looking for solution- whitelist urls - Routers

This is a discussion on looking for solution- whitelist urls - Routers ; can anyone reccomend a router that allows me to 1-block ALL web traffic 1a- to certain defined pc's in my lan only 1c except for certain urls's which would be listed by name 2- block certain services (filesharing and mail) ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: looking for solution- whitelist urls

  1. looking for solution- whitelist urls

    can anyone reccomend a router that allows me to
    1-block ALL web traffic
    1a- to certain defined pc's in my lan only
    1c except for certain urls's which would be listed by name
    2- block certain services (filesharing and mail) to all machines
    3-either accept a vpn connection directly, or pass it through to a specified
    machine
    without forcing me to make that machine the DMZ host

    bonus points if it includes some flavor of 802.11 wireless included but I
    can add
    extra bonus if I can set a password that would temporarily open a machine to
    wider
    web access/disable the block for a while..

    I need this for a work enviroment,(a hotel) where the front desk stations
    will be
    allowed to access sites useful for getting information for guests
    (i.e. maps.yahoo.com/dd, google for phone# lookups, the local biz
    establishments
    that list hours special events (like malls) and other relevant to the job
    sites)
    but block other traffic (ebay, mail.yahoo.com, aol)
    and allow me (who needs it) full access
    and allow the guests wifi access

    anyone know of such an animal?
    budget peaks around 250 for this....

    I bought one I thought would do the trick, but it has two options
    blocking individual domains, one by one
    or using "surf control" (capability built into the router) which works by
    blocking broad categories, but apparently with no exceptions.setable.

    anyone? thoughts? suggestions?
    thanks!




  2. Re: looking for solution- whitelist urls

    Kredai wrote:
    > can anyone reccomend a router that allows me to
    > 1-block ALL web traffic
    > 1a- to certain defined pc's in my lan only
    > 1c except for certain urls's which would be listed by name
    > 2- block certain services (filesharing and mail) to all machines
    > 3-either accept a vpn connection directly, or pass it through to a specified
    > machine
    > without forcing me to make that machine the DMZ host
    >
    > bonus points if it includes some flavor of 802.11 wireless included but I
    > can add
    > extra bonus if I can set a password that would temporarily open a machine to
    > wider
    > web access/disable the block for a while..
    >
    > I need this for a work enviroment,(a hotel) where the front desk stations
    > will be
    > allowed to access sites useful for getting information for guests
    > (i.e. maps.yahoo.com/dd, google for phone# lookups, the local biz
    > establishments
    > that list hours special events (like malls) and other relevant to the job
    > sites)
    > but block other traffic (ebay, mail.yahoo.com, aol)
    > and allow me (who needs it) full access
    > and allow the guests wifi access
    >
    > anyone know of such an animal?
    > budget peaks around 250 for this....
    >
    > I bought one I thought would do the trick, but it has two options
    > blocking individual domains, one by one
    > or using "surf control" (capability built into the router) which works by
    > blocking broad categories, but apparently with no exceptions.setable.
    >
    > anyone? thoughts? suggestions?
    > thanks!
    >
    >
    >


    there is nothing for yer price range that will do what you need. you'll
    have to spend over $400 for that. Sonicwall has the TZ170 which if you
    get the wireless version it will do all you want. I've looked for
    similar and nothing under $400 will do what you need. www.sonicguard.com
    sells them and is the cheapest i have ever seen for sonicwall. if you
    want to check the admin utility go to www.sonicguard.com and it's there
    i think on the left somewhere that is a link to like a demo of it. the
    TZ150 has wireless model and content filtering with allowed only or
    disabled only and categories and keywords, built in virus protection,
    IPS which is intrusion prevention service for blocking filesharing apps
    such as all p2p programs like kazaa etc and blocking hackers even more
    then a firewall does. you can set up user accounts and force them to log
    in, allow filtered or unfiltered access and times of day etc. you don't
    have to choose categories, but it's an option. you can choose to allow
    only to my list of sites etc like you want.

    Here is the urls you can look at. again, you won't find cheaper to do
    what you want as sonicwall what i am showing you i would guess and think
    is cheapest around. way more then $250 tho and yer just asking for
    waaaaay to much in that cheap of a router.

    http://www.sonicguard.com/TZ170Wireless.asp

    Here is the link so you can check out the actual interface and what all
    of the features are.

