Configuring router to run FTP server?? - Routers

This is a discussion on Configuring router to run FTP server?? - Routers ; OK, I have a Linksys router and am trying to set up an FTP server (BPFTP server). I followed Linksys directions, and connected to my machine (the server) using Bulletproof FTP, however, it doesn't show any of the files in ...

  1. Configuring router to run FTP server??

    OK, I have a Linksys router and am trying to set up an FTP server (BPFTP
    server). I followed Linksys directions, and connected to my machine (the
    server) using Bulletproof FTP, however, it doesn't show any of the files in
    the directory. All the permissions have been checked at least 2x. I can
    create files, and am able to see them on the server, however when I am
    connected no files show up. Im sure I am doing something wrong with the
    router because before I had the router I had the server up and going.

    Any help is appreciated.

    -Orv

  2. Re: Configuring router to run FTP server??

    "Orv" wrote in message
    > OK, I have a Linksys router and am trying to set up an FTP server (BPFTP
    > server). I followed Linksys directions, and connected to my machine (the
    > server) using Bulletproof FTP, however, it doesn't show any of the files
    > in the directory. All the permissions have been checked at least 2x. I can
    > create files, and am able to see them on the server, however when I am
    > connected no files show up. Im sure I am doing something wrong with the
    > router because before I had the router I had the server up and going.
    >
    > Any help is appreciated.

    Try logging into the FTP server from the LAN side of the router first (using
    the 192.168.x.x address or whatever your LAN is using). If it works, then
    port forwarding on the router is not set up correctly. If it doesn't work
    from the LAN side, then there's something wrong with your FTP server.

    The only thing you need to set up on your router for FTP is port forwarding
    for the FTP port (port 21 if I remember correctly (unless you are using a
    different port number)) to the LAN address of the machine the server program
    runs on.

    --
    NoRemorse
    "Expect me when you see me."

  3. Re: Configuring router to run FTP server??

    Thanks for the help. I think I was failing to refresh the directory when I
    was connected. Anywho, it works fine now!

    Appreciate
    -Orv

    "NoRemorse" wrote in message
    > "Orv" wrote in message
    >> OK, I have a Linksys router and am trying to set up an FTP server (BPFTP
    >> server). I followed Linksys directions, and connected to my machine (the
    >> server) using Bulletproof FTP, however, it doesn't show any of the files
    >> in the directory. All the permissions have been checked at least 2x. I
    >> can create files, and am able to see them on the server, however when I
    >> am connected no files show up. Im sure I am doing something wrong with
    >> the router because before I had the router I had the server up and going.
    >>
    >> Any help is appreciated.
    >>

    > Try logging into the FTP server from the LAN side of the router first
    > (using the 192.168.x.x address or whatever your LAN is using). If it
    > works, then port forwarding on the router is not set up correctly. If it
    > doesn't work from the LAN side, then there's something wrong with your FTP
    > server.
    >
    > The only thing you need to set up on your router for FTP is port
    > forwarding for the FTP port (port 21 if I remember correctly (unless you
    > are using a different port number)) to the LAN address of the machine the
    > server program runs on.
    >
    > --
    > NoRemorse
    > "Expect me when you see me."