which router should i use ? - Routers

This is a discussion on which router should i use ? - Routers ; hi, i'm looking for a router but i dont know which 1 i should get. i want 1 which makes a vpn connection depending on the website which is accessed and which port is in use. that way i have ...

  1. which router should i use ?

    hi,
    i'm looking for a router but i dont know which 1 i should get.
    i want 1 which makes a vpn connection depending on the website which is
    accessed and which port is in use.

    that way i have access to a newsserver & scientific websites
    via vpn and can access all other sites and other types of servers
    without vpn.

    does anybody know a brand or type which supports this option?

    --
    kroosu

  2. Re: which router should i use ?

    "kroosu" wrote in message news:1gspsd4.msbcjm1scx08wN%kroosu@tref.nl
    | hi,
    | i'm looking for a router but i dont know which 1 i should get.
    | i want 1 which makes a vpn connection depending on the website which is
    | accessed and which port is in use.
    |
    | that way i have access to a newsserver & scientific websites
    | via vpn and can access all other sites and other types of servers
    | without vpn.
    |
    | does anybody know a brand or type which supports this option?
    |
    | --
    | kroosu

    A Linksys with VPN.

    --
    Dave

  3. Re: which router should i use ?

    David H. Lipman wrote:
    > "kroosu" wrote in message news:1gspsd4.msbcjm1scx08wN%kroosu@tref.nl
    > | hi,
    > | i'm looking for a router but i dont know which 1 i should get.
    > | i want 1 which makes a vpn connection depending on the website which is
    > | accessed and which port is in use.
    > |
    > | that way i have access to a newsserver & scientific websites
    > | via vpn and can access all other sites and other types of servers
    > | without vpn.
    > |
    > | does anybody know a brand or type which supports this option?
    > |
    > | --
    > | kroosu
    >
    > A Linksys with VPN.

    Why do you say linksys and not anything else? I wouldn't support them
    cus they outsourced all their support to India. I'd support a company
    that still has their tech support etc in the U.S. Who that would be I
    have no clue.

  4. Re: which router should i use ?

    "Joe" wrote in message news:20050228221655.785$1c@news.newsreader.com

    | Why do you say linksys and not anything else? I wouldn't support them
    | cus they outsourced all their support to India. I'd support a company
    | that still has their tech support etc in the U.S. Who that would be I
    | have no clue.

    That wasn't his criteria !

    --
    Dave

  5. Re: which router should i use ?

    "David H. Lipman" wrote in message
    > "kroosu" wrote in message
    > | hi,
    > | i'm looking for a router but i dont know which 1 i should get.
    > | i want 1 which makes a vpn connection depending on the website which is
    > | accessed and which port is in use.
    > |
    > | that way i have access to a newsserver & scientific websites
    > | via vpn and can access all other sites and other types of servers
    > | without vpn.
    > |
    > | does anybody know a brand or type which supports this option?
    > |
    > | --
    > | kroosu
    >
    > A Linksys with VPN.
    >
    > --
    > Dave

    Stay clear of the WCG200 wireless-g gateway modem... I tried to get help
    from their support because the pitifully limited e-mail log function does
    nothing. I told them there is no firmware available on their site for this
    model what should I do?

    Their answer?

    Reflash the firmware!

    My response wasn't very polite to say the least. At least the livechat tech
    looked and agreed with me that there is no firmware for it. naturally that
    was no help since I'd already made that simple deduction.

    And I thought replacing my old RCA modem and linksys router with one unit
    from Linksys would be a good idea. The other guy is right, their support is
    inept since it moved. And apparently their quality control is following
    suit.

    joe

  6. Re: which router should i use ?

    of interest: I've had nothing but trouble with my D-Link router
    and had to call tech support several times. One of the last times, I was
    talking with a guy of foreign extraction when I very politely told him I
    just couldn't understand what he was saying and asked if I could talk to
    someone else. He hung up on me.
    "JoeT" wrote in message

    > "David H. Lipman" wrote in message
    >> "kroosu" wrote in message
    >> | hi,
    >> | i'm looking for a router but i dont know which 1 i should get.
    >> | i want 1 which makes a vpn connection depending on the website which is
    >> | accessed and which port is in use.
    >> |
    >> | that way i have access to a newsserver & scientific websites
    >> | via vpn and can access all other sites and other types of servers
    >> | without vpn.
    >> |
    >> | does anybody know a brand or type which supports this option?
    >> |
    >> | --
    >> | kroosu
    >>
    >> A Linksys with VPN.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Dave
    >>

    > Stay clear of the WCG200 wireless-g gateway modem... I tried to get help
    > from their support because the pitifully limited e-mail log function does
    > nothing. I told them there is no firmware available on their site for this
    > model what should I do?
    >
    > Their answer?
    >
    > Reflash the firmware!
    >
    > My response wasn't very polite to say the least. At least the livechat
    > tech looked and agreed with me that there is no firmware for it. naturally
    > that was no help since I'd already made that simple deduction.
    >
    > And I thought replacing my old RCA modem and linksys router with one unit
    > from Linksys would be a good idea. The other guy is right, their support
    > is inept since it moved. And apparently their quality control is following
    > suit.
    >
    > joe

+ Reply to Thread