simple for someone I hope! - Routers

This is a discussion on simple for someone I hope! - Routers ; Can I ask for help here as I have a desktop & laptop PC, running ME (Dtop) XP home(laptop) I am using blueyonder and their supplied modem is a Motorola SB4200 Surfboard cable modem. I have also bought a linksys ...

  1. simple for someone I hope!

    Can I ask for help here as I have a desktop & laptop PC, running ME (Dtop)
    XP home(laptop)
    I am using blueyonder and their supplied modem is a Motorola SB4200
    Surfboard cable modem.
    I have also bought a linksys router, BEFSR41.
    I can link to the internet with either PC using their connections but would
    like to be able to stay connected to the internet on both computers through
    the router.
    Can someone tell me the correct way to connect this together please?

    I have tried by connecting the cable that runs from the modem to the PC
    normally, into the router instead. I have then run another cable from one
    of the 4 outlets in the router to the back of the PC where the modem cable
    normally runs to. This does not work even though I have shut everything off
    and re-booted. 1st Modem, 2nd Router, 3rd PC with a gap of 20 seconds or
    so between each. I have tried three different cables in case one was duff
    but no change in any of them. The wiring in the cables runs (looking from
    below) orange, blue, green, brown. This is the same at both ends of the
    cable.
    Maybe the router is not working but it lights up. Is there a test I can
    make on this?

    I don't know where to go from here so would be most grateful to hear from
    anyone out there who might have a solution.

    Cheers Jim

  2. Re: simple for someone I hope!

    From: "jim"

    | Can I ask for help here as I have a desktop & laptop PC, running ME (Dtop)
    | XP home(laptop)
    | I am using blueyonder and their supplied modem is a Motorola SB4200
    | Surfboard cable modem.
    | I have also bought a linksys router, BEFSR41.
    | I can link to the internet with either PC using their connections but would
    | like to be able to stay connected to the internet on both computers through
    | the router.
    | Can someone tell me the correct way to connect this together please?
    |
    | I have tried by connecting the cable that runs from the modem to the PC
    | normally, into the router instead. I have then run another cable from one
    | of the 4 outlets in the router to the back of the PC where the modem cable
    | normally runs to. This does not work even though I have shut everything off
    | and re-booted. 1st Modem, 2nd Router, 3rd PC with a gap of 20 seconds or
    | so between each. I have tried three different cables in case one was duff
    | but no change in any of them. The wiring in the cables runs (looking from
    | below) orange, blue, green, brown. This is the same at both ends of the
    | cable.
    | Maybe the router is not working but it lights up. Is there a test I can
    | make on this?
    |
    | I don't know where to go from here so would be most grateful to hear from
    | anyone out there who might have a solution.
    |
    | Cheers Jim

    The modem connects to the Cable provider and the twisted pair Ethernet cable form the modem
    connects to the WAN port of the Router.

    The desktop and notebook should be setup for DHCP and the twisted pair Ethernet cables from
    each connect to the LAN ports of the router.

    You should then be able to access the Router via the URL; http://192.168.1.1

    You should turn off the modem and then turn it back on and the modem and the Cable provider
    will gthen see the MAC address of the Router and not a PC and the Router should work.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

  3. Re: simple for someone I hope!