    https://sonicos2e.demo.sonicwall.com/main.html

  3. Re: looking for solution- whitelist urls

    Joe wrote:
    > Kredai wrote:
    > > can anyone reccomend a router that allows me to
    > > 1-block ALL web traffic
    > > 1a- to certain defined pc's in my lan only
    > > 1c except for certain urls's which would be listed by name
    > > 2- block certain services (filesharing and mail) to all machines
    > > 3-either accept a vpn connection directly, or pass it through to a

    specified
    > > machine
    > > without forcing me to make that machine the DMZ host
    > >
    > > bonus points if it includes some flavor of 802.11 wireless included

    but I
    > > can add
    > > extra bonus if I can set a password that would temporarily open a

    machine to
    > > wider
    > > web access/disable the block for a while..
    > >
    > > I need this for a work enviroment,(a hotel) where the front desk

    stations
    > > will be
    > > allowed to access sites useful for getting information for guests
    > > (i.e. maps.yahoo.com/dd, google for phone# lookups, the local biz
    > > establishments
    > > that list hours special events (like malls) and other relevant to

    the job
    > > sites)
    > > but block other traffic (ebay, mail.yahoo.com, aol)
    > > and allow me (who needs it) full access
    > > and allow the guests wifi access
    > >
    > > anyone know of such an animal?
    > > budget peaks around 250 for this....
    > >
    > > I bought one I thought would do the trick, but it has two options
    > > blocking individual domains, one by one
    > > or using "surf control" (capability built into the router) which

    works by
    > > blocking broad categories, but apparently with no

    exceptions.setable.
    > >
    > > anyone? thoughts? suggestions?
    > > thanks!
    > >
    > >
    > >

    >
    > there is nothing for yer price range that will do what you need.

    you'll
    > have to spend over $400 for that. Sonicwall has the TZ170 which if

    you
    > get the wireless version it will do all you want. I've looked for


    well, you are wrong
    3CRWE554G72T by 3com less than 100$. 802.11g
    Seems to fill the entire OP list except for passworded bypass.
    Apparently 30 url limit on the approved list limit- hope 30 is enough.


  4. Re: looking for solution- whitelist urls

    Marke wrote:
    > Joe wrote:
    >
    >>Kredai wrote:
    >>
    >>>can anyone reccomend a router that allows me to
    >>>1-block ALL web traffic
    >>>1a- to certain defined pc's in my lan only
    >>>1c except for certain urls's which would be listed by name
    >>>2- block certain services (filesharing and mail) to all machines
    >>>3-either accept a vpn connection directly, or pass it through to a

    >
    > specified
    >
    >>>machine
    >>> without forcing me to make that machine the DMZ host
    >>>
    >>>bonus points if it includes some flavor of 802.11 wireless included

    >
    > but I
    >
    >>>can add
    >>>extra bonus if I can set a password that would temporarily open a

    >
    > machine to
    >
    >>>wider
    >>>web access/disable the block for a while..
    >>>
    >>>I need this for a work enviroment,(a hotel) where the front desk

    >
    > stations
    >
    >>>will be
    >>>allowed to access sites useful for getting information for guests
    >>>(i.e. maps.yahoo.com/dd, google for phone# lookups, the local biz
    >>>establishments
    >>>that list hours special events (like malls) and other relevant to

    >
    > the job
    >
    >>>sites)
    >>>but block other traffic (ebay, mail.yahoo.com, aol)
    >>>and allow me (who needs it) full access
    >>>and allow the guests wifi access
    >>>
    >>>anyone know of such an animal?
    >>>budget peaks around 250 for this....
    >>>
    >>>I bought one I thought would do the trick, but it has two options
    >>>blocking individual domains, one by one
    >>>or using "surf control" (capability built into the router) which

    >
    > works by
    >
    >>>blocking broad categories, but apparently with no

    >
    > exceptions.setable.
    >
    >>>anyone? thoughts? suggestions?
    >>>thanks!
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>

    >>
    >>there is nothing for yer price range that will do what you need.

    >
    > you'll
    >
    >>have to spend over $400 for that. Sonicwall has the TZ170 which if

    >
    > you
    >
    >>get the wireless version it will do all you want. I've looked for

    >
    >
    > well, you are wrong
    > 3CRWE554G72T by 3com less than 100$. 802.11g
    > Seems to fill the entire OP list except for passworded bypass.
    > Apparently 30 url limit on the approved list limit- hope 30 is enough.
    >



    i dont think i am wrong at all. that router can't do nowhere good as
    sonicwall and it does not use parental control content filtering via
    categories etc. 3com sucks

  5. Re: looking for solution- whitelist urls


    "Joe" wrote in message news:20050219180436.552>
    >
    > i dont think i am wrong at all. that router can't do nowhere good as
    > sonicwall and it does not use parental control content filtering via
    > categories etc. 3com sucks

    Joe and marke thanks--
    I don't need category filtering as much as I need just a short whitelist
    I'll look into the 3com model.




  6. Re: looking for solution- whitelist urls

    Kredai wrote:
    > "Joe" wrote in message news:20050219180436.552>
    >
    >>i dont think i am wrong at all. that router can't do nowhere good as
    >>sonicwall and it does not use parental control content filtering via
    >>categories etc. 3com sucks

    >
    > Joe and marke thanks--
    > I don't need category filtering as much as I need just a short whitelist
    > I'll look into the 3com model.
    >
    >
    >



    let us know if the 3com does everything, i don't think so because i have
    never heard of such a device for less then $400. the only one i know for
    sure for around that cost is possibly a Zywall or sonicwall TZ170.

    i know you said you don't need categories, i just was mentioning that
    for some reason, not sure why.

+ Reply to Thread