Wireless modem for Shed out the back !!! Recomendations needed. - Routers

This is a discussion on Wireless modem for Shed out the back !!! Recomendations needed. - Routers ; Wireless modem for Shed out the back !!! Recomendations needed. My nephew needs a modem that has some range. Probably a router with the card to put in the PC out in the shed. But i have no idea how ...

  1. Wireless modem for Shed out the back !!! Recomendations needed.

    Wireless modem for Shed out the back !!! Recomendations needed.

    My nephew needs a modem that has some range. Probably a router with
    the card to put in the PC out in the shed. But i have no idea how to
    set one of these up so i need some help. And some recomendations on
    equipment.

    The range would be somthing like 20 metres or so. And not in a direct
    line of site.

    The rason he wants this is becuase his wife does NOT liuke him having
    his PC on all night downloading. And as his wife does not go into the
    Shed which is a carport. Multipurpose area. Its the perfect place to
    leave a PC on all the time and download whatever.

    Does the pc in the house have to be on for the PC in shed to connect
    to the internet. As thats the problem needing to be solved NO pc on in
    the house and PC on in shed. I asumed a pc would need to be on in the
    house to be able to be connected to the net to send the net connection
    to the PC in the shed.

    Please let me know if this is th ecase. I have not used any wireless
    devices other than mouse and keyboards.

    Thanks for any help.

  2. Re: Wireless modem for Shed out the back !!! Recomendations needed.

    First, what type of internet connection are you using? Is it dial-up, DSL,
    FIOS, etc

    If it is DSL or FIOS

    There are many that will work What you want is a wireless router. I use a
    Linksys WRT54GS but, DLink, Netgear, Belkin and others will work. You will
    also need a wireless device for the shed PC. This can be a card that is
    internal to the PC or a USB type that plugs into a USB port. I use a PCMCIA
    card in one of my laptops and built in the other. If this is a desktop I
    would recommend the Linksys WUSB54G because it has a cable that allows you
    to move the device around to capture the best signal.

    Place the router inline between your DSL modem and your current desktop
    connection. Plug the cable from the DSL modem into the WAN jack on the
    router. Plug a new cat 5 Ethernet cable between your PC and the router LAN
    jack. Most routers have 4 LAN jacks and one WAN jack. Set computers to
    obtain IP's automatically. Use the router login procedure from the their
    manual to login to the router. If your ISP requires a login/password to use
    place it in the appropriate place in the router. If not leave blank. Set
    router to run DHCP if not already factory default.

    Now check to see if the desktop in the house can access the internet. If so
    then proceed to the shed pc. If not you may have to reset your DSL modem,
    then router, then pc in that order.

    In the shed you connect your wireless device to the PC. Set PC to obtain IP
    automatically. Driver Software comes with the wireless device. Install it
    and set the SSID and Channel number to the same as the router. You should
    be able to check the status page of the wireless device to see if it is
    receiving a signal and that it received an assigned IP. Open up your
    browser and check if you have internet connections.

    I know in the case of the Linksys there are third party software loads that
    will allow you to increase the output power of the router. However there is
    a tradeoff because it can also generate noise that will degrade your signal
    and slow down your connection. You have to play with the power to find the
    sweet spot of a good signal and high power.

    You can also buy an external antenna for your router that has high gain
    7-8dB that will help. You can also buy directional antennas that work well
    also. For twenty meters that does not have a bunch of walls in between you
    should be okay running stock. If not try to move the router and wireless
    device around to improve the signal. If this doesn't work try the high gain
    antennas next. As a last resort try the third party software (Google search
    third party software "router model").

    You can also run a cable from your router to the shed PC. Provides best
    service.

    Please ignore the punctuation, spelling and grammar. Typing in a hurry.

