Hacking WEP - Routers

This is a discussion on Hacking WEP - Routers ; Little hacking experiment Setup: Home network Netgear Wg602 wifi access point ( 54g) Router with broadband connection 1 MB P4 Encryption WEP 64 bit Receiver laptop ADVENT Amd 64 With own internal wifi card Hacking laptop As above but with ...

  1. Hacking WEP

    Little hacking experiment

    Setup: Home network
    Netgear Wg602 wifi access point ( 54g)
    Router with broadband connection 1 MB
    P4
    Encryption WEP 64 bit

    Receiver laptop
    ADVENT Amd 64
    With own internal wifi card

    Hacking laptop
    As above but with DWL-AG650 wifi card.

    Ok I have a wifi network at home and started to get a bit paranoid at the
    security of WEP encryption so I got myself a new network card DWL-AG650
    (Atheros chip set) for my laptop, downloaded the driver to put the card in
    to monitor mode.

    On my home wifi setup I logged on to P2P network and tagged about 100 mg of
    files for download. another way is to run ICMP Ping Flood.

    From my hacking laptop I then ran airodump to collect the traces of packets
    flying through the air, being generated by my wifi network.
    I left it running for approx 3 hours and collected approx 200000 class IV
    packets.

    Once completed dragged the file into aircrack, set fudge factor to 4,
    encryption to 64 started it off, within less than 2 minutes it found the
    key.

    Conclusion

    64 bit encryption not secure enough, I will try the same experiment with 128
    encryption.
    2-3 hours is not that long a time to sit out side someone's house or factory
    ( as long as there is a lot of wifi traffic).
    From these findings I now unplug my wifi when doing internet banking etc. I
    don't think I will drop the wifi as I find the flexibility very useful
    accessing the net from anywhere in the house or garden, but will now look
    into WPA.

  2. Re: Hacking WEP

    witch version have u been using? windows or *nix of airodump / aircrack?
    greez colin

    "wps" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:yyrTd.215294$K7.66971@fe2.news.blueyonder.co. uk...
    > Little hacking experiment
    >
    > Setup: Home network
    > Netgear Wg602 wifi access point ( 54g)
    > Router with broadband connection 1 MB
    > P4
    > Encryption WEP 64 bit
    >
    > Receiver laptop
    > ADVENT Amd 64
    > With own internal wifi card
    >

    > Hacking laptop
    > As above but with DWL-AG650 wifi card.
    >

    > Ok I have a wifi network at home and started to get a bit paranoid at the
    > security of WEP encryption so I got myself a new network card DWL-AG650
    > (Atheros chip set) for my laptop, downloaded the driver to put the card in
    > to monitor mode.
    >
    > On my home wifi setup I logged on to P2P network and tagged about 100 mg
    > of
    > files for download. another way is to run ICMP Ping Flood.
    >
    > From my hacking laptop I then ran airodump to collect the traces of
    > packets
    > flying through the air, being generated by my wifi network.
    > I left it running for approx 3 hours and collected approx 200000 class IV
    > packets.
    >
    > Once completed dragged the file into aircrack, set fudge factor to 4,
    > encryption to 64 started it off, within less than 2 minutes it found the
    > key.
    >
    > Conclusion
    >
    > 64 bit encryption not secure enough, I will try the same experiment with
    > 128
    > encryption.
    > 2-3 hours is not that long a time to sit out side someone's house or
    > factory
    > ( as long as there is a lot of wifi traffic).
    > From these findings I now unplug my wifi when doing internet banking etc.
    > don't think I will drop the wifi as I find the flexibility very useful
    > accessing the net from anywhere in the house or garden, but will now look
    > into WPA.

  3. Re: Hacking WEP

    windows
    http://www.cr0.net:8040/code/network/aircrack/

    "Colin Cant" wrote in message
    news:421e4cd2$0$144$fb624d75@newsspool.solnet.ch.. .
    > witch version have u been using? windows or *nix of airodump / aircrack?
    > greez colin
    >
    > "wps" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > news:yyrTd.215294$K7.66971@fe2.news.blueyonder.co. uk...
    > > Little hacking experiment
    > >
    > > Setup: Home network
    > > Netgear Wg602 wifi access point ( 54g)
    > > Router with broadband connection 1 MB
    > > P4
    > > Encryption WEP 64 bit
    > >
    > > Receiver laptop
    > > ADVENT Amd 64
    > > With own internal wifi card
    > >

    > > Hacking laptop
    > > As above but with DWL-AG650 wifi card.
    > >

    > > Ok I have a wifi network at home and started to get a bit paranoid at

    the
    > > security of WEP encryption so I got myself a new network card DWL-AG650
    > > (Atheros chip set) for my laptop, downloaded the driver to put the card

    in
    > > to monitor mode.
    > >
    > > On my home wifi setup I logged on to P2P network and tagged about 100 mg
    > > of
    > > files for download. another way is to run ICMP Ping Flood.
    > >
    > > From my hacking laptop I then ran airodump to collect the traces of
    > > packets
    > > flying through the air, being generated by my wifi network.
    > > I left it running for approx 3 hours and collected approx 200000 class

    IV
    > > packets.
    > >
    > > Once completed dragged the file into aircrack, set fudge factor to 4,
    > > encryption to 64 started it off, within less than 2 minutes it found the
    > > key.
    > >
    > > Conclusion
    > >
    > > 64 bit encryption not secure enough, I will try the same experiment with
    > > 128
    > > encryption.
    > > 2-3 hours is not that long a time to sit out side someone's house or
    > > factory
    > > ( as long as there is a lot of wifi traffic).
    > > From these findings I now unplug my wifi when doing internet banking

    etc.
    > > don't think I will drop the wifi as I find the flexibility very useful
    > > accessing the net from anywhere in the house or garden, but will now

    look
    > > into WPA.

  4. Re: Hacking WEP

    "WAYNE PHILLIPS" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:dbtTd.140962$68.9955@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.u k...
    > windows
    > http://www.cr0.net:8040/code/network/aircrack/

    thanks for youre help, got that link already ;-),
    how do i get the AP sending out crypted IV packets?

  5. Re: Hacking WEP

    You must enable wep in the security settings of your wireless access
    point/wifi modem router.

    to gain access to your wireless access point
    i.e. type http://192.168.0.1/ enter user name and password

    "Colin Cant" wrote in message
    news:421e6410$0$144$fb624d75@newsspool.solnet.ch.. .

    > "WAYNE PHILLIPS" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > news:dbtTd.140962$68.9955@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.u k...
    > > windows
    > > http://www.cr0.net:8040/code/network/aircrack/

    > thanks for youre help, got that link already ;-),
    > how do i get the AP sending out crypted IV packets?

+ Reply to Thread