Can I host a NetMeeting if I use a router? - Routers

This is a discussion on Can I host a NetMeeting if I use a router? - Routers ; I tried to host a NetMeeting (the application built into windows). It appears that all my computers on the network have the same IP address. This seems to cause a problem when I try to access the hosted meeting, the ...

  1. Can I host a NetMeeting if I use a router?

    I tried to host a NetMeeting (the application built into windows). It
    appears that all my computers on the network have the same IP address. This
    seems to cause a problem when I try to access the hosted meeting, the
    application says "the host is unable to receive your call" or something to
    that affect.

    Is there any way to host a NetMeeting if you're behind a router that assigns
    the same IP address to every computer on the network?

  2. Re: Can I host a NetMeeting if I use a router?

    I assume that your seeing the same IP address when going to whatsmyip.com or
    similar page. This would be your WAN, or Public IP address. (if all your
    machines had the same IP, your network wouldn't work) You'll need to tell
    your router to send all inbound traffic to one machine. To do this, you need
    to set the "DMZ" of the router to the one machine you want to run netmeeting
    on.

    It'd really be a good idea to set the selected machine up with a static IP
    address on your LAN. Typically, home routers are set up to use
    192.168.1.XX... as an IP set. This way when you reboot your machine the IP
    address will always agree with the DMZ setting in the router. For whatever
    reason, I always set the last octet to 10 for DMZ use.

    "gb" wrote in message
    >I tried to host a NetMeeting (the application built into windows). It
    > appears that all my computers on the network have the same IP address.
    > This
    > seems to cause a problem when I try to access the hosted meeting, the
    > application says "the host is unable to receive your call" or something to
    > that affect.
    >
    > Is there any way to host a NetMeeting if you're behind a router that
    > assigns
    > the same IP address to every computer on the network?

  3. Re: Can I host a NetMeeting if I use a router?

    "fred" ha scritto nel messaggio
    >I assume that your seeing the same IP address when going to whatsmyip.com
    >or similar page. This would be your WAN, or Public IP address. (if all your
    >machines had the same IP, your network wouldn't work) You'll need to tell
    >your router to send all inbound traffic to one machine. To do this, you
    >need to set the "DMZ" of the router to the one machine you want to run
    >netmeeting on.
    >
    > It'd really be a good idea to set the selected machine up with a static IP
    > address on your LAN. Typically, home routers are set up to use
    > 192.168.1.XX... as an IP set. This way when you reboot your machine the IP
    > address will always agree with the DMZ setting in the router. For whatever
    > reason, I always set the last octet to 10 for DMZ use.
    >

    > "gb" wrote in message
    >>I tried to host a NetMeeting (the application built into windows). It
    >> appears that all my computers on the network have the same IP address.
    >> This
    >> seems to cause a problem when I try to access the hosted meeting, the
    >> application says "the host is unable to receive your call" or something
    >> that affect.
    >>
    >> Is there any way to host a NetMeeting if you're behind a router that
    >> assigns
    >> the same IP address to every computer on the network?

    Hi,

    although NAT prevents Internet locations from directly accessing the PCs on
    the LAN, the router allows you to direct incoming traffic to specific PCs
    based on the service port number of the incoming request, or to one
    designated "DMZ" host computer. You can specify forwarding of single ports
    or ranges of ports. Use the Port Forwarding menu to configure the router to
    forward incoming protocols to computers on your local network. In addition
    to servers for specific applications, you can also specify a Default DMZ
    Server to which all other incoming protocols are forwarded. Be careful: DMZ
    servers pose a security risk. A computer designated as the default DMZ
    server loses much of the protection of the firewall, and is exposed to
    exploits from the Internet. If compromised, the DMZ server can be used to
    attack your network.

    Bye

    Luc

  4. Re: Can I host a NetMeeting if I use a router?

    thanks, I'll try the DMZ thing... a couple questions---

    how is that I can use Instant Messaging (like AOL or Yahoo) on the two
    machines that share a router, even without the DMZ set up? Don't they also
    use the IP address to deliver messages?

    and, for some reason I am able to join a Net Meeting, even without the DMZ
    set up. It just seems to croak when I try to host one. Is that normal,
    given the router setup I have?

    thanks

    "fred" wrote in message
    > I assume that your seeing the same IP address when going to whatsmyip.com

    or
    > similar page. This would be your WAN, or Public IP address. (if all your
    > machines had the same IP, your network wouldn't work) You'll need to tell
    > your router to send all inbound traffic to one machine. To do this, you

    need
    > to set the "DMZ" of the router to the one machine you want to run

    netmeeting
    > on.
    >
    > It'd really be a good idea to set the selected machine up with a static IP
    > address on your LAN. Typically, home routers are set up to use
    > 192.168.1.XX... as an IP set. This way when you reboot your machine the IP
    > address will always agree with the DMZ setting in the router. For whatever
    > reason, I always set the last octet to 10 for DMZ use.
    >

    > "gb" wrote in message
    > >I tried to host a NetMeeting (the application built into windows). It
    > > appears that all my computers on the network have the same IP address.
    > > This
    > > seems to cause a problem when I try to access the hosted meeting, the
    > > application says "the host is unable to receive your call" or something

    > > that affect.
    > >
    > > Is there any way to host a NetMeeting if you're behind a router that
    > > assigns
    > > the same IP address to every computer on the network?

  5. Re: Can I host a NetMeeting if I use a router?

    Netmeeting (hosting) works differently than AIM, Yahoo, and the such.
    Mainly, all those clients initiate contact with a known server to establish
    a connection. By hosting a netmeeting, your attempting to be the known
    server the other clients are logging on to. Their "knock knock" to your chat
    gets lost at the router door without the DMZ....

    "gb" wrote in message
    news:T8edna0vh_Ns6vLenZ2dnUVZ_tKdnZ2d@adelphia.com ...
    > thanks, I'll try the DMZ thing... a couple questions---
    >
    > how is that I can use Instant Messaging (like AOL or Yahoo) on the two
    > machines that share a router, even without the DMZ set up? Don't they
    > also
    > use the IP address to deliver messages?
    >
    > and, for some reason I am able to join a Net Meeting, even without the DMZ
    > set up. It just seems to croak when I try to host one. Is that normal,
    > given the router setup I have?
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > "fred" wrote in message
    >> I assume that your seeing the same IP address when going to whatsmyip.com

    > or
    >> similar page. This would be your WAN, or Public IP address. (if all your
    >> machines had the same IP, your network wouldn't work) You'll need to tell
    >> your router to send all inbound traffic to one machine. To do this, you

    > need
    >> to set the "DMZ" of the router to the one machine you want to run

    > netmeeting
    >> on.
    >>
    >> It'd really be a good idea to set the selected machine up with a static
    >> IP
    >> address on your LAN. Typically, home routers are set up to use
    >> 192.168.1.XX... as an IP set. This way when you reboot your machine the
    >> IP
    >> address will always agree with the DMZ setting in the router. For
    >> whatever
    >> reason, I always set the last octet to 10 for DMZ use.
    >>

    >> "gb" wrote in message
    >> >I tried to host a NetMeeting (the application built into windows). It
    >> > appears that all my computers on the network have the same IP address.
    >> > This
    >> > seems to cause a problem when I try to access the hosted meeting, the
    >> > application says "the host is unable to receive your call" or something

    >> > that affect.
    >> >
    >> > Is there any way to host a NetMeeting if you're behind a router that
    >> > assigns
    >> > the same IP address to every computer on the network?

+ Reply to Thread