Problems when not connected to router - Routers

This is a discussion on Problems when not connected to router - Routers ; I use a broadband cable connection at home, with a router, desktop and laptop. I just made a trip with my laptop, and when connected via dial up i was unable to use my browser. It would work for about ...

  1. Problems when not connected to router

    I use a broadband cable connection at home, with a router, desktop and
    laptop. I just made a trip with my laptop, and when connected via dial up i
    was unable to use my browser. It would work for about three or four sites,
    and then freeze my computer. Is there some setting I should use when not
    connected to my broadband connection or my router. Thanks, for any help.

  2. Re: Problems when not connected to router

    J wrote:
    > I use a broadband cable connection at home, with a router, desktop and
    > laptop. I just made a trip with my laptop, and when connected via
    > dial up i was unable to use my browser. It would work for about
    > three or four sites, and then freeze my computer. Is there some
    > setting I should use when not connected to my broadband connection or
    > my router. Thanks, for any help.

    Connecting direct to dialup is like visiting a house of ill repute
    without protection. Not knowing anything more than what you've
    described it seems to me that your laptop is being infected. I hope you
    have a good firewall and anti-virus running.