    "No One Realy" wrote in message

    > Wireless modem for Shed out the back !!! Recomendations needed.
    >

    > My nephew needs a modem that has some range. Probably a router with
    > the card to put in the PC out in the shed. But i have no idea how to
    > set one of these up so i need some help. And some recomendations on
    > equipment.
    >
    > The range would be somthing like 20 metres or so. And not in a direct
    > line of site.
    >
    > The rason he wants this is becuase his wife does NOT liuke him having
    > his PC on all night downloading. And as his wife does not go into the
    > Shed which is a carport. Multipurpose area. Its the perfect place to
    > leave a PC on all the time and download whatever.
    >
    > Does the pc in the house have to be on for the PC in shed to connect
    > to the internet. As thats the problem needing to be solved NO pc on in
    > the house and PC on in shed. I asumed a pc would need to be on in the
    > house to be able to be connected to the net to send the net connection
    > to the PC in the shed.
    >
    > Please let me know if this is th ecase. I have not used any wireless
    > devices other than mouse and keyboards.
    >
    > Thanks for any help.

  3. Re: Wireless modem for Shed out the back !!! Recomendations needed.

    I'm using a Belkin Pre-N router with DSL. It took me a couple of days to
    get the kinks work out but it now works flawlessly and the range is great.
    It's a little spendy but does a great job.

    http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=184316

    "No One Realy" wrote in message

    > Wireless modem for Shed out the back !!! Recomendations needed.
    >

    > My nephew needs a modem that has some range. Probably a router with
    > the card to put in the PC out in the shed. But i have no idea how to
    > set one of these up so i need some help. And some recomendations on
    > equipment.
    >
    > The range would be somthing like 20 metres or so. And not in a direct
    > line of site.
    >
    > The rason he wants this is becuase his wife does NOT liuke him having
    > his PC on all night downloading. And as his wife does not go into the
    > Shed which is a carport. Multipurpose area. Its the perfect place to
    > leave a PC on all the time and download whatever.
    >
    > Does the pc in the house have to be on for the PC in shed to connect
    > to the internet. As thats the problem needing to be solved NO pc on in
    > the house and PC on in shed. I asumed a pc would need to be on in the
    > house to be able to be connected to the net to send the net connection
    > to the PC in the shed.
    >
    > Please let me know if this is th ecase. I have not used any wireless
    > devices other than mouse and keyboards.
    >
    > Thanks for any help.

  4. Re: Wireless modem for Shed out the back !!! Recomendations needed.

    "No One Realy" wrote in message

    > Wireless modem for Shed out the back !!! Recomendations needed.
    >

    > My nephew needs a modem that has some range. Probably a router with
    > the card to put in the PC out in the shed. But i have no idea how to
    > set one of these up so i need some help. And some recomendations on
    > equipment.
    >
    > The range would be somthing like 20 metres or so. And not in a direct
    > line of site.
    >
    > The rason he wants this is becuase his wife does NOT liuke him having
    > his PC on all night downloading. And as his wife does not go into the
    > Shed which is a carport. Multipurpose area. Its the perfect place to
    > leave a PC on all the time and download whatever.
    >
    > Does the pc in the house have to be on for the PC in shed to connect
    > to the internet. As thats the problem needing to be solved NO pc on in
    > the house and PC on in shed. I asumed a pc would need to be on in the
    > house to be able to be connected to the net to send the net connection
    > to the PC in the shed.
    >
    > Please let me know if this is th ecase. I have not used any wireless
    > devices other than mouse and keyboards.
    >
    > Thanks for any help.

    The Belkin router already mentioned is supposed to be a good one know for
    it's range but a little more expensive than most.

    BTW, I don't know where you live but leaving a computer outdoors in a shed
    in varying temperatures and humidity doesn't add up to a long life (for the
    computer that is).

    Good luck!

    Mike

  5. Re: Wireless modem for Shed out the back !!! Recomendations needed.

    UMM i think it wont be an expensive PC. And the shed its pretty well
    built.

