wireless as its only connection and it
    > works just doing it's file sharing connections. Sounds like your DHCP
    > server is really slow. Have tried assigning a static IP address and then
    > seeing if you have the same problem?
    >
    > Dennis
    >

    > fred wrote:
    >> I was wondering if there is a way to change the startup-sequence of a
    >> laptop so that the wireless network gets initialized a little earlier.
    >> This is for when windows attempts to reconnect drives and lanch
    >> messenger, the resources are there for those programs.
    >>
    >> As it is now, I'm still getting an IP address when Windows wants launch
    >> all that fun stuff..
    >>
    >> or is a wireless handshake just that slow?
    >>
    >> Thanks

  4. Re: Startup Sequence

    What I was suggesting was for debug purposes. If static IPs work ok, then it really is just a really slow dhcp server. If not then
    there's something else wrong.

    Dennis

    fred wrote:
    > I'm using xp and dhcp. I had thought about a static IP, but I use the
    > machine in many locations with different dns servers and octets.
    >

    > "Dennis Willson" wrote in message
    >
    >>What version of Windows?
    >>
    >>My Windows 2000Pro laptop uses it's wireless as its only connection and it
    >>works just doing it's file sharing connections. Sounds like your DHCP
    >>server is really slow. Have tried assigning a static IP address and then
    >>seeing if you have the same problem?
    >>
    >>Dennis
    >>

    >>fred wrote:
    >>
    >>>I was wondering if there is a way to change the startup-sequence of a
    >>>laptop so that the wireless network gets initialized a little earlier.
    >>>This is for when windows attempts to reconnect drives and lanch
    >>>messenger, the resources are there for those programs.
    >>>
    >>>As it is now, I'm still getting an IP address when Windows wants launch
    >>>all that fun stuff..
    >>>
    >>>or is a wireless handshake just that slow?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks

+ Reply to Thread