Which router for a /29 subnet? - Routers

This is a discussion on Which router for a /29 subnet? - Routers ; Hello everybody, I'm in the process of setting up a network in which my internet connectivity provider is assigning me a /29 subnet ( 8 ips - 5 useable - others for network address, broadcast and gateway I presume ). ...

  1. Which router for a /29 subnet?

    Hello everybody,

    I'm in the process of setting up a network in which my internet
    connectivity provider is assigning me a /29 subnet ( 8 ips - 5 useable
    - others for network address, broadcast and gateway I presume ).

    I need an ethernet router ( not DSL/Cable ) that can be configured to
    route a subnet. What brand and models do you recommend? Will the
    typical Netgear, Linksys and D-Link $50-$100 dollar router work? Or
    must I buy a router that has extra features that allow it to be
    configured to route a subnet without NAT and DHCP?

    Thanks,
    Jim Norton

  2. Re: Which router for a /29 subnet?

    Simplest solution (and cheapest) is to put a switch between ISP modem and
    use several low-cost routers.
    All routers can have/manage individual LAN subnets, or - if bridged -
    combine more as one subnet into a virtual single with several gateways.
    As far as my experience goes in SOHO, DLink (eg DI604 etc) is my preferred
    since easy configurable and very reliable, but that's a matter of
    preferences of course

    "Jim Norton" wrote in message
    news:1118796135.922996.50660@g49g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
    > Hello everybody,
    >
    > I'm in the process of setting up a network in which my internet
    > connectivity provider is assigning me a /29 subnet ( 8 ips - 5 useable
    > - others for network address, broadcast and gateway I presume ).
    >
    > I need an ethernet router ( not DSL/Cable ) that can be configured to
    > route a subnet. What brand and models do you recommend? Will the
    > typical Netgear, Linksys and D-Link $50-$100 dollar router work? Or
    > must I buy a router that has extra features that allow it to be
    > configured to route a subnet without NAT and DHCP?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jim Norton

+ Reply to Thread