router with internal firewall? - Routers

This is a discussion on router with internal firewall? - Routers ; Hello, maybe someone can give me an hint: I have 2 computers running important control software. Now, someone wants to connect via VNC to these computers. As the control computer has Windows NT (in the meantime I would use Linux ...

  1. router with internal firewall?

    Hello,

    maybe someone can give me an hint:

    I have 2 computers running important control software. Now, someone
    wants to connect via VNC to these computers.

    As the control computer has Windows NT (in the meantime I would use
    Linux 8-|), I am afraid of becoming infected with a computer virus.
    Therefore I want to put a firewall between the VNC computers and the
    control computers.

    I could use an ethernet/dsl router, but these routers protect only from
    external. I want to protect the control computers from internal, because
    the user on the VNC computers might get a virus.

    Are there any (relatively cheap) routers where I can easily do this?

    Maybe the Draytek Vigor routers have this feature?

    greetings

    Ernst

  2. Re: router with internal firewall?

    Linksys WRT54G is what I use for out-bound access control.
    You can block out-going traffic based on port numbers.
    It sold at around 50-70$ in the US before Christmas last year.

    It runs Linux on MIPS and provides a web-interface. Basically
    you could overwrite the firmware with your own Linux. This is
    already offered by some companies.

    One such company you might want to check out is Sveasoft. They
    provide firmwares for several routers for an annual subscription.
    The firmware provides you a real computer out of the $60 box.
    You should be able to have a firewall router with iptables or ipfw
    etc.,. I haven't tried out myself. yet..

    Hope this helps.

    Thanks,
    Senthil.

    --
    It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the
    dog.

+ Reply to Thread