Port Forwarding Problems Belkin Router - Routers

This is a discussion on Port Forwarding Problems Belkin Router - Routers ; I am using a Belkin FSD7630-4A. I had port forwarding set up for some ports and it was working fine. I now need to set up some more ports to forward but it doesn't seem to be working. I have ...

  1. Port Forwarding Problems Belkin Router

    I am using a Belkin FSD7630-4A. I had port forwarding set up for some ports
    and it was working fine. I now need to set up some more ports to forward but
    it doesn't seem to be working. I have scanned the ports I set up in the past
    on the shield up website https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 and they come
    up as closed and the applications that need these ports forwarded are
    working fine, but the new ports I have tried to forward are not working and
    when I scan them on the shields up website it reports them as in stealth
    mode, which I guess is why the application that needs these ports is not
    working. Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: Port Forwarding Problems Belkin Router

    Phil wrote:
    > I am using a Belkin FSD7630-4A. I had port forwarding set up for some
    > ports and it was working fine. I now need to set up some more ports
    > to forward but it doesn't seem to be working. I have scanned the
    > ports I set up in the past on the shield up website
    > https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 and they come up as closed and
    > the applications that need these ports forwarded are working fine,
    > but the new ports I have tried to forward are not working and when I
    > scan them on the shields up website it reports them as in stealth
    > mode, which I guess is why the application that needs these ports is
    > not working. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

    Check the current IP address of the computer to which the ports are
    forwarded against the IP address specified in the router. Belkin
    routers seem to have the ability to maintain original port forwarding
    when the destination IP address changes, although it should not,
    (another Belkin oddity) but cannot forward newly defined ports to either
    that same original or the new IP address. Again very bizzare.

    I am suffering the very same problem on a Belkin 54G wireless router and
    have not yet found a solution. Reverting to factory default is not a
    solution with this router. It might be a firmware issue, but I have yet
    to reinstall the current version to test.

  3. Re: Port Forwarding Problems Belkin Router

    "Quaoar" wrote in message
    > Phil wrote:
    >> I am using a Belkin FSD7630-4A. I had port forwarding set up for some
    >> ports and it was working fine. I now need to set up some more ports
    >> to forward but it doesn't seem to be working. I have scanned the
    >> ports I set up in the past on the shield up website
    >> https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 and they come up as closed and
    >> the applications that need these ports forwarded are working fine,
    >> but the new ports I have tried to forward are not working and when I
    >> scan them on the shields up website it reports them as in stealth
    >> mode, which I guess is why the application that needs these ports is
    >> not working. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

    > Check the current IP address of the computer to which the ports are
    > forwarded against the IP address specified in the router. Belkin routers
    > seem to have the ability to maintain original port forwarding when the
    > destination IP address changes, although it should not, (another Belkin
    > oddity) but cannot forward newly defined ports to either that same
    > original or the new IP address. Again very bizzare.
    >
    > I am suffering the very same problem on a Belkin 54G wireless router and
    > have not yet found a solution. Reverting to factory default is not a
    > solution with this router. It might be a firmware issue, but I have yet
    > to reinstall the current version to test.

    I checked the destination IP address and it hasn't changed. Very strange.
    This is the 2nd problem I've had with this router. It stopped working
    completley about 3 months ago and they replaced it. I've only had it 4
    months! Think it could be time to go for a different brand.

  4. Re: Port Forwarding Problems Belkin Router

    Phil wrote:
    > "Quaoar" wrote in message
    >> Phil wrote:
    >>> I am using a Belkin FSD7630-4A. I had port forwarding set up for
    >>> some ports and it was working fine. I now need to set up some more
    >>> ports to forward but it doesn't seem to be working. I have scanned
    >>> the ports I set up in the past on the shield up website
    >>> https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 and they come up as closed and
    >>> the applications that need these ports forwarded are working fine,
    >>> but the new ports I have tried to forward are not working and when I
    >>> scan them on the shields up website it reports them as in stealth
    >>> mode, which I guess is why the application that needs these ports is
    >>> not working. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

    >> Check the current IP address of the computer to which the ports are
    >> forwarded against the IP address specified in the router. Belkin
    >> routers seem to have the ability to maintain original port
    >> forwarding when the destination IP address changes, although it
    >> should not, (another Belkin oddity) but cannot forward newly defined
    >> ports to either that same original or the new IP address. Again
    >> very bizzare. I am suffering the very same problem on a Belkin 54G
    >> wireless router
    >> and have not yet found a solution. Reverting to factory default is
    >> not a solution with this router. It might be a firmware issue, but
    >> I have yet to reinstall the current version to test.

    > I checked the destination IP address and it hasn't changed. Very
    > strange. This is the 2nd problem I've had with this router. It
    > stopped working completley about 3 months ago and they replaced it.
    > I've only had it 4 months! Think it could be time to go for a
    > different brand.

    Update

    I had a print server set with a static IP address ...39.96 ( using my
    setup as 192.168.39.xyz) from a previous setup when I installed this
    router. It turns out, I think, that static addresses should be set in
    the initial range, i.e., ...39.1 and then the DHCP block should be
    defined as ...39.2 - ...39.X with a lease time of "Forever". This seems
    to take care of the changing DHCP IP addresses that were, in this case,
    ....39.97+ that were formerly assigned to ...39.1+ . The port forwarded
    to various IPs seem to stay fixed now and not arbitrarily changing or
    failing.