How do you monitor router traffic volume? - Routers

This is a discussion on How do you monitor router traffic volume? - Routers ; I have a Linksys WRT54G router and I want to monitor the volume of traffic through the router, and more specifically the amount for each computer (3) connected. Are there any programs that can do this, either a second party ...

  1. How do you monitor router traffic volume?

    I have a Linksys WRT54G router and I want to monitor the volume of traffic
    through the router, and more specifically the amount for each computer (3)
    connected. Are there any programs that can do this, either a second party
    add-on or a remote program. If not, are there any routers that automatically
    do this.
    TIA

  2. Re: How do you monitor router traffic volume?

    Quarter wrote:
    > I have a Linksys WRT54G router and I want to monitor the volume of traffic
    > through the router, and more specifically the amount for each computer (3)
    > connected. Are there any programs that can do this, either a second party
    > add-on or a remote program. If not, are there any routers that automatically
    > do this.
    > TIA

    You need a program on each computer or better yet buy a firewall
    appliance that can do this like Zyxel Zywall routers www.us.zyxel.com
    look for the Zywall 2 and 10w etc. No linksys does this and none of the
    home based cheap o routers do this. Also look for a router that has SNMP
    and then you can run snmp programs to get this info, but it then would
    be totall amount not per pc. Some routers that are higher end will tell
    you what local ip downloaded and uploaded how much and where they did
    this. like what port/protocol. the zywalls do this and tell you
    192.168.1.5 downloaded 50mb and on port 80 used 5mb download and say 1mb
    upload, on port 23 they downloaded 30mb and uploaded 3mb, on port 443
    which is like going to a shopping web site they did 5mb download etc.
    and in there it tells you the top most 20 web sites visited too.

  3. Re: How do you monitor router traffic volume?

    There are a few alternative firmware for the WRT54G that might provide this
    info but I haven't tried any of them and they will definitely void your
    warranty. You may want to check out / pose this question on the linksysinfo
    web site.

    http://www.linksysinfo.org

    Richard