Linksys BEFSR41 Filter Ports Problem - Routers

This is a discussion on Linksys BEFSR41 Filter Ports Problem - Routers ; Hi, I'm attempting to configure my BEFSR41 v.3 Linksys router to filter ports. I have the most recent 1.05.00 firmware installed. If I attempt to use the Filter Port Range option in the Security menu, I can only filter ports ...

  1. Linksys BEFSR41 Filter Ports Problem

    Hi,

    I'm attempting to configure my BEFSR41 v.3 Linksys router to filter ports.
    I have the most recent 1.05.00 firmware installed. If I attempt to use the
    Filter Port Range option in the Security menu, I can only filter ports 1 -
    999. Any attempt to filter ports higher than 999 generates a HTTP 500
    internal server error.

    Anyone know if this is this a limitation of this router's firmware, or is
    it just my router that is screwed up?

  2. Re: Linksys BEFSR41 Filter Ports Problem

    "dc" wrote in message
    | Hi,
    |
    | I'm attempting to configure my BEFSR41 v.3 Linksys router to filter ports.
    | I have the most recent 1.05.00 firmware installed. If I attempt to use the
    | Filter Port Range option in the Security menu, I can only filter ports 1 -
    | 999. Any attempt to filter ports higher than 999 generates a HTTP 500
    | internal server error.
    |
    | Anyone know if this is this a limitation of this router's firmware, or is
    | it just my router that is screwed up?

    There's in no need to. You don't need to block ports that are not open on the LAN side.
    The most important ports fall inside the range of 1 ~ 1024 , thus 999 is OK.

    As always, I suggest blocking both TCP and UDP ports 135 ~ 139 and 445 on *any* SOHO Router.

    --
    Dave

  3. Re: Linksys BEFSR41 Filter Ports Problem

    David H. Lipman wrote:
    > "dc" wrote in message
    > | Hi,
    > |
    > | I'm attempting to configure my BEFSR41 v.3 Linksys router to filter ports.
    > | I have the most recent 1.05.00 firmware installed. If I attempt to use the
    > | Filter Port Range option in the Security menu, I can only filter ports 1 -
    > | 999. Any attempt to filter ports higher than 999 generates a HTTP 500
    > | internal server error.
    > |
    > | Anyone know if this is this a limitation of this router's firmware, or is
    > | it just my router that is screwed up?
    >
    > There's in no need to. You don't need to block ports that are not open on the LAN side.
    > The most important ports fall inside the range of 1 ~ 1024 , thus 999 is OK.
    >
    > As always, I suggest blocking both TCP and UDP ports 135 ~ 139 and 445 on *any* SOHO Router.

    maybe he wants to filter ports because he does not want lan users to
    access them. like say port 119 he wants blocked so no one can use nntp.
    but for higher ports. or he wants to do what the router already is
    doing, not sure.

    i have in my home now a linksys WRT54GS borrowed from my uncles and it
    doesn't even let you block ports at all. this is way stupid and totally
    goes to show ya how these linksys routers aren't even close to being a
    true firewall.

  4. Re: Linksys BEFSR41 Filter Ports Problem

    Joe wrote:
    > David H. Lipman wrote:
    >> "dc" wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I'm attempting to configure my BEFSR41 v.3 Linksys router to filter
    >>> ports. I have the most recent 1.05.00 firmware installed. If I
    >>> attempt to use the Filter Port Range option in the Security menu, I
    >>> can only filter ports 1 - 999. Any attempt to filter ports higher
    >>> than 999 generates a HTTP 500 internal server error.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone know if this is this a limitation of this router's firmware,
    >>> or is it just my router that is screwed up?

    >> There's in no need to. You don't need to block ports that are not
    >> open on the LAN side. The most important ports fall inside the range
    >> of 1 ~ 1024 , thus 999 is OK. As always, I suggest blocking both TCP
    >> and UDP ports 135 ~ 139 and
    >> 445 on *any* SOHO Router.

    > maybe he wants to filter ports because he does not want lan users to
    > access them. like say port 119 he wants blocked so no one can use
    > nntp. but for higher ports. or he wants to do what the router already
    > is doing, not sure.
    >
    > i have in my home now a linksys WRT54GS borrowed from my uncles and it
    > doesn't even let you block ports at all. this is way stupid and
    > totally goes to show ya how these linksys routers aren't even close
    > to being a true firewall.

    Common consumer routers impose only the security that is inherent in
    NAT. There isn't any common consumer router that advertises itself as a
    firewall or is recognized by users as a firewall, AFIK.

+ Reply to Thread