Linksys routers all in a row - Routers

This is a discussion on Linksys routers all in a row - Routers ; Thanks for taking the time to read this. Routing is in no way my strong point. I have an issue/question that involves a cable modem, 2 linksys routers ( BEFW11S4 ) and a few PC's Ok the current setup (grab ...

  1. Linksys routers all in a row

    Thanks for taking the time to read this.
    Routing is in no way my strong point.
    I have an issue/question that involves a cable modem, 2 linksys routers (
    BEFW11S4 ) and a few PC's

    Ok the current setup (grab a coke this might get long winded):
    Router A
    Port "WAN" connected to the cable modem pulls all info via DHCP from ISP.
    LAN side Router A is set as 192.168.1.1 DHCP is off, I have a Win2kadvanced
    server doing the DHCP/internal DNS.
    Port 1 is connected to a PC in the same room w/ Router A and Cable modem
    Port 2 is connected via standard cable to Router B Port 1 (50 foot cable in
    wall)
    Port 3 open
    Port 4 open

    Router B
    Port "WAN" open
    LAN side Router B is set as 192.168.1.2 DHCP off.
    Port 1 is connected via standard cable to Router A Port 2 (50 foot cable in
    wall)
    Port 2 is connected to my gaming PC.
    Port 3 is connected to the "LAN" connection on my server (DHCP/DNS/AD/VPN)
    Port 4 is connected to the "VPN" connection on my server (DHCP/DNS/AD/VPN)
    Yes, port 3 and 4 are running to same machine with 2 NICs.

    My Question:
    All PC's and my server are using a 192.168.1.x 255.255.255.0 IP range. I
    have another PC I want to try to setup in the room with router B. The only
    port open on router B is the "WAN" port. If I set this (the WAN port) for a
    static IP of 192.168.3.1 mask 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.1.1 or a gateway
    192.168.3.1 and config the extra PC as 192.168.3.2 mask 255.255.255.0
    gateway 192.168.3.1 I cannot even ping Router B(192.168.3.1 or 192.168.1.2)
    from the PC connected to the WAN port. Any ideas? Can this "WAN" port be
    used to connect two local subnets or is it in some way only able to connect
    to an internet source (Cable /DSL)? Thank you for reading this and offering
    any help.

  2. Re: Linksys routers all in a row

    "Will" wrote in message news:CqCdnXhMCqI5IrnfRVn-hg@comcast.com
    | Thanks for taking the time to read this.
    | Routing is in no way my strong point.
    | I have an issue/question that involves a cable modem, 2 linksys routers (
    | BEFW11S4 ) and a few PC's
    |
    | Ok the current setup (grab a coke this might get long winded):
    | Router A
    | Port "WAN" connected to the cable modem pulls all info via DHCP from ISP.
    | LAN side Router A is set as 192.168.1.1 DHCP is off, I have a Win2kadvanced
    | server doing the DHCP/internal DNS.
    | Port 1 is connected to a PC in the same room w/ Router A and Cable modem
    | Port 2 is connected via standard cable to Router B Port 1 (50 foot cable in
    | wall)
    | Port 3 open
    | Port 4 open
    |
    | Router B
    | Port "WAN" open
    | LAN side Router B is set as 192.168.1.2 DHCP off.
    | Port 1 is connected via standard cable to Router A Port 2 (50 foot cable in
    | wall)
    | Port 2 is connected to my gaming PC.
    | Port 3 is connected to the "LAN" connection on my server (DHCP/DNS/AD/VPN)
    | Port 4 is connected to the "VPN" connection on my server (DHCP/DNS/AD/VPN)
    | Yes, port 3 and 4 are running to same machine with 2 NICs.
    |
    | My Question:
    | All PC's and my server are using a 192.168.1.x 255.255.255.0 IP range. I
    | have another PC I want to try to setup in the room with router B. The only
    | port open on router B is the "WAN" port. If I set this (the WAN port) for a
    | static IP of 192.168.3.1 mask 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.1.1 or a gateway
    | 192.168.3.1 and config the extra PC as 192.168.3.2 mask 255.255.255.0
    | gateway 192.168.3.1 I cannot even ping Router B(192.168.3.1 or 192.168.1.2)
    | from the PC connected to the WAN port. Any ideas? Can this "WAN" port be
    | used to connect two local subnets or is it in some way only able to connect
    | to an internet source (Cable /DSL)? Thank you for reading this and offering
    | any help.

    Why are you using a Router as "Router B" and not just using a 8-port hub or Ethernet switch
    ?

    --
    Dave

  3. Re: Linksys routers all in a row

    Will wrote:
    > Thanks for taking the time to read this.
    > Routing is in no way my strong point.
    > I have an issue/question that involves a cable modem, 2 linksys routers (
    > BEFW11S4 ) and a few PC's
    >
    > Ok the current setup (grab a coke this might get long winded):
    > Router A
    > Port "WAN" connected to the cable modem pulls all info via DHCP from ISP.
    > LAN side Router A is set as 192.168.1.1 DHCP is off, I have a Win2kadvanced
    > server doing the DHCP/internal DNS.
    > Port 1 is connected to a PC in the same room w/ Router A and Cable modem
    > Port 2 is connected via standard cable to Router B Port 1 (50 foot cable in
    > wall)
    > Port 3 open
    > Port 4 open
    >
    > Router B
    > Port "WAN" open
    > LAN side Router B is set as 192.168.1.2 DHCP off.
    > Port 1 is connected via standard cable to Router A Port 2 (50 foot cable in
    > wall)
    > Port 2 is connected to my gaming PC.
    > Port 3 is connected to the "LAN" connection on my server (DHCP/DNS/AD/VPN)
    > Port 4 is connected to the "VPN" connection on my server (DHCP/DNS/AD/VPN)
    > Yes, port 3 and 4 are running to same machine with 2 NICs.
    >
    > My Question:
    > All PC's and my server are using a 192.168.1.x 255.255.255.0 IP range. I
    > have another PC I want to try to setup in the room with router B. The only
    > port open on router B is the "WAN" port. If I set this (the WAN port) for a
    > static IP of 192.168.3.1 mask 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.1.1 or a gateway
    > 192.168.3.1 and config the extra PC as 192.168.3.2 mask 255.255.255.0
    > gateway 192.168.3.1 I cannot even ping Router B(192.168.3.1 or 192.168.1.2)
    > from the PC connected to the WAN port. Any ideas? Can this "WAN" port be
    > used to connect two local subnets or is it in some way only able to connect
    > to an internet source (Cable /DSL)? Thank you for reading this and offering
    > any help.

    What I think you need to do is connect the router b wan port from a pc
    like the win2k server one or something. then from a lan port on router b
    to lan port on router A. but yes, if you can, it would be easier to use
    a switch for this if you are only using the Router B like a hub.

    i know for myself i have connected 2 routers once. my sonicwall is
    router 1 and belkin 802.llg as router 2. i have a hub in the garage. pc
    was connected to belkin router lan port, wan port from belkin was
    connected to hub. hub to lan port on sonicwall. cable modem connected to
    wan port on sonicwall. belkin provided wireless to pcs behind it and it
    just worked great. so the belkin was running as a wireless switch access
    point and was also providing parental control for me. anyway it worked fine.

  4. Re: Linksys routers all in a row

    > Why are you using a Router as "Router B" and not just using a 8-port hub
    > or Ethernet switch
    > ?
    >

    > --
    > Dave

    It's what I have on hand. The thought of getting a larger switch has
    occured to me, but was wondering I could bodge this into working. If not
    I'll be getting a new switch soon. So, it's just to see if I can.

+ Reply to Thread