Wireless connection question ... - Routers

This is a discussion on Wireless connection question ... - Routers ; Hello People, I currently have a wired home network with 3 computers connected to a single router (Netgear RP614 v2). However, I want one of the computers to connect to my router via a wireless connection instead of cable. How ...

  1. Wireless connection question ...

    Hello People,

    I currently have a wired home network with 3 computers connected to a single
    router (Netgear RP614 v2).

    However, I want one of the computers to connect to my router via a wireless
    connection instead of cable. How would I do this ??

    I guess I need to plug some type of transmitter/receiver into the current
    RJ45 port of my router and use a wireless PCI card in the PC. Am I right? If
    so, any suggestions on which products are good. I don't really want to
    switch to a wireless router if I can avoid it.

    Is this a viable option as my router and PC are about 15 meters away from
    each other & there's one ceiling and a wall in the way?

    Thanks in advance,

    Nick.

  2. Re: Wireless connection question ...

    Ellada wrote:

    > Hello People,
    >
    > I currently have a wired home network with 3 computers connected to a single
    > router (Netgear RP614 v2).
    >
    > However, I want one of the computers to connect to my router via a wireless
    > connection instead of cable. How would I do this ??
    >
    > I guess I need to plug some type of transmitter/receiver into the current
    > RJ45 port of my router and use a wireless PCI card in the PC. Am I right? If
    > so, any suggestions on which products are good. I don't really want to
    > switch to a wireless router if I can avoid it.
    >
    > Is this a viable option as my router and PC are about 15 meters away from
    > each other & there's one ceiling and a wall in the way?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Nick.

    Nick:

    What you are looking for is called a "Wireless Access Point".

    For Example:

    http://www.netgear.com/products/details/WG602.php

    HTH & GL

    John
    --
    \\\\\//
    "Don't take life so seriously... | |

  3. Re: Wireless connection question ...

    Thank you.

    Nick.

    "John Dulak" wrote in message
    > Ellada wrote:
    > >
    > > Hello People,
    > >
    > > I currently have a wired home network with 3 computers connected to a

    single
    > > router (Netgear RP614 v2).
    > >
    > > However, I want one of the computers to connect to my router via a

    wireless
    > > connection instead of cable. How would I do this ??
    > >
    > > I guess I need to plug some type of transmitter/receiver into the

    current
    > > RJ45 port of my router and use a wireless PCI card in the PC. Am I

    right? If
    > > so, any suggestions on which products are good. I don't really want to
    > > switch to a wireless router if I can avoid it.
    > >
    > > Is this a viable option as my router and PC are about 15 meters away

    from
    > > each other & there's one ceiling and a wall in the way?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance,
    > >
    > > Nick.

    > Nick:
    >
    > What you are looking for is called a "Wireless Access Point".
    >
    > For Example:
    >
    > http://www.netgear.com/products/details/WG602.php
    >
    > HTH & GL
    >
    > John
    > --
    > \\\\\//
    > "Don't take life so seriously... | |
    > ...it's only a temporary condition." (.) (.)
    > ========================================oOO==(_)== OOo==
    > | John G. Dulak |
    > | Gnomeway Services |
    > /)| E-mail me from my home page at: |(\