    On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 20:50:09 -0400, "Mikey" wrote:

    >"No One Realy" wrote in message
    >>

    >> Wireless modem for Shed out the back !!! Recomendations needed.
    >>

    >> My nephew needs a modem that has some range. Probably a router with
    >> the card to put in the PC out in the shed. But i have no idea how to
    >> set one of these up so i need some help. And some recomendations on
    >> equipment.
    >>
    >> The range would be somthing like 20 metres or so. And not in a direct
    >> line of site.
    >>
    >> The rason he wants this is becuase his wife does NOT liuke him having
    >> his PC on all night downloading. And as his wife does not go into the
    >> Shed which is a carport. Multipurpose area. Its the perfect place to
    >> leave a PC on all the time and download whatever.
    >>
    >> Does the pc in the house have to be on for the PC in shed to connect
    >> to the internet. As thats the problem needing to be solved NO pc on in
    >> the house and PC on in shed. I asumed a pc would need to be on in the
    >> house to be able to be connected to the net to send the net connection
    >> to the PC in the shed.
    >>
    >> Please let me know if this is th ecase. I have not used any wireless
    >> devices other than mouse and keyboards.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help.
    >>

    >The Belkin router already mentioned is supposed to be a good one know for
    >it's range but a little more expensive than most.
    >
    >BTW, I don't know where you live but leaving a computer outdoors in a shed
    >in varying temperatures and humidity doesn't add up to a long life (for the
    >computer that is).
    >
    >Good luck!
    >
    >Mike

  6. Re: Wireless modem for Shed out the back !!! Recomendations needed.

    20 meters should not be a problem, I share my internet connection with my
    son who is several hundred feet away across the parking lot.

    You do not need a PC on in the house, doing so would accomplish nothing.
    Simply install a router with wireless capabilities in the house, preferably
    towards the back side nearest the shed. It is the router that talks to other
    PCs. In a window would help because if you have foil lined insulation you
    may have trouble making a connection. I've done this with a Linksys WRT54G,
    but found that the netgear router has a better range. I personally avoid
    dlink products at all cost.

    In the shed place your computer. Install wireless nic. If the shed is metal
    then it probably won't work. See if you can pick up your router.

    A cheaper alternative: tell your nephew to pull his zipper around to the
    front of his pants and tell his wife that he will be leaving the PC in the
    house on all night whether she likes it or not :-)

    > UMM i think it wont be an expensive PC. And the shed its pretty well
    > built.
    >

    > On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 20:50:09 -0400, "Mikey" wrote:
    >
    >>"No One Realy" wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> Wireless modem for Shed out the back !!! Recomendations needed.
    >>>

    >>> My nephew needs a modem that has some range. Probably a router with
    >>> the card to put in the PC out in the shed. But i have no idea how to
    >>> set one of these up so i need some help. And some recomendations on
    >>> equipment.
    >>>
    >>> The range would be somthing like 20 metres or so. And not in a direct
    >>> line of site.
    >>>
    >>> The rason he wants this is becuase his wife does NOT liuke him having
    >>> his PC on all night downloading. And as his wife does not go into the
    >>> Shed which is a carport. Multipurpose area. Its the perfect place to
    >>> leave a PC on all the time and download whatever.
    >>>
    >>> Does the pc in the house have to be on for the PC in shed to connect
    >>> to the internet. As thats the problem needing to be solved NO pc on in
    >>> the house and PC on in shed. I asumed a pc would need to be on in the
    >>> house to be able to be connected to the net to send the net connection
    >>> to the PC in the shed.
    >>>
    >>> Please let me know if this is th ecase. I have not used any wireless
    >>> devices other than mouse and keyboards.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for any help.
    >>>

    >>The Belkin router already mentioned is supposed to be a good one know for
    >>it's range but a little more expensive than most.
    >>
    >>BTW, I don't know where you live but leaving a computer outdoors in a shed
    >>in varying temperatures and humidity doesn't add up to a long life (for
    >>the
    >>computer that is).
    >>
    >>Good luck!
    >>
    >>Mike