Help, is my router going bad? - Routers

This is a discussion on Help, is my router going bad? - Routers ; I'm having a problem with my router which is a Linksys BEFSR41, I have had it for several years and it always worked well. I started to get the error, "operation timed out" about a month ago. When I'm downloading ...

  1. Help, is my router going bad?

    I'm having a problem with my router which is a Linksys BEFSR41, I have
    had it for several years and it always worked well. I started to get
    the error, "operation timed out" about a month ago. When I'm
    downloading a large file, I'll see the red light on my router blink
    and my speed will drop from 325 kB/sec to 0 kB/sec. After much
    processes of elimination, reformatting the drive and fresh install of
    Win XP, upgrading the firmware and resetting the router. I
    disconnected the router and hooked the cable directly to the PC, I get
    no time out.
    I don't know what a router does when it starts to malfunction so I
    have to ask. "Does this router belong in the trash"?
    Thanks for taking time to help
    TheBoz

  2. Re: Help, is my router going bad?

    From: "TheBoz"

    | I'm having a problem with my router which is a Linksys BEFSR41, I have
    | had it for several years and it always worked well. I started to get
    | the error, "operation timed out" about a month ago. When I'm
    | downloading a large file, I'll see the red light on my router blink
    | and my speed will drop from 325 kB/sec to 0 kB/sec. After much
    | processes of elimination, reformatting the drive and fresh install of
    | Win XP, upgrading the firmware and resetting the router. I
    | disconnected the router and hooked the cable directly to the PC, I get
    | no time out.
    | I don't know what a router does when it starts to malfunction so I
    | have to ask. "Does this router belong in the trash"?
    | Thanks for taking time to help
    | TheBoz

    You first must determine if is not an ISP problem by bypassing the Router.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

  3. Re: Help, is my router going bad?

    If you read his post, he did bypass the router and everything worked fine.
    First thing I would try Boz is to upgrade your router firmware. You can pull
    it down from the linksys website, or you can try some forum sites like dsl
    reports or what not and try a beta firmware if latest official firmware
    doesn't work out for you. If that doesn't help, you router could be on the
    fritz.

    -jason

    "David H. Lipman" wrote in message
    > From: "TheBoz"
    >
    > | I'm having a problem with my router which is a Linksys BEFSR41, I have
    > | had it for several years and it always worked well. I started to get
    > | the error, "operation timed out" about a month ago. When I'm
    > | downloading a large file, I'll see the red light on my router blink
    > | and my speed will drop from 325 kB/sec to 0 kB/sec. After much
    > | processes of elimination, reformatting the drive and fresh install of
    > | Win XP, upgrading the firmware and resetting the router. I
    > | disconnected the router and hooked the cable directly to the PC, I get
    > | no time out.
    > | I don't know what a router does when it starts to malfunction so I
    > | have to ask. "Does this router belong in the trash"?
    > | Thanks for taking time to help
    > | TheBoz
    > |

    > You first must determine if is not an ISP problem by bypassing the Router.
    >
    > --
    > Dave
    > http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

  4. Re: Help, is my router going bad?

    From: "Jason Fellenbaum"

    | If you read his post, he did bypass the router and everything worked fine.
    | First thing I would try Boz is to upgrade your router firmware. You can pull
    | it down from the linksys website, or you can try some forum sites like dsl
    | reports or what not and try a beta firmware if latest official firmware
    | doesn't work out for you. If that doesn't help, you router could be on the
    | fritz.
    |
    | -jason

    Oooops :-(

    Thank for noticing my mistake.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

  5. Re: Help, is my router going bad?

    Thanks for the imput. I already did the upgrade with the firmware and
    it'll still timeout. I have purchased another router on ebay new unit,
    but older wireless model, that I can use with my wired system. When I
    get it I'll know for sure and post the findings.
    TheBoz
    On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 13:22:19 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
    wrote:

    >From: "Jason Fellenbaum"
    >
    >| If you read his post, he did bypass the router and everything worked fine.
    >| First thing I would try Boz is to upgrade your router firmware. You can pull
    >| it down from the linksys website, or you can try some forum sites like dsl
    >| reports or what not and try a beta firmware if latest official firmware
    >| doesn't work out for you. If that doesn't help, you router could be on the
    >| fritz.
    >|
    >| -jason
    >

    >Oooops :-(
    >
    >Thank for noticing my mistake.

  6. Re: Help, is my router going bad?

    > If you read his post, he did bypass the router and everything worked fine.
    > First thing I would try Boz is to upgrade your router firmware. You can

    pull
    > it down from the linksys website, or you can try some forum sites like dsl
    > reports or what not and try a beta firmware if latest official firmware
    > doesn't work out for you. If that doesn't help, you router could be on the
    > fritz.
    >
    > -jason

    Hehehe. Do the words "pot", "kettle" and "black" mean anything to you
    Jas.....

+ Reply to Thread