Linksys service: pretty bad so far. - Routers

This is a discussion on Linksys service: pretty bad so far. - Routers ; I have a WCG200 (cable gateway). Something is wrong, with NAT, and the Linksys knowledge base points to the need to upgrade the software. The web site does not provide the firmware. Why not ? Called technical support (very, very, ...

  1. Linksys service: pretty bad so far.

    I have a WCG200 (cable gateway).

    Something is wrong, with NAT, and the Linksys knowledge base points to the
    need to upgrade the software.
    The web site does not provide the firmware. Why not ?

    Called technical support (very, very, very slow....paid by the hour?), and
    finally said they will send me by email the software.

    Next day I still have not received the software, and when I call again with
    the case number, then I am being put on hold for ever....

    This thing has been going on for over a week, and the people on the phone do
    not seem to know what they are doing....
    They need "some" training.
    Does anyone at Linksys, supervise anything on technical support?
    My guess is not.

    The product is just as good, as it weakest link.
    The weakest link may be here for technical support, including the web site.
    I have purchased several Linksys routers, but now I am losing patience, and
    the next purchase will probably another brand, possibly DLINK (they seems
    to get good reviews).

    By the way: after I called again (5th time?) I was just told again that the
    firmware would be e-mailed to me today within less than 4 hours.
    I cannot wait....
    ----

  2. Re: Linksys service: pretty bad so far.

    AnonymousFC3 wrote:
    > I have a WCG200 (cable gateway).
    >
    > Something is wrong, with NAT, and the Linksys knowledge base points
    > to the need to upgrade the software.
    > The web site does not provide the firmware. Why not ?
    >
    > Called technical support (very, very, very slow....paid by the
    > hour?), and finally said they will send me by email the software.
    >
    > Next day I still have not received the software, and when I call
    > again with the case number, then I am being put on hold for ever....
    >
    > This thing has been going on for over a week, and the people on the
    > phone do not seem to know what they are doing....
    > They need "some" training.
    > Does anyone at Linksys, supervise anything on technical support?
    > My guess is not.
    >
    > The product is just as good, as it weakest link.
    > The weakest link may be here for technical support, including the
    > web site. I have purchased several Linksys routers, but now I am
    > losing patience, and the next purchase will probably another brand,
    > possibly DLINK (they seems to get good reviews).
    >
    > By the way: after I called again (5th time?) I was just told again
    > that the firmware would be e-mailed to me today within less than 4
    > hours.
    > I cannot wait....
    > ----

    Have you tried here?
    http://www.linksys.com/download/driver.asp?dlid=129

    --

    Travis in Shoreline Washington

  3. Re: Linksys service: pretty bad so far.

    "AnonymousFC3" wrote in message
    >I have a WCG200 (cable gateway).
    >
    > Something is wrong, with NAT, and the Linksys knowledge base points to the
    > need to upgrade the software.
    > The web site does not provide the firmware. Why not ?

    Because it is a combination router/cable modem and only the IPS's can get
    and send out the firmware upgrades on cable modems.
    Note: Linksys tech support is a joke and probably did not look deeply enough
    through their own links to see that the only thing they make available to
    the end user in their driver/firmware section for this model is the USB
    drivers and not the firmware. I know this because I had this model and had
    the same experience with their "email tag" support system.

    > Called technical support (very, very, very slow....paid by the hour?), and
    > finally said they will send me by email the software.
    >
    > Next day I still have not received the software, and when I call again
    > with
    > the case number, then I am being put on hold for ever....
    >
    > This thing has been going on for over a week, and the people on the phone
    > do
    > not seem to know what they are doing....
    > They need "some" training.
    > Does anyone at Linksys, supervise anything on technical support?
    > My guess is not.

    Good guess and no you won't be getting firmware in your email.

    > The product is just as good, as it weakest link.
    > The weakest link may be here for technical support, including the web
    > site.
    > I have purchased several Linksys routers, but now I am losing patience,
    > and
    > the next purchase will probably another brand, possibly DLINK (they seems
    > to get good reviews).
    >
    > By the way: after I called again (5th time?) I was just told again that
    > the
    > firmware would be e-mailed to me today within less than 4 hours.
    > I cannot wait....
    > ----

    Don't hold your breath. BTW AFAIK no manufacturer of combination
    router/cable modems, regardless of brand, is making firmware available to
    its end users. The ISP only, has control over how, when, where, the firmware
    updates are pushed to the modems. You may have to tell Linksys support this
    before they become smart enough to repeat it back to you. They all work from
    scripts.

  4. Re: Linksys service: pretty bad so far.

    "Travis" wrote in message
    > AnonymousFC3 wrote:
    >> I have a WCG200 (cable gateway).
    >>
    >> Something is wrong, with NAT, and the Linksys knowledge base points
    >> to the need to upgrade the software.
    >> The web site does not provide the firmware. Why not ?
    >>
    >> Called technical support (very, very, very slow....paid by the
    >> hour?), and finally said they will send me by email the software.
    >>
    >> Next day I still have not received the software, and when I call
    >> again with the case number, then I am being put on hold for ever....
    >>
    >> This thing has been going on for over a week, and the people on the
    >> phone do not seem to know what they are doing....
    >> They need "some" training.
    >> Does anyone at Linksys, supervise anything on technical support?
    >> My guess is not.
    >>
    >> The product is just as good, as it weakest link.
    >> The weakest link may be here for technical support, including the
    >> web site. I have purchased several Linksys routers, but now I am
    >> losing patience, and the next purchase will probably another brand,
    >> possibly DLINK (they seems to get good reviews).
    >>
    >> By the way: after I called again (5th time?) I was just told again
    >> that the firmware would be e-mailed to me today within less than 4
    >> hours. I cannot wait....
    >> ----

    > Have you tried here?
    > http://www.linksys.com/download/driver.asp?dlid=129
    >
    > --
    >
    > Travis in Shoreline Washington

    Have you? Had you actually tried that link, or for that matter had Linksys
    support (Morons that they are) tried it they'd see it is miss labled and is
    merely the USB drivers for the WCG200 and NOT the Firmware. They should know
    this already as I know I told them and I seriously doubt I'm the only one
    who did. This model has a number of serious firmware bugs that render it
    nearly useless.

    Incidentally, my ISP refused to update my firmware even after agreeing that
    they were the only ones with the capability to do so!

    I know use a Motorola SBG900 and the Linksys is on the shelf collecting
    dust. BTW even my Motorola that does work has no user flashable firmware
    available for it. No new box that has a cable modem has. ISP only.

  5. Re: Linksys service: pretty bad so far.

    From: "JoeT"

    | Have you? Had you actually tried that link, or for that matter had Linksys
    | support (Morons that they are) tried it they'd see it is miss labled and is
    | merely the USB drivers for the WCG200 and NOT the Firmware. They should know
    | this already as I know I told them and I seriously doubt I'm the only one
    | who did. This model has a number of serious firmware bugs that render it
    | nearly useless.
    |
    | Incidentally, my ISP refused to update my firmware even after agreeing that
    | they were the only ones with the capability to do so!
    |
    | I know use a Motorola SBG900 and the Linksys is on the shelf collecting
    | dust. BTW even my Motorola that does work has no user flashable firmware
    | available for it. No new box that has a cable modem has. ISP only.

    Yep ! Those are OS drivers and not FirmWare.

    Same with the FTP site...

    ftp://ftp.linksys.com//pub/network

    I dodn't see FirmWare there. It should be 256KB ~ 400KB

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

+ Reply to Thread