Netgear switch freaking out - Routers

This is a discussion on Netgear switch freaking out - Routers ; I have a Netgear FS524 10/100 unmanaged switch at home. It's worked fine for years, but yesterday I connected a new machine with a Broadcom BCM5721 Gigabit NIC to it and soon after the switch "freaked out" and needed to ...

  1. Netgear switch freaking out

    I have a Netgear FS524 10/100 unmanaged switch at home. It's worked
    fine for years, but yesterday I connected a new machine with a Broadcom
    BCM5721 Gigabit NIC to it and soon after the switch "freaked out" and
    needed to be reset. By "freaked out", I mean that the activity lights
    started blinking erratically and would all go off for a second and
    repeat. It would do this until I reset the switch (pulled the plug and
    plugged it back in). During this time, it stopped routing packets on
    all ports.

    Then it would work ok for a few hours and then would happen again and
    need to be reset. The new machines are idle and not doing any heavy
    network traffic, btw. Is the Netgear just not happy with the Gigabit
    NICs? Could it be a cable problem?

    Any other ideas?

  2. Re: Netgear switch freaking out

    I'm not really sure what the problem could be but just for the record, I
    have a Netgear RT314 Router and it works fine with the Broadcom Gigabit NIC
    in my PC.

    Does your switch have collision indicator lights? If so, did you notice
    there being more collisions when it "freaked out"?

    Richard

    "Troy Hakala" wrote in message
    >I have a Netgear FS524 10/100 unmanaged switch at home. It's worked fine
    >for years, but yesterday I connected a new machine with a Broadcom BCM5721
    >Gigabit NIC to it and soon after the switch "freaked out" and needed to be
    >reset. By "freaked out", I mean that the activity lights started blinking
    >erratically and would all go off for a second and repeat. It would do this
    >until I reset the switch (pulled the plug and plugged it back in). During
    >this time, it stopped routing packets on all ports.
    >
    > Then it would work ok for a few hours and then would happen again and need
    > to be reset. The new machines are idle and not doing any heavy network
    > traffic, btw. Is the Netgear just not happy with the Gigabit NICs? Could
    > it be a cable problem?
    >
    > Any other ideas?

  3. Re: Netgear switch freaking out

    It does have a collision light but there are no collisions at all.

    On 2005-02-11 14:05:51 -0800, "Richard Forester"
    said:

    > I'm not really sure what the problem could be but just for the record,
    > I have a Netgear RT314 Router and it works fine with the Broadcom
    > Gigabit NIC in my PC.
    >
    > Does your switch have collision indicator lights? If so, did you
    > notice there being more collisions when it "freaked out"?
    >
    > Richard
    >
    > "Troy Hakala" wrote in message
    >> I have a Netgear FS524 10/100 unmanaged switch at home. It's worked
    >> fine for years, but yesterday I connected a new machine with a Broadcom
    >> BCM5721 Gigabit NIC to it and soon after the switch "freaked out" and
    >> needed to be reset. By "freaked out", I mean that the activity lights
    >> started blinking erratically and would all go off for a second and
    >> repeat. It would do this until I reset the switch (pulled the plug and
    >> plugged it back in). During this time, it stopped routing packets on
    >> all ports.
    >>
    >> Then it would work ok for a few hours and then would happen again and
    >> need to be reset. The new machines are idle and not doing any heavy
    >> network traffic, btw. Is the Netgear just not happy with the Gigabit
    >> NICs? Could it be a cable problem?
    >>
    >> Any other ideas?

  4. Re: Netgear switch freaking out

    Maybe you could try setting the speed on the NIC.

    Right-click My Computer and select Manage
    In Computer Management choose Device Manager and find your NIC
    In the properties of the NIC there should be an advanced tab with a property
    Speed & Duplex

    Try different values other than "Auto", like 100Mb Full or 100Mb Half.