Strange Router Problem - Routers

This is a discussion on Strange Router Problem - Routers ; All Help is appreciated with this problem as it is quite the nuissance. I just bought a Net Gear WGR614 router. My cable internet is working (using it now) but the router fails to share it. I can see the ...

  1. Strange Router Problem

    All Help is appreciated with this problem as it is quite the nuissance.
    I just bought a Net Gear WGR614 router. My cable internet is working
    (using it now) but the router fails to share it. I can see the 2
    computers in my network when they are connected to the router. The
    uplink port flashes on the router when connected to the internet
    (packets i assume?) but an internet connection is never found, the
    config detects my internet uses DHCP and even obtains an internet port
    ip from my isp but there is no internet access. What shall i do? note
    files transfer between my two computers so it is not a protocol
    problem, well i dont think so anyways

    Thankyou
    -proph3t

  2. Re: Strange Router Problem

    On 26 Feb 2005 03:30:01 -0800, *email_address_deleted* wrote:

    >All Help is appreciated with this problem as it is quite the nuissance.
    >I just bought a Net Gear WGR614 router. My cable internet is working
    >(using it now) but the router fails to share it. I can see the 2
    >computers in my network when they are connected to the router. The
    >uplink port flashes on the router when connected to the internet
    >(packets i assume?) but an internet connection is never found, the
    >config detects my internet uses DHCP and even obtains an internet port
    >ip from my isp but there is no internet access. What shall i do? note
    >files transfer between my two computers so it is not a protocol
    >problem, well i dont think so anyways
    >
    >Thankyou
    >-proph3t

    Sounds like you need to release the ip address before connecting the router.
    1) From a command windows, "ipconfig /release".
    2) Shutdown the computer, and power the modem off.
    3) Connect modem to router to computer.
    4) Power the modem on.
    5) Power the router on.
    6) Power the computer on.
    7) From the computer, configure the router for a dynamic WAN address.

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck

  3. Re: Strange Router Problem

    Chuck wrote in message news:<7ot12152qn993rhep7ttsp64ijr6qor39k@4ax.com>...
    > On 26 Feb 2005 03:30:01 -0800, *email_address_deleted* wrote:
    >
    > >All Help is appreciated with this problem as it is quite the nuissance.
    > >I just bought a Net Gear WGR614 router. My cable internet is working
    > >(using it now) but the router fails to share it. I can see the 2
    > >computers in my network when they are connected to the router. The
    > >uplink port flashes on the router when connected to the internet
    > >(packets i assume?) but an internet connection is never found, the
    > >config detects my internet uses DHCP and even obtains an internet port
    > >ip from my isp but there is no internet access. What shall i do? note
    > >files transfer between my two computers so it is not a protocol
    > >problem, well i dont think so anyways
    > >
    > >Thankyou
    > >-proph3t

    > Sounds like you need to release the ip address before connecting the router.
    > 1) From a command windows, "ipconfig /release".
    > 2) Shutdown the computer, and power the modem off.
    > 3) Connect modem to router to computer.
    > 4) Power the modem on.
    > 5) Power the router on.
    > 6) Power the computer on.
    > 7) From the computer, configure the router for a dynamic WAN address.

    Yeah I tried this when i disable the WMV? firewall on the router the
    internet connection is detected (well no error message anyways) but
    there is still no internet access the furthest IE will do is reply web
    site found but no data transfer at a loss please help me guys

  4. Re: Strange Router Problem

    Chuck wrote in message news:<7ot12152qn993rhep7ttsp64ijr6qor39k@4ax.com>...
    > On 26 Feb 2005 03:30:01 -0800, *email_address_deleted* wrote:
    >
    > >All Help is appreciated with this problem as it is quite the nuissance.
    > >I just bought a Net Gear WGR614 router. My cable internet is working
    > >(using it now) but the router fails to share it. I can see the 2
    > >computers in my network when they are connected to the router. The
    > >uplink port flashes on the router when connected to the internet
    > >(packets i assume?) but an internet connection is never found, the
    > >config detects my internet uses DHCP and even obtains an internet port
    > >ip from my isp but there is no internet access. What shall i do? note
    > >files transfer between my two computers so it is not a protocol
    > >problem, well i dont think so anyways
    > >
    > >Thankyou
    > >-proph3t

    > Sounds like you need to release the ip address before connecting the router.
    > 1) From a command windows, "ipconfig /release".
    > 2) Shutdown the computer, and power the modem off.
    > 3) Connect modem to router to computer.
    > 4) Power the modem on.
    > 5) Power the router on.
    > 6) Power the computer on.
    > 7) From the computer, configure the router for a dynamic WAN address.

    Sorry it was not a WMV firewall but SPI rather not sure what the acronym is for

  5. Re: Strange Router Problem

    On 27 Feb 2005 10:49:01 -0800, craigoscott@hotmail.com (proph3t) wrote:

    >Chuck wrote in message news:<7ot12152qn993rhep7ttsp64ijr6qor39k@4ax.com>...
    >> On 26 Feb 2005 03:30:01 -0800, *email_address_deleted* wrote:
    >>
    >> >All Help is appreciated with this problem as it is quite the nuissance.
    >> >I just bought a Net Gear WGR614 router. My cable internet is working
    >> >(using it now) but the router fails to share it. I can see the 2
    >> >computers in my network when they are connected to the router. The
    >> >uplink port flashes on the router when connected to the internet
    >> >(packets i assume?) but an internet connection is never found, the
    >> >config detects my internet uses DHCP and even obtains an internet port
    >> >ip from my isp but there is no internet access. What shall i do? note
    >> >files transfer between my two computers so it is not a protocol
    >> >problem, well i dont think so anyways
    >> >
    >> >Thankyou
    >> >-proph3t

    >> Sounds like you need to release the ip address before connecting the router.
    >> 1) From a command windows, "ipconfig /release".
    >> 2) Shutdown the computer, and power the modem off.
    >> 3) Connect modem to router to computer.
    >> 4) Power the modem on.
    >> 5) Power the router on.
    >> 6) Power the computer on.
    >> 7) From the computer, configure the router for a dynamic WAN address.

    >Yeah I tried this when i disable the WMV? firewall on the router the
    >internet connection is detected (well no error message anyways) but
    >there is still no internet access the furthest IE will do is reply web
    >site found but no data transfer at a loss please help me guys

    See if MAC spoofing will help. After you connect modem - router - computer,
    login to the router from the computer that was connected directly to the modem
    just previously. If your service has assigned your ip address to the MAC of the
    computer, the router can pick up that MAC address, and use that to identify
    itself to the modem. If you enable MAC address spoofing in router setup.

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck
    My email is AT DOT