Networking router with only one port. - Routers

This is a discussion on Networking router with only one port. - Routers ; I purchased an ADSL modem, which it says is a router. When I plug it in using the USB windows recognises it and it works, but I want to know is, it only has one ethernet port, so how am ...

  1. Networking router with only one port.

    I purchased an ADSL modem, which it says is a router.

    When I plug it in using the USB windows recognises it and it works, but
    I want to know is, it only has one ethernet port, so how am i meant to
    network with it?

    Is it as i suspect that you're meant to plug it into your pc using the
    USB, then use the eternet port to plug it into the other pc on your network.

    I'm asking because at the moment i have a 3 PC network (mine and 2
    clients) and would like to know if i can use this modem/router to
    network them.

    Its an ADSL-MR1A router, which uses a conexant chip.

    Any help would be appreciated.

  2. Re: Networking router with only one port.

    "Newsscanner" wrote in message
    >I purchased an ADSL modem, which it says is a router.
    >
    > When I plug it in using the USB windows recognises it and it works,
    > but I want to know is, it only has one ethernet port, so how am i
    > meant to network with it?
    >
    > Is it as i suspect that you're meant to plug it into your pc using the
    > USB, then use the eternet port to plug it into the other pc on your
    > network.
    >
    > I'm asking because at the moment i have a 3 PC network (mine and 2
    > clients) and would like to know if i can use this modem/router to
    > network them.
    >
    > Its an ADSL-MR1A router, which uses a conexant chip.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.

    Connect a switch to the Ethernet port of the router.

    P.S.
    There are way too many manufacturers of routers to bother hunting around
    all their web sites to see which has one with a model number of MR1A.

  3. Re: Networking router with only one port.

    Vanguard wrote:
    > "Newsscanner" wrote in message
    >
    >> I purchased an ADSL modem, which it says is a router.
    >>
    >> When I plug it in using the USB windows recognises it and it works,
    >> but I want to know is, it only has one ethernet port, so how am i
    >> meant to network with it?
    >>
    >> Is it as i suspect that you're meant to plug it into your pc using the
    >> USB, then use the eternet port to plug it into the other pc on your
    >> network.
    >>
    >> I'm asking because at the moment i have a 3 PC network (mine and 2
    >> clients) and would like to know if i can use this modem/router to
    >> network them.
    >>
    >> Its an ADSL-MR1A router, which uses a conexant chip.
    >>
    >> Any help would be appreciated.

    > Connect a switch to the Ethernet port of the router.
    >
    > P.S.
    > There are way too many manufacturers of routers to bother hunting around
    > all their web sites to see which has one with a model number of MR1A.

    Thank you for that reply.
    At the moment the 3 PCs are linked through a 4 port hub.
    Will this do too instead of a switch?
    Thank you,
    Newsscanner.

  4. Re: Networking router with only one port.

    > Vanguard wrote:
    >> "Newsscanner" wrote in message
    >>
    >>> I purchased an ADSL modem, which it says is a router.
    >>>
    >>> When I plug it in using the USB windows recognises it and it works,
    >>> but I want to know is, it only has one ethernet port, so how am i
    >>> meant to network with it?
    >>>
    >>> Is it as i suspect that you're meant to plug it into your pc using
    >>> the USB, then use the eternet port to plug it into the other pc on
    >>> your network.
    >>>
    >>> I'm asking because at the moment i have a 3 PC network (mine and 2
    >>> clients) and would like to know if i can use this modem/router to
    >>> network them.
    >>>
    >>> Its an ADSL-MR1A router, which uses a conexant chip.
    >>>
    >>> Any help would be appreciated.

    >> Connect a switch to the Ethernet port of the router.
    >>
    >> P.S.
    >> There are way too many manufacturers of routers to bother hunting
    >> around all their web sites to see which has one with a model number
    >> of MR1A.

    > Thank you for that reply.
    > At the moment the 3 PCs are linked through a 4 port hub.
    > Will this do too instead of a switch?
    > Thank you,
    > Newsscanner.

    The hub means all the connected hosts will *share* whatever is the
    maximum bandwidth rating for the hub. A switch creates a virtual route
    between the connected hosts which gets the full bandwidth of the device.
    So, for example with a hub rated for 10Mbps, the 3 or 4 hosts will share
    that 10Mbps bandwidth. If you dump a lot of traffic for one host, like
    a network printer or a huge download, then you choke the other hosts.
    You won't with a switch (and why a switch is more expensive than a hub).
    How much degradation you experience with a hub versus a switch depends
    on how much traffic you are trying to push around and how fast. With
    only 3 hosts then you are probably okay (unless you do lots of printing
    or transfer huge files between hosts).

    Hub: All hosts share bandwidth.
    Switch: Each virtual route between hosts gets full bandwidth.

    http://www.duxcw.com/faq/network/hubsw.htm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_hub
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_switch

  5. Re: Networking router with only one port.

    From: "Newsscanner"

    | I purchased an ADSL modem, which it says is a router.
    |
    | When I plug it in using the USB windows recognises it and it works, but
    | I want to know is, it only has one ethernet port, so how am i meant to
    | network with it?
    |
    | Is it as i suspect that you're meant to plug it into your pc using the
    | USB, then use the eternet port to plug it into the other pc on your network.
    |
    | I'm asking because at the moment i have a 3 PC network (mine and 2
    | clients) and would like to know if i can use this modem/router to
    | network them.
    |
    | Its an ADSL-MR1A router, which uses a conexant chip.
    |
    | Any help would be appreciated.

    Get an Ethernet switch or Ethernet hub. The Router/modem probably is either USB or
    Ethernet.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

  6. Re: Networking router with only one port.

    From: "Vanguard"

    | "Newsscanner" wrote in message
    >> Vanguard wrote:
    >>> "Newsscanner" wrote in message

    >>> Connect a switch to the Ethernet port of the router.
    >>>
    >>> P.S.
    >>> There are way too many manufacturers of routers to bother hunting
    >>> around all their web sites to see which has one with a model number
    >>> of MR1A.

    >> Thank you for that reply.
    >> At the moment the 3 PCs are linked through a 4 port hub.
    >> Will this do too instead of a switch?
    >> Thank you,
    >> Newsscanner.

    | The hub means all the connected hosts will *share* whatever is the
    | maximum bandwidth rating for the hub. A switch creates a virtual route
    | between the connected hosts which gets the full bandwidth of the device.
    | So, for example with a hub rated for 10Mbps, the 3 or 4 hosts will share
    | that 10Mbps bandwidth. If you dump a lot of traffic for one host, like
    | a network printer or a huge download, then you choke the other hosts.
    | You won't with a switch (and why a switch is more expensive than a hub).
    | How much degradation you experience with a hub versus a switch depends
    | on how much traffic you are trying to push around and how fast. With
    | only 3 hosts then you are probably okay (unless you do lots of printing
    | or transfer huge files between hosts).
    |
    | Hub: All hosts share bandwidth.
    | Switch: Each virtual route between hosts gets full bandwidth.
    |
    | http://www.duxcw.com/faq/network/hubsw.htm
    | http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_hub
    | http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_switch

    To add to that ...

    Each port on an Ethernet switch has its own packet collision domain and a PC or device
    directly connected to an Ethernet switch can work in Full-Duplex mode which means the
    Collision Detection is turned off and the PC or device can send and receive packets at the
    same time. This will almost effectively double the LAN transmission rate of 10Mb/s to
    20Mb/s or 100 Mb/s to 200Mb/s.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm